9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2014 1:11 PM by trshaner

Card reader not recognized in Windows Explorer

grichie5 Level 1

My Dell XPS 8500 has an internal card reader. An inserted card was always recognized as soon as it was inserted. After installing Lightroom, the inserted card is no longer  recognized by My Computer until after I start lightroom and begin the import process. I would prefer to copy my photos from the card to a chosen file on my hard drive without Lightroom's intervention. Is there a way to accomplish this?

• 1. Re: Card reader not recognized in Windows Explorer
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Insert a card, right click on that drive, choose 'Open Autoplay,' and choose the option you want.

• 2. Re: Card reader not recognized in Windows Explorer
            grichie5 Level 1

How do I right click on thew drive if I cannot see it?

• 3. Re: Card reader not recognized in Windows Explorer

Are you saying Windows Explorer doesn't show the card reader as a drive letter (E: or other letter), but LR does? Please take a screenshot of the LR Import screen and Windows Explorer screens as shown below. On my system the card reader appears as drive I: in both Windows Explorer and LR's Import module:

• 4. Re: Card reader not recognized in Windows Explorer
                grichie5 Level 1

That is exactly what I am saying. When I insert the card into the reader, it does not appear in Windows Explorer (or My Computer). However, if I open the import dialogue in Lightroom, the card appears, as drive m, as the source of the images to be imported. Once I start the import process, the card then shows in Explorer as drive M.

Interestingly enough, if I go to device manager after inserting the card and click on the SD line listed under the Disk Drive section, the card will then show up un Explorer, still as Drive M.

Somehow, it seems to want to be woken up by opening a program or setting that needs it.

Not a great inconvenience, but puzzling.

Richard

• 5. Re: Card reader not recognized in Windows Explorer
                  grichie5 Level 1

After I responded to you, I searched the internet and found that others have had this problem with Windows 8 particularly. Someone suggested that I uninstall the SD drive from the device manager and then search for new Hardware. That did the trick, The card now shows up when I insert it.

Thanks for your interest.

Richard

• 6. Re: Card reader not recognized in Windows Explorer

Glad you got it resolved. Sounds like the driver was corrupted or incompatible with your version of Windows 8. Removal and search for new hardware may have downloaded a newer driver version from MS's driver site (i.e. Search the Internet Option).

Most of the internal card readers are USB 2.0 and your system has USB 3.0 slots. I would suggest purchasing an external USB 3.0 card reader, which will provide faster transfer rates and support the higher speed & capacity memory cards.

• 8. Re: Card reader not recognized in Windows Explorer
                      grichie5 Level 1

The last solution(?) I reported did not solve the problem, which reappeared after several reboots. But..I went to the Dell support site and found a new driver for the built in card reader.

After a download and install, the problem seems to have been solved.

Frustrating that I tried to download drivers from within Device Manager and was told my drivers were up to date. The fact that the card could be seen in Lightroom and other photo viewing sites led me to believe that the driver was not at fault, but one never knows with computers.

What I thought was a Lightroom problem turned out to be a Windows 8.1 update problem.

Anyway, thanks for your interest and help.

Richard

• 9. Re: Card reader not recognized in Windows Explorer

grichie5 wrote:

The last solution(?) I reported did not solve the problem, which reappeared after several reboots. But..I went to the Dell support site and found a new driver for the built in card reader.

After a download and install, the problem seems to have been solved.

It's always best to download drivers from the OEM's web site (i.e. Dell), since they may be system specific or newer than what MS has in their Updates. Ditto for the device updates that MS rolls out. I never load these or their graphics driver updates.