6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 11:57 AM by A.T. Romano

Memory Question

cook2son

I am currently running Premier Elements 9 on an AMD Phenom II 840T quad-core processor with ATI Radeon HD-4200 integrated graphics, 14GB RAM, and a 1TB scratch disk under Win7.  I recently recorded a 3-hour interview (3 segments @ approx. 1-hour) and now wish to edit everything down to perhaps 30 mins or so.  A single 1-hour clip is extremely cumbersome and I want to break each into more manageable units but I'm running into trouble.  Elements is choking, giving me "Out of Memory" messages, and telling me the system is unstable, etc.  Is this due to the integrated video, which I assume is sharing a minimum of my RAM.  Will a 1GB plug-in video card solve this problem?  Elements has worked fine in the past, I grew accustomed to the fact that the larger the video clip inserted into the timeline the slower things work, but this has got me frustrated.  What are your recommendations for a good video card?  I'm volunteering for a non-profit so $400 video cards are not a solution - try something under $100.  Thanks in advance.  Alex Cook - Tucson, AZ

• 1. Re: Memory Question
          hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hello Alex,

first I would use Google to get a comparison in performance capability and price. After that you could have a look at ebay's offers.

Good luck in your voluntary commitments!

Hans-Günter

• 2. Re: Memory Question
            A.T. Romano Level 7

cook2son

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of Windows 7 64 bit and as such has the limitations of 32 bit system, namely maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which 3.2 to 3.0 or less of that are available.

Premiere Elements 10, 11, and 12 Windows are 64 bit applications only when run specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Then you can take full advantage of your 14 GB installed RAM for Premiere Elements purposes. I do not see the video card overcoming the computer operating system limitation.

An optimized computer and management of the Scratch Disks can get you just so far in this regard.

If you do decide to move to 10, 11, 12, or the newest version due to be released any day, please look at the free 30 day tryout before purchase to assure

compatibility with your computer operating system and project goals.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

• 3. Re: Memory Question
              A.T. Romano Level 7

hans-g

Please explain to what extent this video card upgrade is going to overcome the limitations of the a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system.

For about $100 dollars you could move up to Premiere Elements 10, 11, 12, or next on Windows 7 64 bit to take advantage of the installed 14 GB RAM (system RAM) rather to seek any advantage video card RAM.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Memory Question
                cook2son Level 1

Hans-g,

Thanks for your speedy reply and encouragement.  See my reply to ATR.

Alex 

• 5. Re: Memory Question
                  cook2son Level 1

ATR,

I think I will try your suggestion of testing the 30-day tryout.  The "free" part is especially attractive.  If the project shows a significant increase in productivity, it will definitely be worth the cost of an upgrade - I've been thinking of doing an upgrade, anyway.  The recovery of time lost waiting for rendering and just loading video will more than cover the expense of an upgrade.  I knew that running 32-bit programs on a 64-bit machine wasn't optimal but I guess throwing in the video aspect and the increase use of resources was much more critical than I imagined.  Thanks for the suggestion and I'll let you know how things turn out.

Alex

p.s.  You mentioned that you anticipate a NEW version release is imminent.  Any more news that you can share?

• 6. Re: Memory Question
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

cook2son

Thanks for the follow ups.

I am just a user/visitor in this Adobe Premiere Elements Forum user to user. I have no insider information on Adobe matters.

Only Adobe knows the release date and related information for the new version.

Based on history, many have predicted that the release of this latest version should be any day. I will be downloading the new

version tryout the moment it is released, and, as fast as my not too speedy Internet connect will permit, I will be exploring the new

version and reporting on it in depth.

But any questions or need clarification on your Premiere Elements workflows, please let us know.

Thanks.

ATR