2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 9:31 PM by Willi Adelberger

Any ideas for software to allow client insertion of photos/text

Snowball5500

My client is looking for cost savings by asking his employees to do their own brochures using the design that I have created as the template.

Employees have no InDesign etc experience. This must be super simple.

Can anyone point me toward a software solution for non-designer execution of new iterations of a predetermined design? Off the shelf or does this need to be custom made?

Non-designers should be able to place photos within masked areas and put in their own headlines and text (at specified lengths).

• 1. Re: Any ideas for software to allow client insertion of photos/text
          MW Design Level 4

I don't know of any solution that can be done by absolutely untrained personnel.

If they can run Excel, one could make a data merge template. The employees would need to be able to make changes to the Excel file. But you can make all but the entry cells protected so the spreadheet headers at least cannot be altered. And they would still need to start InDesign and be taught how to merge to a new document.

I created an XML run-in template for a local business and taught them how to edit the XML, start ID and update the link. At the beginning they had a few issues, but after a few visits for follow-up training, they have been running it for a couple years without too much of an issue. I still need to make new run-in templates once in a while, but they don't need trained on how to use them any more.

Seems to me the data merge might be easier to train your customer to do as it is pretty much like mail merge in Word, etc.

Mike

• 2. Re: Any ideas for software to allow client insertion of photos/text
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

That is what InCopy is designed for. But for the final output they will need InDesign.