18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2014 10:47 AM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments

A.T. Romano Level 7

I have no insider information on the release of Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13, but some parts of the world appear

to be publishing information on the new version (at this writing 12:30 am September 24, 20l4). Please refer to

Adobe announces Photoshop Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13: Digital Photography Review

Based on the above, it looks like "Steady Shaky Footage" is being promoted as an enhance Stabilizer in Premiere Elements 13.

The article states that Adobe announced the release of the new version "today", and the article is dated September 24, 2014. But, I see

no evidence at this moment that Adobe has released the version here.

More news as it becomes available.

ATR

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
          A.T. Romano Level 7

I have just received word from another forum associate that Photoshop Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13 are here.

Please refer to

Video making software | Adobe Premiere Elements 13

Picture editor, edit pictures | Adobe Photoshop Elements 13

ATR

Add On...I have just started the download of the tryout of Premiere Elements 13 - 5 hours to go.

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
            Pete.Green Adobe Employee

Thanks for the updates and info ATR!

Let us know what you think!

Regards,

Pete

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
              A.T. Romano Level 7

The installation of the Adobe Premiere Elements 13 tryout has completed and my very detailed First Look blog for the new version has begun.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 13 First Look Details

Essential links include:

Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Help PDF

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Overview/Features/Tech Specs/Reviews/FAQ/Buying Guide

Video making software | Adobe Premiere Elements 13

ATR

Add On...As the exploration and experimentation with Adobe Premiere Elements 13 progresses,  daily discovery entries will also be made into the Premiere Elements 13 Daily Discovery blog

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 13 Daily Discoveries

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                whsprague Level 4

Pete.Green wrote:

Thanks for the updates and info ATR!

Let us know what you think!

Regards,

Pete

Pete (or others),

Can you help me find a reference to Premier Elements 13 and it's ability to process "4K" footage.

As I'm sure you know, newer cameras, camcorders and even cell phones from Sony, Panasonic and Samsung are touting 4K video formats.  Nikon and Canon, not so much!  It seems to be important enough that other NLE providers are making it clear in their marketing promotions that 4K formats are usable and supported. 

I've spent my morning trying to find specific information from Adobe.  So far, all I can find are blogs and forum posts suggesting I download a trial version and test it with my camera's footage.  Since I don't have a Pansonic GH4, or similar, yet, it would help to know what Adobe wants consumers to know about 4K and using it.

Thanks...

Bill -- a loyal Adobe customer

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                  PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi,

Premiere Elements supports XAVC S format. 3840x2160 resolution MP4 files for input and export (Publish/Share - - > Computer - - > XAVC) .

Regards,

Premiere Elements team

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                    whsprague Level 4

PRE_help wrote:

Hi,

Premiere Elements supports XAVC S format. 3840x2160 resolution MP4 files for input and export (Publish/Share - - > Computer - - > XAVC) .

Regards,

Premiere Elements team

Thank you for your fast reply.  I'll be upgrading from version 11 because I have a new 4K capable camera.  I know it is not a big sale for you, but for me it's better than learning something else!

May I suggest you pass the word to your marketing department.    There are several cameras from Panasonic, Sony and Samsung that are now selling well for their 4K capability.  Buyers of those video capable cameras will be buying 4K capable NLEs.  You competitors at the consumer level, including Sony, Cyberlink and Corel, are making their 4K capability obvious.   Your marketing department seems to be keeping it a secret!

Bill

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

I would agree with you on the following for Premiere Elements 12 and 13 Windows 64 bit.

but might I ask you for clarification?

4K is not a video compression, it is a video resolution (in this case, 3840 x 2160 pixels). And, it appears that the 4K video from one camera manufacturer does not necessarily have the same video compression as does a 4K video from another camera manufacturer.

And specifically, Premiere Elements 12 and now 13 appear to have import (project presets) and export settings opportunities for a video file with the 4K sizing and XAVC S video compression. It is my understanding that the XAVC video compression is from Sony and the XAVC S is its consumer version of its XAVC.

But, the question was asked about the "4K video" from the Panasonic GH4 camera and its compatibility with Premiere Elements 13 (presumed Windows). From what I have been able to dig out of the online reports, this format uses what is called IPB video compression. So, I would question the interpretation that all 4K video is compatible with Premiere Elements 12 or 13 until the video in question is actually tested in Premiere Elements 12 or 13. Have you tested the Panasonic GH4 4K video in Premiere Elements 12 or 13?

Online I found a 4K .mov file (3840 x 2160) which was said to have been recorded with the Panasonic GH4. .I downloaded and tested it in Premiere Elements 12 and 13. The GSpot utility named the video codec as H.264. The frame rate was 29.97 progressive frames per second. I imported the file into Premiere Elements 12 and 13 with Project Preset = NTSC/AVCHD/QFHD 16:9 29.97, and I exported that Timeline content using:

Publish+Share/Computer/XAVC S with presets = MP4 - H.264 3840 x 2160 29.97p 30 Mbps.

No problems were found in doing the import or export. GSpot codec named the video codec of the export as H.264/MPEG4 AVC (the common designation for AVCHD).

I am doing a First Look study on Premiere Elements 13 and will be reporting on other exports of the new version as well as all its other features new and old.

ATR

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                        PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi,

We have not tested with Panasonic GH4 camera footages.

Regards,
                        Premiere Elements Team

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                          whsprague Level 4

PRE_help wrote:

Hi,

We have not tested with Panasonic GH4 camera footages.

Regards,
                          Premiere Elements Team

It seems a little odd that you would not have tested the GH4.  As we discuss this there are only three cameras you can buy with 4K capability, the Panasonic GH4 hybrid, the Sony FDR-AX100 camcorder and the Panasonic FZ1000 bridge/superzoom.  The Panasonic LX100 was shown at Photkina and will be shipping soon.  It has been written that Sony, Panasonic and Samsung will include 4K capability in everything they bring out from now on.  Even some smartphones, including the popular Samsung Galaxy S5 shoots 4K. 

These are not "professional" cameras, they are "consumer" cameras.  Premier Elements is "consumer" software where Premier CC is "professional" software.  Buyers of these cameras are going to be shopping for "consumer" video editing software and the first thing they will be looking for is 4K compatibility.

I'm one of them.  After 4 years of using 3 versions of PrE to edit AVCHD footage, I will be "moving up".  I don't want to learn another editor. 

Would you please tell me what you meant by writing, "Premiere Elements supports XAVC S format. 3840x2160 resolution MP4 files for input and export (Publish/Share - - > Computer - - > XAVC) .

Bill

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                            PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi Bill,

You can try to import the footage with the Trial version of Premiere Elements 13. Even though we have not specifically tested this, you can try with these footages and decide whether they work to your satisfaction. The underlying criteria for the files from "4K" cameras to work is

1. H264 compression

2. Frame size of 3840 x 2160

3. Frame rate of 29.97, 23.976 or 59.94

If these conditions match, the footages should import and work just fine in Premiere Elements. We see that the GH4 footages match (H264 - 3840x2160 - 29.97 progressive). So we do not foresee any issues. Do let us know in any case.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                              whsprague Level 4

You can try to import the footage with the Trial version of Premiere Elements 13. .... We see that the GH4 footages match (H264 - 3840x2160 - 29.97 progressive). So we do not foresee any issues. Do let us know in any case.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

Thank you!

Through friends on a camcorder forum, I am gathering up some 4K footage from a couple of consumer cameras.   For a short clip directly from a GH4, you can download a "focus test" of a very green bicycle here:  https://vimeo.com/102737409

I'll need to install the Trial Version of 13 so will need to ramp up the courage to add software to a system that has been stable with Elements, Lightroom and some plug-ins for a few years.  I will do my best to let you know how it goes.  I'm tempted skip the test phase and get on with buying the upgrade and remodeling my system!

In the mean time, I found where an online friend that I may have once convinced to buy Premier Elements 11.  When he bought a GH4 a few months ago, he upgraded to 12.   He has written a detailed explaination of his process and includes reference to ATRomano.   I'm pasting what he wrote on another forum as a possible guide to owners of 4K cameras.

"ATRomano is a neat guy. He has patiently given me alot of hand holding instructions about how to do various things with the PE12 program, whereas the other techs there often give unintelligible software-ease type answers. ATR does not seem to own a 4K camera, however, so he doesn't seem to have any first hand 4K editing experience with the PE program.

All GH4 4K/30fps videos I have shot have been recorded as MP4 files. On a Mac you just drag them into the PE 12 (and presumably PE 13) timeline. After editing you click on Publish & Share, click on Computer, then click on "AVCHD Use for exporting AVCHD". Then you click the Back button and this time click on 'XAVC-S Use for exporting XAVC-S". Then you click on MP4-H264 3840x2160 29.97 200 Mbps. Then you click on Advanced and make fine adjustments like selecting VBR 2-pass, bring the target bitrate down to 40-50 mbps if planning to upload to Youtube and also adjust your audio export settings. At this point you will have created a Preset that can be used in the future for rendering future 4K videos. The rendered 4K video will be a MP4 file just like the original was. The quality of the edited 4K video will still be excellent with not hardly any loss of detail and color depth as compared to the original that came straight out of the GH4. And the file size of the edited video will be similar to or slightly larger than the original."

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                                johng1234321 Level 1

Does PRE13 work correctly with a GOpro Black 3+.  Specifically, I use PRE11 when I import gopro files 1920x1080 30fps, edit and just playback it looks a little choppy.  The same video imported in gopro studio looks much better.  Why?  Have you improved pre13 to properly handle gopro video.  I have not tried shooting 4k yet, since my poor experience so far.

• 13. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

johng1237321

The GoPro3+ Black offers H.264.mp4 (with resolution to 4K) which should be handled OK with Premiere Elements 13 project presets and export settings.

Even though I do not have a camera that records 4K video, contrary to a mis-statement in this thread, I have had experience editing 4K video (from more than one camera manufacturer) using Premiere Elements 12 and now 13. More detailed results at another time.

As for your GoPro 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second, what are you or the project setting as the Premiere Elements 11 project preset. Please confirm via Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio. The project preset should match the properties of your source media. Consequently, you should be using the project preset (assumed NTSC setup)

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

Edit Menu/Project Settings/General should display as follows

DLSR.JPG

When you were seeing this choppy video in the playback of the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor, was there an orange

line over its content when you first dragged the video to the Timeline (before you edited)?

If the video presents with no colored line, then let us force render it and then observe the playback of that rendered video.

To force render the video, right click the Timeline video, select Time Stretch, and, in the Time Stretch dialog, change the

Speed % to 99. OK out of there, and render the Timeline video and observe its playback quality.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On - I am going to post the link to your GoPro3+ Black in case be need to refer back to one of your recording modes.

HERO3+ Black Edition | Wi-Fi enabled | Most Advanced HD GoPro Ever

• 14. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                                    johng1234321 Level 1

I do not remember orange.  So I just opened PRE11 and looked under settings and it was 1080i under general > general. editing mode at first until I imported a gopro clip and then it changed and matched your screen.  Under video rendering I checked max bit depth.  I just finished another gopro and this time the brush in the moving area was very pixelated.

If I watch the original clip in windows media player it looks much better.

• 15. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

johng1234321

With regard to

I just finished another gopro and this time the brush in the moving area was very pixelated.

Please confirm, are you referring to viewing of an export of the Timeline content?

If so, please details your export settings Publish+Share/Computer/ and then what? And what did you set for Presets?

Did you use the defaults for the preset selected or did you click on the Advanced Button/Video Tab and customize

export settings?

If you are referring to viewing in the Edit mode monitor, please look at the Edit Menu/Preferences/General and the

Timeline Rendering Quality, switching it to High Quality instead of Draft Quality. Contrary to what I expected in another

thread today, that suggested from PRE_help worked for a user who was reporting "pixelation" in the previewing.

Also, please check the properties of the source to assure that you are working with progressive and not interlaced video.

So, please clarify so that we can put this altogether for you and get it working.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                                        johng1234321 Level 1

Well let start with.  When I do a project with video from my Samsung S4 phone or my IPhone 5 it looks great on computer screen and when I play back a burned DVD or AVHCD.

It is the GoPro video that  PRE11 has a problem with.

First the computer screen.  On both of my computers when I right click on the playback screen.

Quality Highest; Magnification Fit; Safe Margin unchecked; Playback External device None; Aspect Hardware; Desktop Audio; 24Progresive Conversion Interlaced 2332; Export External Device DV 29.97 720; Checked Disable video output.

As for Publish.  DVD I use preset NTSC widescreen dvd; AVCHD h264 1920x1080I ntsc.

The project I am now working on I just Cleaned Media Cache database.  I thought the green render bar would change.  IT DID NOT.  I hit render and it immediately played.

Any other ideas why the GoPro video looks bad on computer screen & on dvd on hd tv.

• 17. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                                          whsprague Level 4

johng1234321 wrote:

.....Any other ideas why the GoPro video looks bad on computer screen & on dvd on hd tv.

I'm sure ATRomano can confirm or correct this, but I think I remember that GoPro footage may need to be processed through GoPro's own Studio software to get frame rates consistent with project presets when mixed with footage from other sources.  

Bill

• 18. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

johng1234321

Thank you for the reply. What I was looking for mostly are the properties of the 1920 x 1080p30 GoPro3+ Black footage that you are trying to use in

Premiere Elements 11. Are you working with the H.264.mp4 format or are you working with a Cineform.avi format? If it is the H.264.mp4 format, I am

not seeing why you should be doing anything else but importing the H.264.mp4 into Premiere Elements 11 using the project preset set by you manually or the project automatically. Best you set the project preset manually to assure the correct project preset in this case.

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

There are times when the project does not interpret correctly the properties of the video when it is the first file dragged to the Timeline. When it does not do it correctly, it does not give you the closest possible fit between project preset and properties of source media, instead it gives you its default 1080i which is not appropriate for your 1080p footage.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

To get a better perspective on your comparison between your cell phone and GoPro results....are you saying that you can take the videos from the cell phones and import them into Premiere Elements 11 without issue, audio out of sync or other? Are you converting the cell phone video at any time - to change a variable to constant frame size or other?

Depending on your details, I would offer to look at a sample of your specific H.264.mp4 file for which you cannot get a decent DVD-VIDEO on DVD or AVCHD format on DVD disc. If you opt to do this, you might consider sending the sample via a Dropbox link posted in this thread. I am concerned that your GoPro issue on Premiere Elements 11 is going to get lost in this thread on a different topic. If we do not gain ground on the issue soon, please consider starting a new thread on your issue so that the details and especially the results will be found more easily by those users seeking answers for the type of problem that you describe.

The answers will be in the details.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR