8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2014 1:29 PM by rob day

Unable to find PMS Process Magenta C on indesign cs6

izzybean Level 1

Hi I'm working in indesign cs6 and trying to create a print file for a client who has specified 5 colours - CMYK and a Process Spot Colour.

My trouble is when i look for the spot colour 'PMS Process Magenta C' under the Pantone+Solid Coated swatch menu, It's not there ??? The closest magenta colour i can find on there is Pantone Magenta 0521C, and that colour is way off.

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Unable to find PMS Process Magenta C on indesign cs6
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why would you spec process magenta as a 5th color? You already have it in CMYK, unless they are running a bump plate for images.

• 2. Re: Unable to find PMS Process Magenta C on indesign cs6
            izzybean Level 1

I have no idea. Seems a bit strange to me but just following their brand guidelines

• 3. Re: Unable to find PMS Process Magenta C on indesign cs6

You can make a spot color named Pantone Process Magenta. It's color definition can be anything if it really runs as an extra plate. Either 100% magenta or it's Lab equivalent.. Use 100% magenta if ther's a chance it's not outputting as a spot color.

• 4. Re: Unable to find PMS Process Magenta C on indesign cs6
                izzybean Level 1

Not too sure how i go about that - currently using CMYK with 100% magenta - is that what your mean??

• 5. Re: Unable to find PMS Process Magenta C on indesign cs6

From the swatches panel make a new swatch called Pantone Process Magenta, set it's type to spot, it's color mode to CMYK, and its color to 0|100|0|0. But the requested spec makes no sense.

• 6. Re: Unable to find PMS Process Magenta C on indesign cs6

Are you sure they want to run an extra plate? The Pantone+ Color Bridge library includes Process Magenta, but that's no different than choosing 0|100|0|0 CMYK. The Bridge colors are process not spot:

Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 10.46.51 AM.png

There are only a couple of reasons I can think of to run an extra plate with a duplicate process color. You want the press person to be able to control the gray balance of images without affecting objects in the layout that are also assigned the color. Or you want a double hit or "bump" of the color to increase saturation. It's been awhile since I've had a client willing to pay for those kinds of subtleties.

• 7. Re: Unable to find PMS Process Magenta C on indesign cs6
                      Mojorocker1964 Level 1

I have run into this on several occasions. The reason there is no Process Magenta in the Pantone color Pallet is that CMYK or Process colors are translucent in reality. On the press, each color must absorb light and reflect it at given wavelengths. How much is determined by the size of the dot being printed and the amount of background (usually white paper) that is allowed to show through. The fact that the inks are clear equalizes all of the colors to the exact same degree and takes "mixing" out of the picture. I may have some of the finer technical details a bit fuzzy, but the over all idea is that if you stick your finger in true process inks (Magenta, Cyan, Yellow, and yes even Black) you will see that they are technically tinted clear inks. With that, if someone asks for Process Magenta, what they really mean is Magenta. The term Process Magenta is intended for 4 color process printing only and not for spot colors. Recently Pantone decided to remove the Process Magenta from it's standard PMS spot colors for this reason. I only wish they had replaced it with a color named Magenta so it would not require a lesson in light waves to explain to your customer why they can't have Process Magenta anymore. I hope this helps.

• 8. Re: Unable to find PMS Process Magenta C on indesign cs6

I only wish they had replaced it with a color named Magenta so it would not require a lesson in light waves to explain to your customer why they can't have Process Magenta anymore.

You can't have a spot color or make a swatch named Magenta the name is reserved along with Cyan, Yellow, and Black. If you try to place a file with a spot color named Magenta you'll get an error as in this case a PS file with a Spot Channel named Magenta:

Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 4.17.14 PM.png

There's also nothing stopping you from making a spot color named PANTONE Process Magenta C, InDesign will happily allow that spot. Here I've renamed the Spot Channel in PS and the color is added to swatches:

Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 4.17.22 PM.png