0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 10:31 PM by Peirasmos

Lightroom 5.6 on Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1 tying up CPUs, running very slowly

Peirasmos

Hi,

I have Lightroom 5.6. Whenever I use the Spot removal, Graduated filter, Radial filter or Adjustment brush tools in the develop module, it ties up the 6 CPU cores (as viewed in Task Manager) so everything goes very slowly. For example, the effect of a stroke with the Adjustment brush only appears on screen after 5 seconds or more.  Sometimes it gets so bad that I have to kill the process and restart Lightroom.  It affects other programs running at the same time, as they can't get enough CPU.  It is basically unusable. An edit that should take five minutes can take an hour.

The problem happens when I either

• In the Library module I select an image that I have previously used the tools mentioned above on

or

• In the Develop module when I use those tools.

It is not just an issue with Lr 5.6 - previous versions also did this on my system.

My workflow is:

1. Browse the library module, adding images to a collection (Canon EOS 7D raw)
      2. For each image in the collection I:
        1. Select the image
        2. Create a virtual copy
        3. Stack the original and copy together
        4. Edit the copy
        5. Export AdobeRGB 16 bit PSD to Photoshop for sharpening and conversion to CMYK
        6. Place the image into my InDesign document

I occasionally use Perfect Photo Suite 8.x on my images from within Lightroom.

I have been a software developer for over 30 years, so I'm not doing anything stupid. Lightroom is just spinning the CPU cores to no effect, like it has a thread or threads in an infinite loop.

I typically have Lightroom, Photoshop (CC or CS6) and InDesign CS6 running at the same time.  All three together occupy just over half of the available RAM.

I have a prettty fast machine (see the specs below) and other software does not tie it up like this (except rendering video in Pr or Ae, which I expect).

I have tried googling for an answer, with no success.

I feel this is an issue that Adobe ought to provide technical assistance for, given the technical nature and severity of the problem.

Please help.

Machine details:

• Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Service pack 1, all updates applied
      • Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor
      • Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
      • Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
      • Primary hard disk 71GB Free (209GB Total)
      • Disk Storage Total: 5.9 TB