14 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2015 12:03 PM by iuliuf54644687

GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance

alexdejesus Level 1

PPBM 23 Sept again.jpgYes, I have both GPUs installed on an ASUS P9X79-E WS motherboard with 64 GB Corsair Dominator RAM and i7-4930K 6-core processor Win 7. Supposedly, the GeForce has the superior performance while the Quadro is for color processing and stability. Combined they have 7 GB VRAM and almost 4000 CUDA cores. But I see no real performance boost over having just one of the cards installed. Video preview playback in Adobe Premiere Pro is still jerky and renders are slow. SSD OS drive and 16 TB RAID 0 (4 x 4TB WD Black) for media storage.

The Quadro is in slot 1 and the GTX in slot 5 - both PCI-E 3 16x all latest drivers are installed. System CPU is OC'd to 4.272 GHz and XMP Mode. I have followed all the PC tuning procedures.

I notice that the NVidia GPU Utilization graph shows moderate output of both cards (10 - 25%) during times of little stress. But, during times of high stress - with special effects applied to clips or during rendering, When it really should be kicking some CUDA acceleration, it seems the CPU is taking over the brunt of the work while the GPUs drop their output to almost 0% according to the graphs. I think the opposite should be happening. NVidia control panel settings are currently set to defaults, although I had changed the CUDA accel setting temporarily to the GTX card only and then to the Quadro only. I had also removed one and then the other GPU. Since Premiere capitalizes on CUDA technology, I expect to see acceleration kick in from both cards. I wonder should I change any of the 3D settings in the control panel?

On a side note, I have been told by a PNY Quadro rep that my configuration of both GPUs installed is neither recommended nor supported. What is up with that Adobe?

I have posted this question before, but I have yet to find an answer. This system should be a 'monster' I am told, but so far I am not feeling it. I did the PPBM benchmark yesterday and posted my results.

• 1. Re: GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

PNY wants to sell Quadro cards and wont recommend the 2 together. However you are definitely not the first person to do this nor the last. This configuration has been used for years. If the GPU load is next to 0 on render then you need to make sure your getting the GPU acceleration in Media Encoder. Are you using queue out of Premiere or Export?

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance
            alexdejesus Level 1

No CUDA Quadro.jpgNo CUDA.jpgGPU Graph.jpgEric, I meant rendering the timeline for playback - to get rid of the red line. Exporting is another story. Seems like it should be a lot faster than it is. I tried both direct export from Premiere and via AME. It shouldn't take an 40 minutes for a 6-minute clip to export h264

I'm concerned also because the PNY rep said that they will not support or honor a warranty in this configuration. The guy said that I was "on my own"

The GPU Utilization graph shows the Quadro doing a lot more of the work, but when playing back the timeline with non-accelerated effects like Neat De-noiser, both graphs go to near zero while the CPU takes over. Also, in the other screen shots, it's odd that GPU-Z utility shows both cards with CUDA unchecked, although the control panel is set to GTX780 CUDA acceleration. NVidia control panel is strange. I set the CUDA to GTX780 and it reverted back to Quadro. It happened several times, and finally it took. I tried to change the global setting first, and it was grayed out - could not be changed. Then finally it changed!

Something is not right with this setup and I doubt it has anything to do with both cards installed. There is something else causing this computer to throttle back. I have yet to see it perform anywhere near its potential. My other system was the same way. Just barely performing as long as no effects are applied.

• 3. Re: GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance
              alexdejesus Level 1

export.jpgExporting a 5-6 minute clip with effects. Graph shows Quadro doing the work and GTX780 doing nothing. AME does not have a CUDA setting in the NVidia Control Panel.

• 4. Re: GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

You have to add AME to the Nvidia control panel. Do that by adding a program and then go browse to the AME.exe.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance
                  alexdejesus Level 1

Yeah, I did that and everything is set to GTX780. The Base profile global set to GTX780, Premiere and AME to GTX780. But when I export the timeline (with effects applied) the GPU graph shows only the Quadro working 10% while the GTX780 is flat lined at zero. Otherwise, it's all CPU at 50% and 16 GB RAM out of 64 GB. I'm telling you, there's something throttling back my machine. It is simply not pushing through what it needs to.

Maybe I should just pull out the Quadro and be done with it already. But the GTX alone wasn't doing any better.

• 6. Re: GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I know it is inconvenient but pulling the Quadro and deleting the driver may be a way to check your performance, but I looked again at your PPBM results ("59","77","22","432", Premiere Version:, 8.0.1.21) and your configuration and I am not sure what  part of the benchmark you want to improve.  I doubt there will be much change.  Forget your utilization percentages it is strictly dependent on what you choose in your project.

If you want to see 99% GPU utilization watch it during the PPBM MPEG2-DVD timeline with GPU Hardware acceleration and if you want to see 100% CPU utilization look at it with CPU only.  We designed very disk intensive, CPU intensive and very GPU dependent timelines purposely for these benchmarks.

• 7. Re: GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance
                      alexdejesus Level 1

It's not inconvenient. I have already pulled the cards and reinstalled drivers.

I know that my benchmark readings seem reasonably good, but real-world performance is not. I just sank $7 thousand U.S dollars into this build and yet I see virtually no difference from my last build of 3 years ago. The pictures and graphs I posted cannot simply be dismissed. They tell me something. When Premiere is doing something very intensive, I expect the responsible components to respond and behave accordingly. The CPU seems to do what it needs to when called. But the GPUs are barely working. On one occasion, RAM utilized over half of its 64 GB. Otherwise, it hovers at max 20-25 GB of use.  The storage drives seem to operate at what they are rated, although I think they should be even faster. It's like there is a governor in the system throttling it back, like a golf cart when you floor the gas pedal and it barely speeds up.

I sit here watching the monitor amazed at how slow it renders and exports. Even with minimal or no effects applied it struggles. I have already replaced both GPUs thinking they were defective. There must be a driver issue when I set CUDA acceleration for one GPU and the other GPU ends up doing all the work. The PNY rep may be right that both GPUs do not belong.  But even so, with one or the other installed alone, is problematic.

Premiere still does its job and I can still operate. I hate to sound so negative. But I know when something is not right. Thanks for allowing me to vent

• 8. Re: GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance
                        iuliuf54644687

Hello sir,

Did you manage to sort out this problem, I am confrunting the same issue...

• 9. Re: GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance
                          alexdejesus Level 1

not really. I ended pulling out the Quadro card because they would not support both types installed. I have since picked up a GTX 980 card to replace the 780, but performance is still poor. I may have a bad motherboard. Trying to RMA to ASUS

• 10. Re: GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance
                            iuliuf54644687 Level 1

Thank you for the reply, I am using a workstation lenovo d20, I have a dual

CPU setup( 2x Xeon x5672 3.2 GHz,12 MB cache), a quadro k4000 ,24 Gb Ram,

ssd for storage and  OS, and as soon as I use a two layer video arrangement

it gets choppy and laggy, trying to edit go pro videos. I am going to do a

test of playback of a couple of videos at once outside of adobe premiere

and see if my workstation can handle it if so, it must be a software

problem at adobes end...will try and post result

• 11. Re: GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance

You do not have enough RAM for your dual Xeon, only 12 GB per processor probably is not enough, most dual Xeon workstations that I have seen in our PPBM testing have 64 GB

Have you tried transcoding your GoPro videos with their Studio software.to a more friendly format for Premiere

• 12. Re: GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance
                                iuliuf54644687 Level 1

Well to give a simple answer and at the same time a question, I just run my

test, that is I can playback outside adobe premiere 12 gopro videos at the

same time(that's the number of videos I had at my disposal, I bet it can

manage twice as that) and the playback was seamless, flawless, and video

card GPU was at 45% usage. So my question is why is that we can not

implement the same playback quality inside adobe premiere preview window,or

playback window?

Oh and when I playback through MPE (CUDA) GPU usage is between 0 and 10%,

they need to rewrite something there

• 13. Re: GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance

I can playback multi-timeline 6K video with a single processor workstation with the resolution set to 1/2 without loosing a frame.and on this almost 2 year old laptop laptop I just played back my sons 4K GoPro clip at full resolution without dropping a frame.

Oh and when I playback through MPE (CUDA) GPU usage is between 0 and 10%,

they need to rewrite something there

That just makes it apparent that you are not using MPE accelerated effects or features.  Playback of unedited unmodified media is primarily a CPU problem.  What is the color of the line over your GoPro media in the timeline.

What version of Premiere?

• 14. Re: GTX780 AND Quadro K4200 Installed - Still Low Performance
                                    iuliuf54644687 Level 1

That was exactly what I was highlighting, CUDA is enabled but not used, I

am using premiere CC latest version...

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:59 PM, Bill Gehrke <forums_noreply@adobe.com>