8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2014 4:38 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 13 - some issues

Prizm4 Level 1

So I've been playing around a little with the new Premiere Elements 13 trial. I didn't use the last version for any lengthy period, but I like to try out every new version of Elements to see if I like it. I jotted down a few notes as I was messing around:

- Can't use ALT + Mouse Wheel to zoom in/out of timeline (I find this extremely useful in Premiere Pro and other editors)

- Can't use C or S to split a clip. Have to use CTRL+K (!), or click a scissor icon on the playhead.

- The font browser does not list each font in it's own font style. You have to click each individual font to see what it looks like.

- Can't type the name of a font, you have to manually scroll to find it.

- I couldn't get the Animations for titles to work. I could select the thumbnail for the animation, but the Apply button is always greyed out, no matter what I do.

- Very limited options for text, no kerning or leading, no custom stroke, shadow, etc.

- Seems a bit buggy. I couldn't get the Vignetting effect to work. I fiddled with all the settings on both a video clip and a still image, and it just didn't do anything.

- There were some weird instances where icons went kinda screwy. Like once or twice when I was editing text, it would highlight both Left and Center text alignment icons indicating that I had both of those features turned on at once (!?). Other times the window redraw seemed a little sluggish and glitchy.

- Whenever I try to add an effect from the Hollywood Looks menu, it brings up a warning that all my previous effects on that clip will be deleted. However it will let me add those same effects *after* applying Hollywood Looks.

- When you click a menu item (File, Edit, Clip, etc), you cannot move the mouse left or right to automatically open the next menu item. You have to individually click File, Edit, Clip, etc, to open those menus.

- Everything about the interface is geared towards tablet use, so you end up using the mouse a lot more on a PC to click this button and that button.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - some issues
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Prizm4

What computer operating system are you running Premiere Elements 13 on?

To start replying to your notes

- Can't use C or S to split a clip. Have to use CTRL+K (!), or click a scissor icon on the playhead.

a. click on scissor tab on stem of Timeline Indicator to split clip.

b. use keyboard shortcut Ctrl+K to split clip

c. if you do not want Ctrl+K for the purpose, go to Edit Menu/Keyboard Customization/Application/Timeline/Split Clip,

and change the keyboard short for Split Clip to your liking.

-

Can't use ALT + Mouse Wheel to zoom in/out of timeline (I find this extremely useful in Premiere Pro and other editors)

Have you explore \ as a keyboard shortcut.

-

I couldn't get the Animations for titles to work. I could select the thumbnail for the animation, but the Apply button is always greyed out, no matter what I do.

Have you gone the route Text Menu/New Text/Default Text? Then, in the opened Titler, have you selected the text on screen that you want to animate as well as the Animation - then clicked Apply? Closed Titler and viewed results?

More to go. For now I will ask you to review and consider the above and take a look at the Premiere Elements Help PDF. If you find the above helpful, then we can go through the rest of your notes, one by one.

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - some issues
            nealeh Level 5

Prizm4 wrote:

- When you click a menu item (File, Edit, Clip, etc), you cannot move the mouse left or right to automatically open the next menu item. You have to individually click File, Edit, Clip, etc, to open those menus.

Grrr - I too hate that and have been after them to fix it since around 2009! I guess it's so embedded in the core of their UI that they dare not touch it!

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - some issues
              A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

If I am understanding your workflow correctly, why would you want to have the File Menu options opened at the same time that you have the Edit Menu options or any other Menu options opened?

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - some issues
                PRE_help Adobe Employee

You can do what ATR suggests. Change the keyboard shortcuts wherever required.

- The font browser does not list each font in it's own font style. You have to click each individual font to see what it looks like.

Could you let me know what fonts do not appear the same on the monitor as in the thumbnails?

- Seems a bit buggy. I couldn't get the Vignetting effect to work. I fiddled with all the settings on both a video clip and a still image, and it just didn't do anything.

How were you trying to apply the effect and what do you see when you do so? Did you play around with all the sliders and still see no difference on the monitor? Is there a difference you see when you click on the monitor after applying the effect/changing the parameters through the slider?

- Whenever I try to add an effect from the Hollywood Looks menu, it brings up a warning that all my previous effects on that clip will be deleted. However it will let me add those same effects *after* applying Hollywood Looks.

This is because of how the Hollywood Looks are designed to be used. Since these are effect presets (multiple effects in combination) that result in a specific "look"; they are best applied in isolation. If any previous effect is applied and we still allow a Hollywood effect to be applied, we will not be able to see what the effect does clearly. For e.g. if you already have a Gaussian Blur effect applied to your clip, and then we allow you to apply the "Red Noir" Hollywood effect, the fact that the "Reds" in the scenes will be highlighted and the others converted to B/W will not be clearly seen since the content is already blurred out. So any previously applied effects was designed to be removed. This holds good even if you apply a Hollywood look "on top of" another one. The previous one will be replaced. Having said that, you can customize the look further by either tweaking an already applied filter or by adding a newer effect on top. That is the reason you can apply an effect on top of the Hollywood Effects and not vice versa.

We have made a note of this behavior and agree that this is not ideal.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - some issues
                  nealeh Level 5

It is standard Windows design. If you have any Microsoft application, or Photoshop Elements, or Firefox or Chrome click on the File menu and then,  *** without any further clicking ***, just move your mouse to the right. As it passes over each menu (e.g. in Firefox: File | Edit | View | etc...) the various choices drop down. Premiere Elements doesn't. As Prizm4 describes you have to click each menu option to see its sub-options.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - some issues
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Thanks for the explanation. In my dealing with the programs that you mentioned I have never run into a problem navigating the menus and just

accepted what needed to be done to move forward. Now that I went into slow motion to take a look at the distinction between Photoshop Elements and

Premiere Elements in this regard, I see clearly what Prizm4, PRE_help, and you were referring to. For me it is not a deal breaker.

I did go back to take a look at the past and now. Interestingly, Premiere Elements Windows 4, 7, and 8.0/8.0.1 had the menus design that you and the other two seem to prefer. But, this menu design was gone in versions 9.0/9.0.1, 10, 11, 12, and now 13.

Thanks again for the explanation.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - some issues
                      Prizm4 Level 1

PRE_help said "Could you let me know what fonts do not appear the same on the monitor as in the thumbnails?"

This is what I'm referring to:

I23SEMy.jpg

In the list of fonts, you can't see an example of each typeface, like you might get in Premiere Pro, Photoshop or other programs:

fontsamplepreview_inline.jpg

RE: Vignetting - I tried the vignetting effect again on an image and it worked now, so I don't know what happened before.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - some issues
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Prizm4

In Premiere Elements 13, please try the following as a compromise to approach what you seek

1. Text Menu/New Text/Default Text to open the Titler to its Text Section

2. Type your text with the Horizontal Type Tool.

3. Switch from the Horizontal Type Tool to the Selection Tool and select your text on screen.

4. Switch back to the Horizontal Type Tool, with the mouse cursor click on the right edge of the selection on screen and drag a gray

haze over the text from right to left

5. Go to the list of fonts and click on the first one

6. Then use the down (later up) arrow key to scroll through the list of fonts, noting the font look for your text displaying on screen.

The above might be fine tuned, but the above is my first try at a workaround for you on this particular feature.

ATR