9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2014 6:15 PM by A.T. Romano

How to capture time lapse or stop motion with HD video camera thru fire wire?

mica2014

I cannot capture time lapse or stop motion with my Sony HD video camera. The button is grayed out. I can capture HD regular video with no problem. Premiere 12 also tends to completely freeze in the middle of simple editing procedures; I have to turn the computer off to get out of the program. I am using a desktop with the i7 processor and ample memory to run other graphic programs. Premiere CS4 works well but it does not offer time lapse/stop motion feature.  Any help will be appreciated.

• 1. Re: How to capture time lapse or stop motion with HD video camera thru fire wire?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I assume that by HD video you mean it's HDV tape-based video, right? Video from a hard drive high-def AVCHD camcorder can't be captured and there is no time lapse feature for it.

Why not just capture your video and use Premiere Elements Time Remapping or Time Stretch tools to speed it up or slow it down?

• 2. Re: How to capture time lapse or stop motion with HD video camera thru fire wire?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

mica2014

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Have you updated 12 to the 12.1 Update? If not, please do so.

Now to the immediate...

Are you asking essentially how to use your HD video camera as a webcam? That is a different matter than doing DV or HDV capture firewire into the Premiere Elements Capture Window. If it were possible to use the HD video camera as a webcam, then you would consider the Add Media/Webcam or WDM (described as "capture video from webcam or WDM compatible device). I have seen online article on this type of subject

How to Use a Digital Camera As a Web Cam: 12 Steps - wikiHow

http://techchannel.radioshack.com/use-digital-camera-webcam-1961.html

The big question would be "Would the Premiere Elements's Webcam capture window recognize such a device in its Source field?"

Have you consider recording your Time Lapse as as series of photos and then using basics Premiere Elements TimeLapse video workflow

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-time-lapse-video-basics.html

Please review and consider and then we can discuss the matter further if you are interested.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: How to capture time lapse or stop motion with HD video camera thru fire wire?
              mica2014 Level 1

To clarify, I wish to capture Time Lapse HDV  (not tape, but live video) using the HD Sony camera. I need to do this for periods longer than 24 hours (construction site). I don't see recording video for that length of time and then compressing time during editing. Not very practical.  I simply want to set up the camera on a tripod and capture the progress at 10 second intervals; it is that simple. I used to be able to perform this operation using the old Adobe Premiere 6.5 but the program lacked the HD capability. In regards to using single frames made with a DSLR for that length of time, the wear and tear on the shutter would be prohibitive.

To summarize: I am able to capture live video (not tape) with Premiere 12 using a Sony HDR-FX1 camera connected thru Fire Wire, but I cannot capture  Stop Motion or Time Lapse. The button for this operation is grayed out. And one more thing,.. I do not need a web camera.  Any help will be appreciated.

• 4. Re: How to capture time lapse or stop motion with HD video camera thru fire wire?

HD can mean a couple of things, Mica. Is this an HD "high-definition" camcorder or an HD "hard drive" camcorder?

Is it AVCHD or a DSLR?

Before we can advise you, we really need to know what we're dealing with.

• 5. Re: How to capture time lapse or stop motion with HD video camera thru fire wire?
                  mica2014 Level 1

Steve,

Read my complete explanation above: it is a High Definition video camera (Sony HDR-FX1) set to "camera" mode, not tape or hard drive. I can see the image on the capture window but cannot do Time Lapse since the button is grayed out.

• 6. Re: How to capture time lapse or stop motion with HD video camera thru fire wire?

I don't know of any way to capture live video time lapse in Premiere Elements, mica. Sorry.

• 7. Re: How to capture time lapse or stop motion with HD video camera thru fire wire?

Actually, I may be wrong. This is from the Adobe help file for Premiere Elements. Though I've never personally done it:

Capture time-lapse video

1. Connect your capture device to your computer and turn it on.
                        Remarque : If it is a WDM device, you may need to turn it on by double-clicking its icon in the Windows My Computer folder. Doing so may open a Windows video preview window. Close this before proceeding.

2. If it is a tape-based device, do one of the following:
                        • If capturing live from a camcorder, place the camcorder in Camera mode.
                        • If capturing from videotape, place the device in Play, VTR, or VCR mode.
                      3. Click Project > Get Media and select your connected device.
                      4. (Optional) Select Capture To Timeline if you want each frame added to the Timeline as it is captured.
                      5. In the Capture panel, select Stop Motion.
                      6. Click Create New Stop Motion. A preview of your live video source appears in the Capture window.
                      7. (Optional-Windows only) Select the Onion Skinning option in the lower-right corner of the Capture panel to see onion skins—overlays of previous frames captured. You can use onion skins to line up figures you animate.
                      8. Select Time Lapse in the lower-left corner of the Capture panel.
                      9. Click Set Time .
                      10. Under Frequency, drag any of the time controls (Hrs, Min, Sec) to set the interval at which you want the computer to capture frames. For example, setting Frequency to 1 minute captures one frame every minute.
                      11. Under Duration, drag any of the time controls to set the length of the capture session. For example, a duration of 5 hours captures frames, at the frequency you set, for a duration of 5 hours.
                      12. Click OK, and then click the Start Time Lapse button.Frames are captured at the rate you specify.
                      13. When the time-lapse capture is finished, click Close  in the upper-right corner of the Capture panel.
                      14. Save the images by doing one of the following:
                        • To save the captured images as a single movie file, and as a set of still images, click Yes. Then, give the new movie a name and location, and click Save.
                        • To save the captured images only as individual still photos, click No.Depending on your choice, either the still images, or the still images and movie file, are placed in Media view. Additionally, if you select Capture To Timeline, the still images, but not the movie file, are placed into the Timeline.

Delete the previous stop-motion or time-lapse frame

• 8. Re: How to capture time lapse or stop motion with HD video camera thru fire wire?
                        mica2014 Level 1

I have followed the procedure outlined in the Adobe help line as you suggested, and again, I am able to capture live video in "camera mode" without a problem. I can also capture in VCR mode (tape) and I can send it to the 'time line' and edit it; it works fine, but I repeat, I cannot capture time lapse or stop motion because the Stop Motion button in the Capture panel is grayed out. That has been my problem from the start and I cannot describe it better. I am still looking for answers and/or suggestions. I am also using the Legacy firewire driver as suggested.

• 9. Re: How to capture time lapse or stop motion with HD video camera thru fire wire?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

mica2014

I hear you

but I repeat, I cannot capture time lapse or stop motion because the Stop Motion button in the Capture panel is grayed out. That has been my problem from the start and I cannot describe it better.

If you look in the Adobe documentation for "PE/Capture Stop Motion and time-lapse video"

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Capture stop-motion and time-lapse video

there is one note that just may fit your situation. It reads...

Remarque :  You cannot capture stop-motion video from an HDV source. For more information about stop-motion video, see Adobe Premiere Elements Help.

Do you see that applying to the HDV scenario that you have presented?

ATR