9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2014 1:43 PM by A.T. Romano

cropping

stanleyrutgers

I've been working with the crop effect in effort to remove some impurities in the bottom corners of the screen.  I know all the steps, including the motion feature, but I think I'm missing something that locks the image in place.  When I export the rendered file to avi, or windows media, or mpeg, or whatever, there are framing problems.  Is there some way to crop a piece of video and place it so that it is the same dimensions as the video that has not been cropped? 

(I'm using PE 12 and an old Canon ZR600 dv camera)

• 1. Re: cropping
          A.T. Romano Level 7

stanleyrutgers

I am interpreting your question as

a. you crop some edges from your video, replacing the impurities with transparency (represented by black)

b. with your Timeline content size that way, you export and have issues with the dimensions.

If that is the case, have you tried clicking the Edit area screen after the crop to bring up the images bounding box and then

using one of the bounding box handles to zoom in just enough to make the fit of image to Edit area monitor space which was

established with the setting of the project preset?

Do we need to get into project preset, properties of your source media, and details of your export settings?

Please review and consider and then we can discuss what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: cropping
            stanleyrutgers Level 1

Hello,

Yes, I pull the sides and the top and bottom so that the image fills the edit box.  It doesn't quite match the uncropped footage, but I figure the program makes the necessary adjustment (when I play it as rendered in the full screen preview, there are no issues).

I am exporting in ntsc widescreen.  I will have to look into project presets.  It seems to me that it should be a simple operation (the guys who edited a feature film I made back in 2007 were able to crop video that had corporate logos near the top of the screen, but that was in Final Cut).

I just tried clicking on 'zoom' and that didn't seem to work either.

• 3. Re: cropping
              stanleyrutgers Level 1

When played back in windows media player, the footage that has been cropped reaches the very edge of the screen, whereas the non-cropped footage has about 1/3 of an inch border on the left and right of the image.

• 4. Re: cropping
                A.T. Romano Level 7

stanleyrutgers

What is your Premiere Elements 12 project preset? The project preset directs the program to establish the Edit area monitor space to

correspond to the project preset which in turn should agree with the properties of the source media..

Now assuming a NTSC setup....

If you recorded NTSC DV Standard 4:3, then the project preset should be set at NTSC DV Standard 4:3. And, if you recorded DV Widescreen 16:9, then the project preset should be NTSC DV Widescreen 16:9. For the latter, the monitor space is established for 856 x 480 to correspond to the video stretched by the 16:9 flag for display after encoding. If you have your cropped video zoomed in on to fill that monitor space and you export that video with a DV Standard or DV Widescreen preset, you should get the expected results.

Please excuse the questions above. But, I do not want to take anything for granted. If you provide/confirm your details, I will go through your workflow to see if I can spot a point where the expected is somehow not happening.

Just in case notes...for what project preset was used, please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

To set project preset manually, please follow path of File Menu/New/Project. When changing the project preset, make sure that you have a check mark

next to "Force Selected Project Setting On This Project" before exiting the new project dialog and heading back to the editing workspace.

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: cropping
                  stanleyrutgers Level 1

Hello,

Thanks for the info.  I will look into what you said here and come back with more information later.

• 6. Re: cropping
                    stanleyrutgers Level 1

Hello ATR,

I have worked with the project presets (it won't let me change the numbers in the monitor space for some reason).  I have used the zoom function in cropping, I have made sure the project is the same as the project presets.  None of this seems to help.

I will try to go through the steps as I have done them and hopefully you can spot where I've gone wrong:

So I make sure the presets are what they need to be (aside from the monitor space issue).

I open a new project, check the box that ties it to the presets.

I import the media file (dv, widescreen) to the project assets box.

I find places where the impurities show up on the bottom of the screen, slice off a few seconds, and add that to the timeline.

I go to the effects menu and add crop to that piece of film.

I go to the effects used menu on the right side of the preview screen and click on the crop effect so that the image can be manipulated (and after reading through the forum, I now press that zoom button)

In the past, I would go to motion and try to fix the image to the preview screen, doing my best to match the borders in non-cropped footage (which, like I said, shouldn't matter).

For these tests, I have then added a slice of film that isn't cropped.

Then I render it and publish it to a file on my computer as an AVI file.

Then I watch it on windows media player and use a lot of curse words when I see that the cropped image still has different borders from the non-cropped image.

That's about the gist of it.  I'm getting to a point where I might have to give up on Premiere.  This action should not be nearly so complicated.  However, if you can spot something stupid I've done, I'm happy to learn about it.

Thanks,

S.R.

• 7. Re: cropping
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

stanleyrutgers

I just did a run through of your workflow and am not confirming your results. So, let me give you an account of what I have done.

1. Manually set the Premiere Elements 12 project preset at

NTSC DV Widescreen

2. Imported a video clip that I know for sure is NTSC DV Widescreen

3. Bring the NTSC DV Widescreen clip to the Timeline twice, side by side.

To the first, I apply the fx Effects/Transform/Crop effect. I crop a little off the bottom. I hit the Zoom option in the Crop area.

I see that the cropped image fills the area of the Edit area monitor.

4. Then Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with the DV NTSC Widescreen preset.

5. When I view the export using Windows Media Player 12, both the cropped and uncropped video clips present in one video with no black borders.

You should not be forced to go to Premiere Pro to do the task. Are you sure of your video properties and other project settings?

Could you do two screenshots of your export so that I can see how the first and second clips are presenting?

Do not give up.

ATR

• 8. Re: cropping
                        stanleyrutgers Level 1

Hello again,

I followed the steps you listed without using 'motion' and that seems to have corrected the problem.  Thanks for all your help!

S.R.

• 9. Re: cropping
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

stanleyrutgers

Wonderful news. Glad that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

Thank you for staying with and considering the troubleshooting suggestions.

Best wishes

ATR