5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2014 12:02 PM by A.T. Romano

project time limited

george28

Hi my premiere only allows me to work on like a 12 minute project  (timeline) at a time????  How do I fix this or expand it?

• 1. Re: project time limited
          A.T. Romano Level 7

george28

Are you using any version of Premiere Elements or are you using Premiere Pro? If Premiere Elements, what version and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are your computer resources....processor and clock speed, installed and available RAM, free hard drive space....is your program installed to the default location...lots of questions answers to get to the cause of your issue?

What are the properties of what you are importing into the project. What is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video...is it just videos or do you have photos on that Timeline as well? If photos, what pixel dimensions and how many?

When you say that you cannot work in the program beyond 12 minutes, what happens at the 13 minute.....crash, error message, other?

Let us start here and then be directed by your detailed answers on what direction to go.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: project time limited
            george28 Level 1

Thanks for the response,..wow my head is spinning....Windows 8 , ram s 16 GB, processor is up there as its a fairly new system about a year old. Tec specs are there, I think its a setting somewhere..  Using elements 9.  It wont let me output anything larger than 7 or 8 mnutes

• 3. Re: project time limited
              A.T. Romano Level 7

george28

Thank for the follow up.

Here is what I think that you may be overlooking. Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of your 64 bit system and as such has the limitations of 32 bit, namely maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which 3.2 to 3.0 or less of that are available. For Windows, you need Premiere Elements 10, 11, 12, 13 specifically of Windows 7, 8,or 8.1 64 bit to have your Premiere Elements 64 bit application with all the resource implications that go with a computer environment with 16 GB installed RAM.

The next factor is what is in those 12 minutes and how complex that 12 minutes are.

If this is an export rather than an import/editing issue, I would also factor in your Scratch Disks - where they are directed and how much free hard drive space is at that location. See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. And, you do need to develop a management program to avoid pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files.

Any further details you could give us about your source media and the complexity of the Timeline content for those 12 minutes?

Looking forward to further news of your situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: project time limited
                george28 Level 1

I'll try it..Thank you. very much for your time.

• 5. Re: project time limited
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

george28

Thanks for the reply. Please explore you limits under the circumstances.

For troubleshooting purposes only at this time, you could look at the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 13 (just released today) and determine how it works in your computer environment. I am not one for changing programs just because there is a newer version available. But, if there is a need to accomplish your video goals, then you can weigh the pros and cons of the decision.

We will be watching for your project.

I just wait us not to let the computer resources angle on this overshadow any other cause and effect.

ATR