3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2014 3:19 AM by Peter Spier

Can I do this in a single text box?

MagicToaster Level 1

I'm working on a layout. The table of contents is currently two columns, one for the page number and one for the description, but we're looking for a way to keep it all in a single column. How can I set it up?

I'm including a screenshot of the layout for reference.Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 1.44.17 PM.png

• 1. Re: Can I do this in a single text box?
          Petteri_Paananen Level 4

It may be difficult if you are using InDesign´s TOC tool, maybe someone else have some tips&tricks for that...

But if you are putting your TOC together manually, there´s few ways how you can get more control over your columns...

I would use tables, but then we are not talking about text frame columns anymore... if you want to use text frames, you can use InDesign´s split column feature.

I attach sample indd for you, it´s very quickly done, so don´t check it too deeply...=) But you can explore the basic principle with it... Make sure that you calculate your text´s leading so that it maches the grid settings... and allign you pagenumbers and TOC headlines to grid... that way you can keep them aligned...

Screenshot 2014-09-25 08.12.35.png

Here´s the actual file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17227987/splitCol.indd

ps. not that you have build your text with following order if you are using split column:

Golf

Ratiae parupta tiuntio.

Nem quiberrum nosa pe voloriscipit vero conse il id quibus a volori ilis es in cum earuptios ipsanda ersperi aspedip sapidi cone sit

Scuba

Ratiae parupta tiuntio.

Nem quiberrum nosa pe voloriscipit vero conse il id quibus a volori ilis es in cum earuptios ipsanda ersperi aspedip sapidi cone sit

Tour Plus

Ratiae parupta tiuntio.

• 2. Re: Can I do this in a single text box?
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Use a hanging indent (which will add a tab setting to its position), then a single Tab between number and text. If some of your numbers are one digit, some are two or more, and you want them aligned to the right, add a right-aligned tab in the Tab Ruler.

You can adjust the size and baseline for the large page numbers with (1) Baseline Shift and (2) Horizontal/Vertical Scale. The latter is to prevent your line height getting messed up -- set the size of the page numbers to half what you want (which should be small enough), then scales to 200%.

• 3. Re: Can I do this in a single text box?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Not tested, but perhaps with with a TOC style that puts the numbers first and uses a left indent, as well as a character style applied to the number that makes it large and adds baseline shift to push it down. The vertical rule would be a separate object.

But the larger difficulty I see here is picking up only part of a paragraph for the third level...