5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2014 2:02 PM by Szalam

Collect errors over NFS export

steve patterson

Greetings AE community,

I've been running into errors when trying to perform project collects when my source media exists on mounted NFS exports. AE errors out on the collect claiming that a movie file (appears to be random) does not exist. If I navigate to the directory, the movie file is indeed there. If I run the collect again, I'll receive another error...sometimes claiming a different movie file can't be found. The movie files are usually 1080HD ProRes 422HQ files. I'm running the latest CC and latest Mavericks on a 2013 Mac Pro.

I think it has something to do with the filesystem and how AE is interacting with OSX and OSX's handing of NFS mounts. Does anyone have any similar experience or possible tips?

Thanks,

-Steve

• 1. Re: Collect errors over NFS export
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Without explicitly monitoring the file operations using suitable tools you'll probably never know what's going on. As a minor we would need detailed info about the file structure and file names and what those NFS drives actually are... Perhaps AE is just being a pussy about too long file paths or file names with special characters, perhaps there is something else going on...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Collect errors over NFS export
            steve patterson Level 1

Hey Lutz,

Thanks for the reply. It's good to see that you and Rick are still fielding questions rabidly here on the forum. I miss having the time (timeRemapper) to contribute.

Does AE generate a log through console or otherwise during the collect procedure? The log generated after a collect has been preformed doesn't log specific errors encountered when the procedure was occurring. The NFS exports originate from a Unix managed EMC Isilon. The drive/volume names are standard, and file names use best practices. For example, a mounted path to file would be like this:

/Volumes/emcAnim_004/pattes/hcloud/source/cloudLoop_pr.mov

The only thing that makes me think this is AE-specific is that other file operations from other software packages that perform similar collection operations don't error out.

Best,

-Steve

• 3. Re: Collect errors over NFS export
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I seem to remember a few people with issues on Mavericks with collecting files. Until the update comes out that fixes some of version 13's issues (within a month or so), it wouldn't hurt to file a bug report: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form Hopefully your issue is one that was fixed.

In one of the other threads on this forum where file collection issues were happening (AE CC: Will no longer collect files), somebody said that their issues only happened if the mouse got moved during the file collection process. They said

So, we have been having this issue in our studio, and one of our designers figured out why this is happening. I've tested it several times, and it seems to be the issue.

When you are collecting your files, DO NOT MOVE THE MOUSE. I know how ridiculous this sounds, but it works every time. Just hit enter with the keyboard, and step away. All should be well.

So, try that too.

• 4. Re: Collect errors over NFS export
                steve patterson Level 1

Michael!

Awesome! It's the mouse event that kills the collect! That's so odd. As long as you hit return and walk away, it works! Thanks for your help.

Best,

-Steve

• 5. Re: Collect errors over NFS export
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hooray!

Weird, huh?

Definitely file a bug report.