15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2014 12:32 AM by LindaDM

flash player install hangs at 95%

jonesy2456

Hi

I hope someone can help me.  I have been trying to install the latest flash player in firefox version 32 but it keeps hanging at 95% and a window pops up - install flash player exe- no disk and asks me to insert a disk in drive F. Of course I do not have a disk or a drive F. I have tried the full installer, the firefox plugin in installer and the windows installer.  None work but the window installer doesn't hang, however nothing seems to be installed.  I have reset firefox to its default settings with no luck.  I am on a pc running windows 8.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
          m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hi,

Are you using the online installer downloaded from get.adobe.com\flashplayer, or the full/offline installer downloaded from a tech note page?

Please post the following files:

• C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall.log
          • C:\Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall.log (will only be present on a 64-bit OS)

These will be fairly large, as such, please post the files using the instructions here, How to share a document.

Also a screenshot (The specified item was not found.) of the installer with error dialog will be helpful.

Thank you.

--

Maria

• 2. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
            jonesy2456 Level 1

Hi Maria

I haven' tried the offline installer just the online installer from adobe. Unfortunately there is no flashinstall.log in the system32 macromed folder so I can't post it here.  However I do have a screen shot. I have uploaded all the files in the macromed folder & this is the link -

Shared Files - Acrobat.comadobe.PNGI hope this helps.

• 3. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
              m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hi jonesy,

If you've had Flash Player installed before, that file should exist, unless it was manually deleted.

Unfortunately, the screenshot is very small and unreadable, and doesn't expand.

However, based on the screenshot, this appears to be the online installer (downloaded from get.adobe.com/flashplayer) which is a shim installer that downloads and installs Flash Player silently.  If this is the case, there's another log file that we can use, however, it requires running the online installer in debug mode from the Command-prompt window.  If you feel comfortable doing this, please do the following:

1. Download the installer from get.adobe.com/flashplayer(note the save-to location).
              2. Open the Command Prompt window by clicking the Start button and in the Search box type: cmd.exe
              3. When the Command Prompt window launches, drag the installer from the location it was saved to onto the command prompt window, hit the space key and type /debug
                • It should look similar to the following (the actual file name may differ): C:\Users\labuser\Desktop\install_flashplayer14x32_mssd_aaa_aih.exe /debug
                  • Note there IS a space between the file name and the / and there is NO space between / and debug
                  • If there are spaces in the directory path, the command needs to be encapsulated in quotes, for example: "C:\Documents and Settings\labuser\Desktop\install_flashplayer14x32_mssd_aaa_aih.exe" /debug
              4. Click Enter to proceed.  The installation process will begin.
                • When finished, if there are errors, take a screenshot of the installation dialog window and close the window.
              5. A file named host.develop.log will be saved to the same location the installer was saved to
                • You may notice the the online installer file is missing. This is because it deletes itself once executed, so it will no longer be saved locally.
              6. Post the contents of the host.develop.log file and the screen-shot, if available, by following the How to share a document instructions.

If you just want Flash Player installed (totally understandable, but we won't be able to troubleshoot why the online installer is returning this error) you can try the offline installer posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows help page (the non-IE file). This should work.  However, if it does not, it should create the FlashInstall.log file, which you can post here.

Thank you in advance.

--

Maria

• 4. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
                jonesy2456 Level 1

Hi Maria

I did as you said and tried the command prompt install but had no luck. Here are the screenshots and the log file - Shared Files - Acrobat.com

command window install.PNG

In this image I closed the pop up window.

command install after.PNG

I hope this helps.

• 5. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
                  m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hi jonesy,

Thanks for posting the log file and screenshots.  We're reviewing the log file.

You said previously there was no FlashInstall.log file in C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash.  Is your machine a 64-bit system?  If so, please check C:\Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\ for the FlashInstall.log file in that directory.  If it's there, please post using the The specified item was not found. instructions.

Thank you.

--

Maria

• 6. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
                    jonesy2456 Level 1

Hi Maria

My pc is 32-bit and there is definitely no FlashInstall.log file.

thanks

• 7. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
                      m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hi jonesy,

Thanks for confirming.  The online installer, that you're using, is a shim installer that downloads and installs Flash Player silently.  Essentially, it handles the installation of Flash Player and other offers if you elected to install them.  If there isn't a FlashInstall.log file, then it doesn't appear the online installer is getting to that point.  The online 'shim' installer is handled by a different group and I'm forwarding this issue to them.

In the mean time, can you try the offline installer, posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows help page? Based on your previous response, I'm not sure if you tried this one or not. If you get the same results, please post the FlashInstall.log file, if it's created.

Thank you.

--

Maria

• 8. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
                        jonesy2456 Level 1

Hi Maria

Thank you for your help. I haven't used the offline installer because I would like to find out what the problem is with the shim installer.  However I will use the offline installer as a last resort.  Once again thank you for your time and effort.

Jonesy

• 9. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
                          m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hi jonesy,

Thank you.  Most folks just want Flash Player installed and aren't interested in troubleshooting.  We appreciate your willingness to assist.

Do you have more than one hard disc on your system?  Also, is your Windows installation on a non-standard location (not the usual c:\ drive)?

--

Maria

• 10. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
                            jonesy2456 Level 1

Hi Maria

To answer your question I have 3 internal and 2 external hdd on my system with windows installed on the c:\ drive.

However last night while surfing the web I was asked once again to install the flash player to view some content so I gave it another try.  To my amazement the install went through without a single problem and I now have a working version of the flash player.

I have no idea why it worked this time and not all the other times I tried, maybe my computer just decided to work,

once again thank you for your time and effort.

jonesy 2456

• 11. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
                              m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hi jonesy,

When you were asked to install Flash Player, were you directed to the install page at get.adobe.com/flashplayer, or was it a different type of installation?  Can you provide the \System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall.log file, using the The specified item was not found. instructions?  This will provide more details on the installation type

Thank you.

--

Maria

• 12. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
                                jonesy2456 Level 1

Hi Maria

As far as i know it was the install page at get adobe .com. Here is the Flashinstall.log file - Shared Files - Acrobat.com.

Thanks

jonesy

• 13. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
                                  m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hi jonesy,

Thanks for posting the install log file.  The installer that ended up working is the same one that was not working before.  Unfortunately, we don't know why this was happening, but I'm glad it finally installed for you.

--
                                  Maria

• 14. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
                                    jonesy2456 Level 1

Hi Maria

The only thing I did differently this time was click on start and hover my mouse pointer over the task manager link but didn't open it.  I was expecting the install to fail again and I wanted to be ready to close it.  I don't know if this had anything to do with the successful install.

Anyway thank you for your time and effort I greatly appreciate it.

jonesy

• 15. Re: flash player install hangs at 95%
                                      LindaDM

ME TOO!!!!!