12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2014 12:36 PM by bogiesan

Pulling out my Hair, need some help from experts out there

Sanderx1

Hi - I have been struggling with an issue for a week now and I was wondering if one of you can help me to solve my issue. I have done numerous searches on this topic which got me somewhat in the right direction but I'm still not getting the results I want. The end objective is simple, a non-stuttering video on YouTube. Sounds simple right?

here is what I did:

I have recorded some aerial footage with a GoPro 3+, added some effects in After effects, brought the results over in Premiere pro for some minor editing and then used Media encoder to get it to a format that youtube likes. My detailed steps are as follows:

-Take GoPro footage (59.94 fps, 1920 x 1080 in H.264 codec) and transcode it through GoPro studio using the CineForm codec so it plays nice with AE (I keep my 59.94 fps and same dimensions (1920 x 180).

-Load transcoded footage in AE (I checked if my composition settings are the same as the imported transcoded footage)

-Apply effects (3d camera tracking, add some 3d text, some lights, environment layer) and render the clip out as a quicktime lossless file (PNG) – result is 3 clips from AE that I now want to bring into Premiere Pro for some editing

-Import PNG file in Premiere Pro (I drag the clip to new sequence item so the sequence matches the clip I import in Premiere pro)

-I make some minor edits in Premiere Pro (some transitions between clips, nothing fancy)

-I then render out the footage using media encoder (or directly from Premiere, tried both) with the following settings:

Format: h.264

Preset: custom

Export video and audio

TV standard: NSTC

Frame width: 1920

Frame height: 1080

FPs: 29.97 or 59.94 (results/problem is the same with both fps settings)

Field order: progressive (greyed out – can’t change it)

Pixel aspect ratio: 16:9 – widescreen

Profile: main

Level: 4.2 or 5.1 (same result for both settings)

Render at maximum depth: checked

Bitrate encoding: VBR, 2 pass

Target bitrate: 8 or 20 (same result with both settings but obviously larger file with higher target rate)

Maximum bitrate: 8 or 25 (same results for both settings)

Use maximum render quality: checked

Audio, multiplexer etc: standard settings, no change

The rendered video runs smoothly on my mac but when uploading this video to youtube, the video stutters. I have tried multiple settings and can’t get the video to play smooth. Any tips or suggestions are welcome!

You can watch the video here:

Furnace lake edit 1 - YouTube

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Pulling out my Hair, need some help from experts out there
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use the YouTube preset in the Adobe Media Encoder. Use 29.97 fps (the video standard). YouTube will probably convert it anyway and in most cases your eyes can't tell the difference.

YouTube will recompress and process your video anyway. Even if you uploaded footage that was way out of their allowable specifications they would re-compress it. It is the same for Vimeo and any other streaming site I have ever used.

• 2. Re: Pulling out my Hair, need some help from experts out there
            bogiesan Level 4

sanderx1 wrote:

Hi - I have been struggling with an issue for a week now and I was wondering if one of you can help me to solve my issue. I have done numerous searches on this topic which got me somewhat in the right direction but I'm still not getting the results I want. The end objective is simple, a non-stuttering video on YouTube. Sounds simple right?

Thanks.

Rick has given you what you need, he always does.

But the task you've described is not simple at all. It's not really an After Effects issue.

There are many sites that offer good recommendations for maximizing your youtube workflow so your video looks the best and plays flawlessly. Youtube offers a good set of parameters. Some of this stuff is worthless, too. You've got to be selective.

Starting out delivering a full 1080HD clip is not necessarily going to work out for you. Try rendering out to a 720 file. It's far smaller so it will be compressed much less by it's upload processor. The playback may be smoother and your audience is not going to be able to tell the difference between the 720 and a 1080 clip, most of the time. 

Encourage you to drop back someday and let us know how you made out with Rick's advice.

How to Make Professional Quality YouTube Videos: 6 Steps

How to Make Good YouTube Videos for Video Marketing: 8 Steps

How To Make Videos Look Great on YouTube - YouTube

How to Make YouTube Videos Look Great

Video quality - YouTube Help

Tips of Getting Best YouTube Video Format for YouTube Uploading

• 3. Re: Pulling out my Hair, need some help from experts out there
              Sanderx1 Level 1

Thank you you for the quick reply. I have tried the youtube preset and no luck (I started out that way). I tried rendering 720p as well. Same result. I keep getting these mini stutters. I have tried other presets as well (1080p). I will try rendering it to 720p in different presets but youtube is capable of 1080p so I can't figure out why it stutters as there are many videos out there that run smooth at 1080p.....

• 4. Re: Pulling out my Hair, need some help from experts out there
                bogiesan Level 4

Do your attempts stutter in the exact same place each time?

Compression is a black art and we've been trying to perfect it for more than a decade. The file that YT creates for you is subject to your file size and to a small degree on your upload speed. The file YT plays out to you and your viewers is subject to the download speed and traffic on the YT servers at that moment. If your clips are exhibiting the same issue in the exact same place, the artifacts are baked into the file YT has created. If that artifact occurs at the same place in every attempt and variation you've made, there's something obviously wrong with that part of your clip. If the artifacts are happening in random parts of your clip, the problems are on YT's end, the file is being hammered during play out. If the artifacts are random every time you play the clip back, the issue is at your end during viewing--the file at YT is probably fine.

Are you set up to download from YT? You can download the file YT has created and compare it to your original.

I will agree that YT provides some great 1080 content but I will say it's generally a waste of bandwidth. The content is usually terrible and does not benefit from 1080 or the viewer can't tell the difference because they're watching on a 720 TV set or on their phone.

sorry we can't nail it for you.

• 5. Re: Pulling out my Hair, need some help from experts out there
                  Sanderx1 Level 1

They stutter around the same place in the video. It bugs the hell out of me as I feel I went through all the correct steps of transcoding the orginal, moving it into AE, rendering it out to PR and then converting it to the correct YT format. I could argue that something was wrong with my AE or PR files if the stuttering takes place at times in my clips where I added an effect but it is in random untouched parts of the clips (Although at the same time, each time). The final file that I rendered out through media encoder is only 375mb large for 2 minutes and 30 seconds using my settings as described earlier so I don't see an issue with the file being massive.

can you guys confirm that the steps I took from footage to AE and moving the files to PR is the correct process (camera footage to cineform-import in AE-lossless PNG file render from AE-import in PR-media encoder to render H.264-MP4 file)?

thank you for all your help with this.

• 6. Re: Pulling out my Hair, need some help from experts out there
                    bogiesan Level 4

Try a constant bitrate. VBR will often hiccup with a sudden change of visual content and this sudden burst of addition data can confuse the YT encoder. The change in nitrate is not necessarily located at the same point in time that the image changes.

I think if you look carefully at most of the advanced YT tutorials, they recommend CBR files. You can set the nitrate slightly higher than the average VBR settings.

• 7. Re: Pulling out my Hair, need some help from experts out there
                      Sanderx1 Level 1

Thanks. Let me try CBR instead of VBR with a constant bitrate and see if that solves it. I will revert back with the results. Thanks again.

• 8. Re: Pulling out my Hair, need some help from experts out there
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

Forgive me if I overlooked it, but I don't think I read anything about how you're viewing the work once it's finished.

If it's on YouTube, is your internet connection up to the task of playing HD video?

• 9. Re: Pulling out my Hair, need some help from experts out there
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For or maximum quality you need to give YouTube a while to process the video. Try downloading the video from YouTube using one of the free utilities. This will tell you if the upload is dropping frames.

• 10. Re: Pulling out my Hair, need some help from experts out there
                            Sanderx1 Level 1

Hi Dave, Rick,

When I render the video out through media encoder, the resulting MP4 file plays smoothly on my Mac. When viewing it on YouTube (YouTube.be/LaG5Ozxeer) it stutters at certain places during the video. My internet connection is solid. It also does it when I lower the viewing quality (e.g. 360p on youtube). I will try downloading the youtube file and see if it is dropping frames.

• 11. Re: Pulling out my Hair, need some help from experts out there
                              bogiesan Level 4

Dave LaRonde wrote:

Forgive me if I overlooked it, but I don't think I read anything about how you're viewing the work once it's finished.

If it's on YouTube, is your internet connection up to the task of playing HD video?

Yeah, suggested that.

• 12. Re: Pulling out my Hair, need some help from experts out there
                                bogiesan Level 4

Rick Gerard wrote:

For or maximum quality you need to give YouTube a while to process the video. Try downloading the video from YouTube using one of the free utilities. This will tell you if the upload is dropping frames.

Yeah, suggested that.