3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2014 8:01 AM by Bill Gehrke

Storage Options with new Haswell E motherboards

JFPhoton Level 3

With the new Haswell E motherboards, and their minimum of 8 SATA III 6Gb/sec onboard ports,( plus TWO "SATA Express" ports ), I am curious about the various combinations possible using onboard RAID setups....with either SSDs,or, HDDs. It appears ALL 8,( or more) of these SATA III ports are on the SAME controller. So...is it POSSIBLE to have MORE than one onboard RAID volume ??? Is it BEST to just create a MASSIVE RAID 0 with all these ports, and call it a day ?? Would it be best , using PPro, to have OS,programs, and page file ONLY on a very fast PCI connected SSD, and all the REST on a GIANT RAID 0, using the SATA III ports? What about the "SATA Express"....how can THAT be best used ??

Thank you in advance for any "illumination" in this area.....this new Haswell E release is very exciting for those who have WAITED to invest in a fast,new desktop for PPro !!

• 1. Re: Storage Options with new Haswell E motherboards
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Each motherboard has its own limitations but for instance an ASUS X99 Deluxe has two SATA3 controllers .  The Controller 1 has 6 ports (SATA6G_1-6) which can be set for RAID and Controller 2 has (SATA6G_7-10) cannot be set to RAID.  So you have to carefully study the manual for the specific board.  Also now you have several new storage options SATA Express and with this motherboard, Dual PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 Support which further complicates your options or the devices to connect to them.

If you are going x99 and want 64 GB RAM, I still have yet to find an available source for the 8 x 8GB DDR4 memory at any speed or any price!!!!  For instance Corsair advertises the CMD64GX3M8A2400C10 for only $1010 but it is currentl out of stock and more importantly it is 1.65 volt where most DDR4 RAM is typically 1.2 volt.

• 2. Re: Storage Options with new Haswell E motherboards
            JFPhoton Level 3

thanks Bill !!.....a very helpful answer !!....by the way....I think there is a RAID option....if desired...in "our" G750JW s....I see it in the BIOS screen and know the "expensive" version offers it....not sure if it applies to OUR machines, or, it it would benefit in any way.

• 3. Re: Storage Options with new Haswell E motherboards
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have seen the RAID option in our G750JW but unless you have three disk drives, one for the OS/Application and two SATA III more for the RAID it becomes less usable.  It could be done if you installed a drive/SSD in the optical bay and then you had the OS/Applications on it but then you could never take advantage of using the internal optical drive.  I opted not to go that route, not even for a benchmarking run.  I do have an optical bay drive carrier that I experimented with that now is unused