11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2014 7:22 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere elements 13

causewayjohn

How do I capture video from a HDV camera via firewire in premiere elemnts 13

• 1. Re: Premiere elements 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

causewayjohn

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on? Just background information for now.

DV Camcorder and HDV Camcorder are no longer listed as choices under Add Media.

The Add Media/Webcam and WDM remains, but I am not seeing where that is a back door approach for the DV and HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements....there is nothing in that route except Add to Timeline if the miniDV camcorder is recognized in the capture window source field.

It would seem to me that for all intents and purposes there is no longer a feature in Premiere Elements 13 (Windows or Mac) for DV and HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements 13.

You are probably going to be forced into doing these captures in other programs and then important the DV AVI or MPEG2.mpg into Premiere Elements 13 Add Media/Files and Folders.

See HDVSplit  HDVSplit 0.77 beta

Windows Movie Maker 2012

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere elements 13
            causewayjohn Level 1

I am running windows 7. Will try other ways of capturing video. Thanks

• 3. Re: Premiere elements 13
              PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi,

We have removed some features in Premiere Elements 13. This link has the details.

Removed features and unsupported file formats | Adobe Premiere Elements 13

This includes HDV Capture

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 4. Re: Premiere elements 13
                A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Thanks for that great link to the Adobe document on workarounds in Premiere Elements 13 for

Alternative Way to Capture DV

Alternative Way to Capture HDV

MacOS HDV/DV/Webcam

With regard to unsupported file formats, mxf is not listed there. Does that imply that .mxf is now supported

by Premiere Elements 13?

Might you also comment - BadDrivers.txt file versus Current Display Driver.txt file.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere elements 13
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Besides my comments and questions in post 4, could you comment on what type of connection between camera and computer

is supported for the DV Camcorder and HDV Camcorder workarounds that are described in the Adobe document that you posted

earlier.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere elements 13
                    PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi ATR,

MXF is still not supported.

The BadDrivers.txt remains in place and in functionality. If there is a bad driver found, we make an entry in this file and then the next launches will not use the display adaptor. If the driver is updated, this can then be deleted. The CurrentDisplayDrivers.txt is to log the current driver. Functionally this is for us to check it against known bad drivers that we may have. If we find a match, we place this as in the Baddrivers.txt for it to be handled in the next launch.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 7. Re: Premiere elements 13
                      PRE_help Adobe Employee

Missed responding to your capture query.

The link below has the details of the connectors needed. Firewire can be used.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/import-video-from-a-videotape

Regards,
                      Premiere Elements Team

• 8. Re: Premiere elements 13
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Referring to post numbered 7 in this thread...

As long as I can remember, Adobe documents have been written

You can use device control with DV and HDV camcorders and tape decks when you connect them using the IEEE 1394 port (recommended) or the USB port.

But in reality, it was the IEEE 1394 and rarely if ever (essentially never) "USB port, 2.0 or other". Is this the same situation with the Premiere Elements 13 Capture workarounds in discussion? Although you say that a Firewire connection can be used in this workaround, is this workaround one where a USB connection will actually work? That is not clear to me in the article to which you pointed me.

This is an important point for the miniDV camcorder users if they finally have a Premiere Elements version (workaround or not) that will accept USB or Firewire in reality for capture from the miniDV camcorder

Any insights into this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere elements 13
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Referring to your post numbered 6 in this thread....

Where is the BadDrivers.txt file for Premiere Elements 13?

Before Premiere Elements 12, for Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

9.0, 10.0, 11.0 Folder

and inside the later folder was the BadDrivers.txt file for 9.0 or 10.0 or 11.0.

For version 12, for Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

in this case the BadDrivers.txt file apparently was a file in the Premiere Elements Folder and not in one of the folders in the

Premiere Elements Folder.

I have Premiere Elements 12 and 13 on the same Windows 64 bit computer. There is only 1 BadDrivers.txt file in the Premiere Elements

Folder. Is 12 and 13 using this same BadDrivers.txt file?  The following screenshot is my situation in the Premiere Elements Folder.

BadDrivers.JPG

And, there is no BadDrivers.txt file in the 13.0 Folder in the Premiere Elements Folder

13.JPG

ATR

Add On..Please also refer to my post numbered 8 for the DV HDV Capture.

• 10. Re: Premiere elements 13
                            PRE_help Adobe Employee

You can use the firewire to do the file transfer from the camera. The capture workflow in the earlier versions of Premiere Elements worked only through the firewire. We can check internally if one of us had tried using the USB port as mentioned in this article, but the intention is to get the file into the computer in any way so that it can be accessed in Premiere Elements 13 as a file source, rather than a tape-device source.

Regarding the BadDrivers.txt, it will be in the root of Premiere Elements folder. PRE12 and 13 will share the entry. So if the entry in this file matches the currently installed driver, both of them will error out during launch.

Regards,
                            Premiere Elements Team

• 11. Re: Premiere elements 13
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Thanks for the confirmation on what I suspected was the BadDrivers.txt situation for Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and 13.

Can I assume correctly that the BadDrivers.txt file for a version of Premiere Elements earlier than 12 will use the BadDrivers.txt

file that is in its version folder in the Premiere Elements Folder in the path

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the Premiere Elements Folder is a folder for a version earlier than 12 which contains its specific BadDrivers.txt file?

That all seems to be the case looking at the content of the BadDrivers.txt file for versions earlier than 12 on the same computer.

Thank you.

ATR