7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2014 8:43 PM by A.T. Romano
      • 1. Re: Can I import a numbered image sequence into Premiere Elements for editing?
        A.T. Romano Level 7

Vetmom

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

If you are referring to maintaining the order of files in a series after import into Premiere Elements, I would go with

a. ordering the photos in a folder and then importing the whole folder into Premiere Elements....when you drag that folder to

the Timeline, you will have your ordered sequence on that Timeline.

or

b. in the Elements Organizer that came with Premiere Elements, create an Album and import the Album into

Premiere Elements.

If you are referring to Number Stills in Time Lapse type project, then please read the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Numbered Stills in Time Lapse and Other Animations

But, if you are dealing with a  Premiere Elements Time Lapse project, I prefer the techniques described

in the following

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-time-lapse-video-basics.html

Please review, consider, clarify, and then we can decide what next based on your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can I import a numbered image sequence into Premiere Elements for editing?
          Vetmom Level 1

I am considering purchasing Premier Elements 13.  My computer has windows 7.  I want to capture from 8mm film to a folder containing a numbered image sequence - one image file per film frame.  I intend to capture in JPEG.  I then wish to import these images into a photo editing program to edit, and export in a video codec, than burn to DVD or Bluray.  I know higher end professional video editing packages can do this, but can Premiere Elements 13?  Thanks

Sent from my iPad

• 3. Re: Can I import a numbered image sequence into Premiere Elements for editing?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Vetmom

Thank you for the additional information.

Where (in what program) are you intending to do the "capture from 8 mm film to a folder containing a numbered image sequence - one image file per film frame"?

If the digitized files are presented to Premiere Elements in a folder with numbered sequential order, there should be no problem importing that whole folder into a Premiere Elements project for edit and export.

However if you are dealing with 8 mm film, you should be dealing with standard 4:3 digitized video after digitization. That fits into a scenario for burn to NTSC DVD-VIDEO (720 x 480) 4:3 on DVD disc, but is likely to run into problems for a scenario for burn to Blu-ray disc format (1920 x 1080) 16:9 on Blu-ray disc.

Be advised the DV Camcorder and HDV Camcorder and their capture windows have been removed from the Premiere Elements 13.0 Add Media choices.

Please review the above and then let me know if I have interpreted your report correctly.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can I import a numbered image sequence into Premiere Elements for editing?
              Vetmom Level 1

I am using a proprietary software package from Alternaware called RetroScan HD.  It is written for use only with a Retro-8 film scanner.  One of its options is a capture to numbered image sequence.  I would like to do my film capture this way because it is the purest archival format for my films.  It also has potential to have better results in Post capture because the editing can be done on files that haven't been processed.

• 5. Re: Can I import a numbered image sequence into Premiere Elements for editing?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Vetmom

Thanks for the reply.

If you have one image per frame of your film (as jpg) in folder, I am not seeing any problems just importing the whole folder into Premiere Elements 13 with its Add Menu/Files and Folders/ and ending with all your numbered jpg in order on the Premiere Elements 13 Timeline.

The jpgs will come into the project with the Still Image Default Duration (5 seconds in a 30 fps system). Beforehand, you can set your project preset to match the frame size of your images (sounds like it would be NTSC DV Standard) and, if wanted, set for a different jpg duration under Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

I would suggest that you download and install the Premiere Elements 13 tryout from Adobe to determine its compatibility with your computer operating system and your project goals.

Premiere Elements 13 Windows supports Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Please let me know if I have targeted your questions or whether you need clarification on any of the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Can I import a numbered image sequence into Premiere Elements for editing?
                  Vetmom Level 1

OK, I have imported a numbered image sequence into the trial version of Premiere Elements 13.  (BTW, the program limited the number of images I could add to a project at once).  I am having a little problem setting the Still Image Default Duration to suit my eye.   A setting of 1 seems a little fast, and a setting of 2 seems to be slightly slow.  No option to set it in between.  Regular 8 film is 16 fps, and Super 8 is 18 fps.  How does this Still Image setting translate? 

Anyway, thanks to your help, I am making progress! 

Thank you-

• 7. Re: Can I import a numbered image sequence into Premiere Elements for editing?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Vetmom

It does not seem right that the program (tryout or not) should be limiting the number of images that you could add to a project at one time. That sounds more

like a computer resource issue or an issue related to transfer from a drive to program. But hard to say for sure at this point. How many images were you trying to import all at one time, and what were their pixel dimensions.

You can set the Still Image Default Duration beforehand in Edit Menu/Preferences/General. The unit is frame, with 150 frames = 5 seconds in a 30 frames per second workflow. After reset from the default of 5 seconds to your new duration, all stills will import with that new duration until you change the set. The set applies only to stills that you import after the set, not before.

Say you get your stills on the Timeline and you want to change the still image duration. Right click the still, select Time Stretch, and, in the Time Stretch dialog, set your duration to an exact duration. You will see 00;00;05;00 (hours;minutes;seconds;frames) in the Time Stretch dialog when you start). If you change the still duration to 1 second, it will look like 00;00;01;00. If you want to change the still duration for more than one still at a time, select each still all at the same time, right click in the selection, select Time Stretch, and change the duration in the Time Stretch dialog.

Please let us know if any of the above targeted your questions.

Thank you.

ATR