7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2015 4:34 PM by ChinookWolf

Importing DVD to Adobe Premiere Element 12

ChinookWolf

I have just recently purchased Adobe Premiere Element 12 and Photoshop pack. I am completely at a loss how to import a dvd (movies, anime). I downloaded a decrypter and then uploaded the disc onto a USB drive. After loading up the file into Adobe the whole movie was a huge mess, everything was choppy. Pinnacle studio came with a device that linked up the movie maker to the dvd player to capture clips. Is there something that I need to buy for Adobe Premiere? Do I need to do anything with Photoshop? Appreciate any answers

• 1. Re: Importing DVD to Adobe Premiere Element 12
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Directly editing a VOB... or Ripping a VOB to edit using a note from Jim Simon

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322647

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

• 2. Re: Importing DVD to Adobe Premiere Element 12
            A.T. Romano Level 7

ChinookWolf

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 running on? If you have not updated 12 to 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Update, please do so.

To your immediate...if you are using Premiere Elements, you do not need to do any conversions. I repeat that, you do not.

You simply insert your DVD disc with its DVD-VIDEO format in the burner tray and use Premiere Elements 12/12.1's Add Media/DVD camera or computer drive/Video Importer/ to get the video files from the disc into the Premiere Elements project. The file(s) that you seek are in the VIDEO_TS Folder on the disc and typically have the name starting with VTS_01_1.VOB. Depending on how much you have on the DVD disc, you might have additional files in the series

VTS_01_2.VOB and so on, maybe even the start and use of a VTS_02_01.VOB.

It would probably be safer in the beginning to set the project preset manually for either

NTSC DV Standard

NTSC DV Widescreen

or PAL counterpart

depending on format on disc standard 4:3 or widescreen 16:9 and for NTSC or PAL setup.

The instructions on how to set the project preset manually instead of letting the project do it is a general principle and not restricted to your particular type of project. Please see information in following link about this and instruction for setting the project preset manually.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

And, getting a little ahead of yourself, you might want to check out the following on suggestion for managing your type of project assets.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

Please review and consider the above. If any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Importing DVD to Adobe Premiere Element 12
              ChinookWolf Level 1

When I insert a disc it comes up with copyright protected or under rights management and unknown file, same with Adobe Photoshop. When I added the disc it showed all the boxes but they were all blank.

• 4. Re: Importing DVD to Adobe Premiere Element 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

ChinookWolf

When you are using Add Media/DVD camera or computer/Video Importer, it is normal to see that message regarding protected disc. That does not

mean that the program is calling your disk protected. It is just cautioning you about the consequences if it is.

Copyright.JPG

Are you setting the Source at the top of the Video Importer to the drive in which you have the DVD disc inserted?

Setting of the Source may be the answer. When going OK, the thumbnails that you want will start with the DVD

video files VTS_01_1.VOB and continues in series. That thumbnail (box) in the screenshot has been purposely

grayed.

Please check out the above and then we will move forward on this with more details if necessary. Depending on

how many DVD disks you are copying DVD video files from, we will need to talk about setting the Video Importer

Save In field so that you do not get messages about the files already being imported.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 5. Re: Importing DVD to Adobe Premiere Element 12
                  ChinookWolf Level 1

Ok I inserted the disc, did the DVD camera or computer drive, and it starts to download but then comes up with  "An error has occurred with importing files from this dvd. such errors are usually caused when the dvd is copy protected" and pops up with another box saying the videos already exist.  But then when I open up files it shows the video but its just a blank box and when I play it has 0. No video plays. Would it just be better for me to buy a device to import videos?

• 6. Re: Importing DVD to Adobe Premiere Element 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ChinookWolf

Thanks for the reply.

Did you ever say what computer operating system is involved? I have been assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

What is in the Save In field of the Video Importer? Whatever location is shown there, go to that location and determine what content is stored there with DVD-VIDEO video file

names, such as, VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB and so on?

Is that what you have already done when you write

But then when I open up files it shows the video but its just a blank box and when I play it has 0. No video plays.

What is the outcome if you explore the DVD disc in the burner tray and copy the DVD video vob files to the Desktop and then imports each

into Premiere Elements project with its Add Media/Files and Folders? I would prefer to have the Video Importer way work for you but I want

to think about this as a backup plan if necessary.

More later.

ATR

• 7. Re: Importing DVD to Adobe Premiere Element 12
                      ChinookWolf Level 1

My laptop is a windows 10 I think. And yes that's what I have done. I may be able to send a pic of the screen from my phone maybe. I have been able to save the CD to my laptop but nothing happens with it. The reason I really want to figure this out is that I can get video imported with my pinnacle studio but obviously its not meant for adobe so there are things I cant do.