6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2014 6:00 PM by ssprengel
      • 1. Re: Uninstall ACR 8.6 Beta?
        Yammer Level 4

Amazingly, you still can't uninstall ACR. Adobe really should sort this out.

However, you can install the new release without uninstalling the older one. It just replaces it.

• 2. Re: Uninstall ACR 8.6 Beta?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, camera raw installs over the top of the previous version so you just install the new version and it’ll overwrite the plug-in and all the camera and lens profiles.

It would be messy to uninstall the plug-in because the camera and lens profiles are shared across multiple versions of Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.  If every version of Photoshop and Elements had its own place for the profiles as well as the plug-in file, then it might make sense to have a plug-in-specific uninstaller so that uninstalling it on one PS wouldn’t affect the others.

• 3. Re: Uninstall ACR 8.6 Beta?
            Yammer Level 4

Messy maybe, but not rocket science, I think.

It wouldn't be difficult to make the installer create backup directories with old versions of the plug-in files, and provide a free tool to manage these, surely?

• 4. Re: Uninstall ACR 8.6 Beta?
              Yammer Level 4

I knocked up a couple of Windows command files to manage my ACR plug-ins when I was having a lot of trouble with Bridge:

Thumbnails continually rebuilding

• 5. Re: Uninstall ACR 8.6 Beta?
                DBS25 Level 1

Thanks everyone. 

I've tried updating, but it says I'm up to date. 

Tried installing latest .dng.  still had beta.

• 6. Re: Uninstall ACR 8.6 Beta?
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The official way to uninstall ACR is to uninstall Photoshop or whatever Adobe product ACR came with.

If you have not been offered the non-beta ACR since the first of August when it was first available then there is something wrong with what is tracking the versions of things and an uninstaller would not necessarily help with that.   I mean, even if there was an uninstaller, you might uninstall ACR 8.6 RC and still not be offered any update and be stuck without any ACR.  So the ultimate solution is to reset things enough that the Adobe version database and processes to make everything work like it should, again.  I’m not sure exactly how to do this.  On way is to uninstall all Adobe products then run the CC Cleaner and then reinstall all Adobe products.

Without fixing the underlying issue, it might also should work to use the manual installers you can download from an Adobe HELPX page with direct links:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html