0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2014 12:42 AM by manzico

Histogram shown in photoshop for file opened from lightroom doesn't match histogram shown in lightroom

manzico Level 1

I have both Lightroom (5.6) and Photoshop (CC 2014.1.0) both set to operate using ProPhoto RGB.  Lightroom is set to use it for external editing in Photoshop CC 2014 (via a TIFF), and Photoshop has it set as the default RGB color space.  When select a raw file that I'm working on in Lightroom and choose Edit in > Edit in Adobe Photoshop CC 2014, it opens in Photoshop CC 2014 as the a fore mentioned TIFF file in ProPhoto RGB color space.  But I just noticed that the histograms shown by both applications differ significantly even though, as far as I can tell the images match.  Here's the histogram from Lightroom:

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 12.37.23 AM.png

And here's the histogram from Photoshop:

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 12.38.53 AM.png

Do I have something set up wrong?  I don't really understand why they differ.  I'm seeing clipping in the blue channel in Photoshop that isn't there in Lightroom.  I know Lightroom uses the Melissa RGB colorspace, but my understanding was that this was a linear version of ProPhoto RGB.  Is the linear/log nature of the two color spaces the cause of the differing histograms?  What am I looking at here?  Any thoughts would be great.  I can't see that this is negatively impacting my results, but I am certainly curious as to what is going on.

Thanks,

Dave