8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 2:38 PM by TonyAdtec

Freeze problems

rmartin215 Level 1

Whenever I try to freeze roto brush, aftereffects bombs...  Help!

Randall Martin

AfterEffects CC 12.2

Win 7 Prof Serv Pack 1 64 bit

Processor: Intel Core i7 920@2.67 Ghz

1. 12.0 GB

Video Card: GEForce GTS 450

• 1. Re: Freeze problems
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This may sound odd, but what happens if you change your Windows settings to be more like the Windows 7 default look. Having it emulate the old versions of Windows (with the solid grey buttons, toolbars,  etc.) has been known to cause some strange errors. Counter-intuitively, it's actually making Windows work harder. I'm not saying turn on the transparency options for the windows or anything, but just go back to the more Aero look and try again.

If the problem remains, make sure you've updated AE. The current version of CC is 12.2.1.5

Alternatively, try it in the newer version (currently 13.0.2, but an update is supposed to be coming out in a few weeks).

• 2. Re: Freeze problems
            rmartin215 Level 1

Szalarn:

There seem to be many default options for win 7.  Could you give me some more info about how to set it to the default look?

Thanks.  

• 3. Re: Freeze problems
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

That's a rather large span that you're trying to freeze. What happens if you work with a shorter duration?

• 4. Re: Freeze problems

rmartin215 wrote:

Szalarn:

There seem to be many default options for win 7.  Could you give me some more info about how to set it to the default look?

• Right-click on your desktop
                • Choose Personalize
                • There should be one or more Aero themes to choose from
                • Pick one (Windows 7 would be a good place to start)
                • If you are concerned about performance, you can go into the preset theme and uncheck the transparency option

themes.png

If those aren't present, you may need to talk with whomever set up your system.

I'd also like to see what happens if you try a shorter duration as Todd suggests.

• 5. Re: Freeze problems
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are probably running out of resources. Why such a long clip? When doing roto work you should trim to exactly the portion that is needed and then only roto the parts that you need to roto. IOW, if you are compositing a rock into the scene and your actor needs to walk behind the rock and the rock is only as high as the actors knee and the actor only needs to be behind the rock for 20 frames then you roto your actors legs below the knee for 20 frames. Most folks would roto the entire actor for the entire shot. 2506 frames is about a minute and a half. That's a very long vfx shot. That's a very long time to be on one shot. Maybe there's a few places you could cut or simplify. At first it may seem like doing the roto on the whole shot is the best way to handle the shot but in most cases it is not at all what is needed.

• 6. Re: Freeze problems
                    rmartin215 Level 1

It does seem that at least one issue is the length of the span....when cut down to 722 frames, the freeze although slow in staring and executing - took about 20 minutes. The clip was in a project imported from Premiere, and I just used the whole thing, working on when the actor went "off" the green screen, with eight separate spans scattered throughout the clip.

Also, I'll try changing the Win 7 settings.

I wonder if my computer specs also have something to do with the problem..  Premiere 7.2.2 and 8.01 does not work well with just three cameras in a multicam, so I am thinking of upgrading.

Any suggestions?

• 7. Re: Freeze problems

rmartin215 wrote:

I wonder if my computer specs also have something to do with the problem..  Premiere 7.2.2 and 8.01 does not work well with just three cameras in a multicam, so I am thinking of upgrading.

Any suggestions?

I consider 16 GB of RAM to be the minimum to run AE. I'd suggest tossing as much into your system as the motherboard can hold.

It wouldn't hurt to put a GPU in there to help Premiere a bit. (Pick one off the list here: System requirements | Adobe Premiere Pro)

Useful info: optimizing for performance: Adobe Premiere Pro and After EffectsHelpful lesson: Optimizing CPUs - Lesson

Here's a useful event where AE and Premiere team members talk about how the programs use system resources: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/event/index.cfm?event=set_registered&id=2490687&loc=en_us It's very valuable to anyone looking to build a system (or just understand what's happening in their current one).

• 8. Re: Freeze problems
                        TonyAdtec

I'm actually having the same problem with CC 2014 of After Effects on a 3 minute clip that works perfectly fine using just the rotobrush tool, but completely craps out with the refine edge tool and freezing the tools on that clip. Specs for my system are listed below:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 4/16/2015, 16:06:12

Machine name: WorkPC !

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150316-1654)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA

System Model: TECRA W50-A

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 32768MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 32712MB RAM

Page File: 14166MB used, 51254MB available

Windows Dir: C:\windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

Though, looking at the activity monitor, maybe it is a resource issue? I saw this as it's currently working through 6512 frames and (currently) at 690 frames into the freezing process.