23 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2015 5:59 AM by A.T. Romano

Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?

Marmotte06

Hi, I just installed Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13. Photoshop Elements 13 seems OK so far, but when opening Premiere Elements 13 or the Organizer 13, they display huge menu fonts, at least twice the normal size, and that makes the user interface almost unusable. I didn't find any configuration option allowing to come back to the normal font size. Is that a bug ? What can I do (other than throwing the stuff away and coming back to Elements 12) ?

I am on Windows 8.1 on an Intel Haswell CPU with integrated graphics, and my screen is a 24" NEC PA241W with a 1920x1200 resolution (not a retina screen).

Olivier

• 1. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Marmotte06

I am downloading Premiere Elements 13 to my Window 8.1 64 bit to determine if I can duplicate the display issue that you present.

What are your computer's display settings, and what is the native resolution of your computer monitor (1920 x 1080?)

Is Premiere Elements 12 currently on the same computer, displaying the menu fonts with file sizes that are "normal"

Premiere Elements 12, Windows 7 64 bit

PE12.JPG

versus

Premiere Elements 13, Windows 7 64 bit

PE13.JPG

More news once I install Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Looking forward to your follow up with more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
            Marmotte06 Level 1

Hi, thank you for investigating. Answers to your questions:

What are your computer's display settings, and what is the native resolution of your computer monitor (1920 x 1080?):

• My monitor is a 24 inches NEC PA241W with a native resolution of 1920*1200, and my desktop resolution is also 1920*1200. Please note that this is a screen with a 16/10 aspect ration (whereas the 1920*1080 you mention is 16/9. My impression is that this is the source of the bug, I guess you consider that anything above 1920*1080 is hDPI, and you forgot that photographers often use 1920*1200 screens which are much more convenient to edit vertical pictures. Hence Premiere elements and the considere that 1920*1200 is hDPI and use big fonts for the menus. However, surprisingly, the Elements editor 13 uses the right fonts and doesn't have the bug.

Is Premiere Elements 12 currently on the same computer, displaying the menu fonts with file sizes that are "normal" ?

• Yes, absolutely ! And, as said above, the Elements 13 editor also displays right. The "big fonts" problem is limited to Premiere Elements 13 and the Organizer 13.

Here is a screenshot of the Elements Editor 13 (OK):

Elements Editor 13.jpg

And here is a screenshot of the Premiere Elements 13 menu (WRONG font size):

Premiere Elements 13.jpg

Best Regards

Olivier

• 3. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
              Marmotte06 Level 1

An additional information to help you reproduce the problem:

In the Windows display settings of my desktop, I have configured the system fonts to 125%, which is definitely the right setting for the size of my screen and all applications.

Now, what's interesting is that if I change that setting to 100%, then all my applications have very small menus (which is why I prefer 125%), but both Elements Editor 13 and Premier Elements 13 display the same (and correct) menu size !!!

Conclusion is that Premiere Elements 13 and the Organizer 13 don't handle properly the system font setting. But the Elements Editor 13 does it right, so you have to check how the Editor 13 does it, and do the same in the two other modules...

Olivier

• 4. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Olivier

Thanks for the additional information.

I had written you a reply last night but somehow it was left unsent. But none of it applies to your latest report so I am not posting the troubleshooting scheme that it proposed.

Instead, based on your latest post, I will do the comparisons in my Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 7 and 8.1 64 bit and report my results as soon as possible today. Just starting my day.

Thanks for the follow up, especially the details of your situation.

ATR

• 5. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                  Marmotte06 Level 1

ATR,

To make sure you don't miss anything: I've got Win 8.1 Professional x64, CPU 4790K, Intel IGP HD 4600 (no additional video card).

• All latest Windows updates have been applied, latest Intel video drivers are in place.
                  • All other photo applications (Canon DPP, DxO, Photomatix, Autopano) work without any problem.

Olivier

• 6. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Olivier

Based on the information that you have supplied, I will make the comparison.

So, if all has been reported, I should not be missing anything.

Let us see what the results will show.

Coming soon.

ATR

• 7. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Marmotte06

I have not been able to confirm your observations in what I have done. The following is what I have done all at Medium 125% for the display to conform to your requirements.

Premiere Elements/Elements Organizer 12 and 13 on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Monitor 19 in Native Resolution 1440 x 900

Premiere Elements 12 Editor

V12Editor.JPG

Elements Organizer 12

V12EO.JPG

Premiere Elements 13 Editor

V13editor.JPG

Elements Organizer 13

V13EO.JPG

Premiere Elements/Elements Organizer 12 and 13 on Windows 8.1 64 bit, Monitor 15.6 in Native Resolution 1366 x 768

Premiere Elements 12 Editor

Not shown, but same as below for Premiere Elements 13 Editor.

Elements Organizer 12

V12EO - Copy.jpg

V13Editor.jpg

Elements Organizer 13

V13EO - Copy.jpg

Also, Windows 8.1 64 bit computer was attached by HDMI to a second monitor 24 in 1080p (duplicated displays), and Premiere Elements 13 Editor

and Elements Organizer 13 font size was comparable on its particular monitor.

I based the above comparisons on your thread title

Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure?

But, when I took a second look at your screenshots (post 2), I wondered about all this. The color of the icons suggested your

comparison of the font size for the Photoshop Elements 13 Editor versus the Premiere Elements 13 Editor. So, I looked at this

aspect of the matter. But, this test did not support your results posted in post numbered 2 of this thread. My results were

Photoshop Elements 13 Editor

PSE13Editor.JPG

V13editor.JPG

Please review and consider and then we can compare our differences in results further. Please let me know what

additional tests you want me to make and if the above has given you any insights into what may be going on in

your computer environment in the way of conflicting programs.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                        Marmotte06 Level 1

Hi again ATR,

From your previous mail I understand you have NOT used a 1920*1200 monitor. Apparently (see this other thread Re: Photoshop Elements 13), others using such monitors encounter the same problem.

What I think is that Premier Elements considers any screen with a resolution higher than 1920*1080 as a high-DPI screen and automatically enlarges the menu fonts (this is one of the new features advertized for Elements 13). But, there is probably a mismatch with the fact I have configured a 125% system font, and the result is the big menu font I observe.

Olivier

• 9. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                          Marmotte06 Level 1

To confirm the diagnostic I just made above, I just tried to "downgrade" the resolution of my desktop to 1920*1050 (Windows warns me that is is not the native resolution of my screen, but I tried anyway) and, guess what ?

The problem disapears, both Premier Elements 13 and the Elements Editor 13 display the same -normal- font size.

So, again, the problem specifically appears on 1920*1200 screens configured with a 125% font size.

You do have to set-up that configuration to reproduce the bug.

Olivier

• 10. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Olivier

Thank you for the details and references. MichelBParis is a major contributor to Elements and well respected.

I do not have access to a monitor with a resolution, native or otherwise, greater than 1920 x 1080.

But from what you have described and what MichelBParis has explained, I think that you have a viable and confirmed

explanation for what you observed. Great job.

Adobe has an "Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form" that you may want to submit.Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

We are not Adobe here. Rather user to user.

Thank you for calling attention to the Elements issue related to font size/greater than 1920 x 1080 monitor/125% display.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                              Marmotte06 Level 1

Thanks ATR, I reported the problem at the place you mention. However, this seems to be another community forum, I really wonder whether anyone from Adobe is looking at that forum and investigating/fixing problems.

My experience of Adobe's capability to fix problems is bad. I have leaved with serious problems in the Organizer and in the Element editor 11 and 12, that where never fixed (hopefully I eventually found turnarounds). Adobe's problem fix Policy seems to be "I don't care about you customers, you have to wait next year and pry the problem is fixed in the next version".

But, here, that Big Font problem is such a usability issue that I won't wait 1 year. I'll migrate very soon to Paint Shop Pro x7 if no fix comes quickly.

Also note that, since yesterday, I also encountered a

PSE bug.jpg

that make me think that the quality of Elements 13 is poor.

Olivier

• 12. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Olivier

Thanks for the further news of your situation.

What were you doing in the Photoshop Elements 13 Editor when you received the error message shown in your post numbered 11?

Out of curiosity I ask "Have you found an evidence that the Photoshop Elements 13 Editor message is in any way linked to the 125% Display setting?"

Have you deleted the Editor's Settings file either by keyboard shortcut, program preferences, or the long route to the file itself? If you

have not already, you might want to take that issue to the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum to the attention of Barbara Brundage, MichelBParis, and others

there to learn of their experiences with Photoshop Elements 13 Editor. So far, I have not found any problems in this regard under the conditions of my Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8.1 64 bit computer environments.

About the Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form....we are not Adobe and can only go by the written word as per the Adobe details for the form, I quote from it:

We normally do not send personal replies to feature requests or bug reports. We do, however, read each and every message. We use the information to improve our products and services. Your comments, suggestions, and ideas for improvements are very important to us. We appreciate you taking the time to send us this information.

In the case of version 12, a 12.1 Update did materialize in March 2014 after the release of version 12 in September 2013.

Since you have a purchased copy of Premiere Elements 13, have you sought to contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat to resolve any of the issues that you have faced? It has the opportunity to do remote control of your computer troubleshooting where we cannot.

Please review and let us know the outcome when you have time.

Best wishes for whatever your decisions are in moving forward with your photo video editing projects.

ATR

• 13. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                                  Marmotte06 Level 1

Good evening ATR,

What were you doing in the Photoshop Elements 13 Editor when you received the error message shown in your post numbered 11?

• I was using the image croping tool, and after some attempts on a picture, I got the error message box and the tool refused to crop the picture as requested. I tried to reproduce the problem but couldn't, so far. I'll make another post if I can manage to reproduce the problem.

Have you deleted the Editor's Settings file either by keyboard shortcut, program preferences, or the long route to the file itself?

• No, I didn't. But I am actually trying to find out where Premiere Elements and the other program store their settings, with the hope I could find there a parameter regarding the menu font size... I found a setting file, but nothing interesting in it.

In the case of version 12, a 12.1 Update did materialize in March 2014 after the release of version 12 in September 2013.

• I won't have that patience, I am already looking at the specs of PSP X7 and of ACDsee Pro 7 to check whether they would be a good replacement for Photoshop Elements. I will shortly take a decision.

Olivier

• 14. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                                    PRE_help Adobe Employee

Marmotte06 wrote:

To confirm the diagnostic I just made above, I just tried to "downgrade" the resolution of my desktop to 1920*1050 (Windows warns me that is is not the native resolution of my screen, but I tried anyway) and, guess what ?

The problem disapears, both Premier Elements 13 and the Elements Editor 13 display the same -normal- font size.

So, again, the problem specifically appears on 1920*1200 screens configured with a 125% font size.

You do have to set-up that configuration to reproduce the bug.

Olivier

This is the correct and expected observation. We scale the content of the app as a function of the desktop resolution and the DPI value. This feature is new in Elements 13 and is primarily designed for high resolution monitors. The way the DPI based scaling works in Premiere Elements 13 (and Elements 13 Organizer) and Photoshop Elements 13 is different.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 15. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                                      Marmotte06 Level 1

Does this mean you consider the behavior of PRE 13 and Organizer 13, i.e anormally big menu fonts, as a normal "feature" and won't fix it ?

Just for the fun, I would appreciate to understand why:

1. You consider a 1920 x 1200 screen (16/10 aspect ratio) as a high DPI screen, whereas you consider 1920 x 1015 (same screen but with a 16/9 aspect ratio) is not.
                                      2. You made the Elements Editor work fine and display normal menu fonts, whereas you intentionally made Premiere Elements and the Organizer use big fonts that dramatically reduce the workspace size and make these tools unusable on a 1920 * 1200 screen.

If you really considere these "new features" are a progress, then it is now clear I am going to stop following the progress as seen by Adobe.

Best Regards

• 16. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                                        PRE_help Adobe Employee

When you changed the resolution to 1920x1050 (or is it 1920x1015?) what was the DPI?

• 17. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                                          Marmotte06 Level 1

Ok, let's do some computations:

I have a 24" monitor with a 16/10 aspect ratio, which makes it 20.35" wide and 12.72" high

That monitor has a 1920 x 1200 native resolution.

That makes it 94.34 DPI in both directions.

Now, when I artificially change its resolution to 1920 x 1050 (which has the unacceptable effects of making every pixel rectangular and of degrading the visual sharpness of my screen), it keeps 94.34 DPI horizontally but comes down to 82.55 DPI vertically.

• My essential question is: why don't you treat 1920 * 1200 monitors exactly like 1920 * 1080 monitors, since they have exactly the same DPI, but with a different aspect ratio ???
                                          • And, as already explained many times in the conversation above: the Elements Editor 13 does it right, so why do the organizer and PRE 13 behave differently ???

Have a look at my post dated 27 sept. 2014 00:03 to see the result of this problem.

Olivier

• 18. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                                            Marmotte06 Level 1

Hi, when looking at the PSE forum, I see that more and more people are complaining about the menu font size, either too small or too large.

Thinking about it, you have 5 parameters to take into account to compute the right font size:

1. The dimension of the screen (usually measured by its diagonal)
                                            2. The screen aspect ration (4/4, 16/9, 16/10, and many others....)
                                            3. The pixel size of the screen (horizontal & vertical)
                                            4. The desktop font scaling factor set by the user (100%, 125%, 150%, 200%), at least in Windows (don't know whether Macs have this option). Remember that users already use that setting to compensate their screen size/resolution for ALL the other applications.
                                            5. And... the distance between the user's eyes and the screen, that you do not control. Knowing that users don't seat at the same distance of there screen depending it's a desktop or laptop computer.

Given all these variables, I doubt you will ever find a perfect formula for all... and that you will ever be able to test all the combinations to validate your formula.

The best option in my mind would be that you add a preference option in your programs to let users decide whether or not they want an automatic scaling be applied, so they could chose what work the best for them.

Olivier

• 19. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                                              Marmotte06 Level 1

I was naively hoping that the Elements+Premiere 13.1 update would fix the problem. Nop, nothing, still huge menu fonts on Premiere and the Organizer. Adobe just doesn't care about customers problems and reports. Elements has become a joke, I am really fed up. I am looking at the competition now. Maybe they have bugs too, but at least they fix them. Olivier

• 20. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Olivier

Thanks for the update.

Since I do not have a 1920 x 1200 monitor, I have not had the opportunity to determine if the recent Premiere Elements 13.1 and Elements Organizer 13.1 Updates fixed any aspect of your issue - specifically large font size with monitor 1920 x 1200, control panel display set 125%.

So your report is good to have. Sorry that the news was not better for your preferred workflow.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 21. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                                                  Marmotte06 Level 1

Thanks ATR for your willingness to help. But I also reported the problem to Adobe directly, and that was a pure waste of time, although they certainly have all the monitors needed to make a test and fix the problem. I believe they just don't care. There is no support for this product which seems at the end of its carreer, now that they are moving everything to the cloud, which is a much better cash cow than Elements. Olivier

• 22. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                                                    torbjorn68 Level 1

Just installed PE13 and got the same issue with HUGE user interface on my monitor (EIZO 24' with 1920x1280) when I set windows font sizing to 125%. If i turn it down to 100% everything looks normal again (as it use to look in PE12).

Problem with 100% is that all other programs and windows look too small.

I probably will end up switching settings which is a pain since a logout/login is required for it to set in.

Really hope Adobe can adress this with an update.

• 23. Re: Huge Menu font size on Premiere Elements 13 and Organizer 13, how to configure ?
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

torbjorn68

Thanks for adding to the information on Premiere Elements interface issues.

As you may know, this is not Adobe, but rather user to user.

You might want to consider filing an Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form to make your voice heard at Adobe.

My understanding of this form is that is there is no immediate individual response, just Adobe reviewing your comments.

This is the link for the Form

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

ATR