4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2007 9:14 AM by abeall

TIFF images in Flash

I have to load a TIFF and BMP images into an Image Editor I'm currently developing from an external link.

Is there any way to do this? I'm getting pretty desperate and I have no clue of how to do it.

Thanks,
      Horea
        • 1. Re: TIFF images in Flash
          Level 7
          You can load SWF, JPEG, GIF, and PNG files only.

--
          Dave -
          Head Developer
          www.blurredistinction.com
          Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: TIFF images in Flash
            abeall Level 3
            PNG is a lossless format like TIFF and BMP, why do you need to load a TIFF or BMP? You could also convert a TIFF or BMP to a PNG or JPG using a serverside script, like PHP.
            • 3. Re: TIFF images in Flash
              Level 1
              I don't need to load TIFF or BMP, I need to be able to send a link as a parameter to Flash that can also lead to a TIFF image, and Flash will know what to do with it.

Now, I know that I can convert a TIFF or BMP to PNG or JPG, and I'd just love that. The problem is that I am not very good with PHP or ASP and I don't know how to code such a converter.

Could you help me with that?

Thanks,
              Horea
              • 4. Re: TIFF images in Flash
                abeall Level 3
                Unfortantely, I can't, I'm not very experienced with PHP either, although I've worked with people who have done this for me, essentially. Wil lthe TIFF or BMP be on your server? What you'll basically have to do is create a script which servers images to your Flash, so let's say "someImage.tiff" gets passed in, you would request:
                imageForFlash.php?img=someImage.tiff

Then the imageForFlash.php would be scripted to convert .tiff files to .png files if the .png doesn't already exist in some predefined storage place.

Try a PHP forum for futher help on the PHP side.