2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2007 1:13 PM by Newsgroup_User

Datagrid component

Level 7
      All,

I'd like to be able to connect a Datagrid component with data in an Access
      DB using ASP scripting middleware. Has anyone successfully used datagrids
      in that manner? I'd be interested in learning how successful it was,
      problems encountered, and so forth.

TIA,

Marc Lee
      Denver CO

• 1. Re: Datagrid component
          tonyhigham Level 1
          The datagrid component itself is pretty straightforward to use, and IMO the best of the V2 components. Datagrid generally accept AS arrays as dataProviders, so your main concern is getting the data to flash in the first place. If ASP is your middleware of choice, your 2 best options are remoting and the webService component.

Remoting allows you to consume webservices in several different languages using native AS dataypes, which means no serialization. :)
          I personally use PHP for my remoting middleware, so I cant speak to the quality of the ASP implementation, but here's a link to more info:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashremoting/articles/intro_flremoting_net.html

A good tutorial on using the webService component:

http://www.sephiroth.it/tutorials/flashPHP/webServiceConnector/
          • 2. Re: Datagrid component
            Level 7
            done it here as well... I use asp to build a pipe and caret delimited
            string that is sent to flash as a single name/value pair. Once received
            into the swf I parse it into a 2D array and assign the array as the data
            provider to the grid control... works just fine

Marc Lee wrote:
            > All,
            >
            > I'd like to be able to connect a Datagrid component with data in an Access
            > DB using ASP scripting middleware. Has anyone successfully used datagrids
            > in that manner? I'd be interested in learning how successful it was,
            > problems encountered, and so forth.
            >
            > TIA,
            >
            > Marc Lee
            > Denver CO
            >
            >