14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2014 11:54 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?

jedokie Level 1

I have DVDs  that were commercially made from my own 8mm family films and I have edited the .VOB files with Adobe Premiere Elements 11. The edited project is on the time line and I have added background music to the silent 8mm films. The entire project is in .VOB files. When I try to render the project, hitting the enter button simply starts the project playing, but Adobe Premiere Elements 11 does not render the project. There is no colored line above the work area. The files are VTS_01_1.VOB.  I can't get Windows Media Player to burn the project to a DVD so I can send copies to my family. How can I burn the project to a DVD that will play for my family in a normal DVD player? Will it be necessary to render the project? If yes, how do I do that? If I purchase Adobe Creative Cloud will it have something that will help me get my project burned to a DVD? Thanks.

• 1. Re: How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?
          whsprague Level 4

ATR is sure to offer help here.  But, I'll try.

The word "render" is used too many ways when applied to the transcoding or processing in video software.

The version of "render" that takes place by pressing the Return button is to create smooth flowing preview files for use in the editing process.

To "render" a final file, the encoding, transcoding or processing is repeated based on the final target.  To have that happen when your project is complete, you work through the menus and choices under the Publish & Share selection in the upper right corner of your screen.  It is here you will find the choices to make DVDs.

• 2. Re: How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

jedokie

Rendering the Timeline is for previewing purposes only. It does not "fix" the video, as in applying an effect to it. The render color line indicator over Timeline content is the program's way of telling you whether or not the program feels it is giving you the best possible preview. When that indicator line is "no color" or "green", that is the program telling you that you have the best possible preview. Under the latter condition, if you press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard, you cannot get rendering because the program feels you already have the best possible preview. Under those circumstances, all you will get from pressing the Enter key is play back of the Timeline content, no rendering. That is all normal.

If you have a Timeline content will no colored line over it (you are getting the best possible preview) and the preview looks bad, that is a flare up to catch a problem sooner than later. Then we go to work trying to find the whys.

From what you wrote, you have a Premiere Elements 11 project which will take your Timeline to DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc. So, where is the Windows Media Player coming into this for the burn to disc? It does not follow. So, please explain.

After you have your Timeline content established in the Edit area, and your disc menus (if wanted) created in Tools Menu/Movie Menu/, you go to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc and set the preset for NTSC Dolby DVD (for 4:3) or NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD (for 16:9). You hit burn in the burn dialog and your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc should be produced for viewing on the computer or the TV's DVD player.

There are details along the way to make this all come together

a. Knowing if your source is standard or widescreen and assuring that the project preset matches the properties of that source.

b. Setting the export preset to match the 4:3 (standard) or the 16:9 (widescreen) source.

c. Make sure what you are putting on the DVD disc is not greatly exceeding the capacity of the disc. We can talk about the burn dialog's readings for Space Required and Bitrate which you see immediate before you hit the burn dialog's Burn button.

If you have problems with taking your Timeline content to burn to disc because the program does not recognize your burner, we can talk about

burn to folder in conjunction with the ImgBurn program.

Your details and clarification will help us to help you find your way to the Premiere Elements end product that you see.

Do not hesitate to ask questions and ask for clarification.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?
              jedokie Level 1

Romano I will repeat what I said in my post, "How can I burn the project to a DVD that will play for my family in a normal DVD player?" I did not ask about previewing the project. I said pressing the "enter" button starts the project playing, and it plays very well, and previews normally. My question was how to get the project that is in .VOB files burned to a DVD. I never asked how to "fix" the video, that's your verbiage. Premiere elements 11 will not burn my project to DVD in the normal way. I want to know how to burn this project to a DVD that will play in a normal DVD player. I have the project edited the way I want, I just can't get it burned to a DVD so I can share it with my family. I also asked if Creative Cloud had something that would help me get my project burned to DVD.

• 4. Re: How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?
                jedokie Level 1

When I look at the normal choices I don't find any choice that will burn my project to a DVD that will play in a normal DVD player. Can you tell me which of the choices will do that? Do I need a different program to transcode my project? Does Creative Cloud have anything that will solve this problem? Thanks.

• 5. Re: How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help

-specifically, this link Sharing to DVD or Blu-ray Disc and the Adobe article link at the top

• 6. Re: How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?
                    whsprague Level 4

jedokie wrote:

When I look at the normal choices I don't find any choice that will burn my project to a DVD that will play in a normal DVD player. Can you tell me which of the choices will do that? Do I need a different program to transcode my project? Does Creative Cloud have anything that will solve this problem? Thanks.

Earlier I wrote: "....your project is complete, you work through the menus and choices under the Publish & Share selection in the upper right corner of your screen.  It is here you will find the choices to make DVDs."Capture.JPG

• 7. Re: How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

jedokie

When you are ready to burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, click on Publish+Share at the top right of the workspace.

After you click on Publish+Share, click on the Disc choice. After you click on Disc category, click on DVD in the burn dialog

which has the header "Disc:: Choose location and settings: Then you set the Burn to: field to Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB).

Set your save location for the Folder that is going to be produced from Burn to:

three.JPG

In the folder from the saved Folder, take only the VIDEO_TS Folder from that saved folder into the free ImgBurn program

to produce your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. Please see

How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn - AfterDawn: Guides

After reading those instructions, if you have any questions about them, please let me know and I will fine tune any areas that

need fine tuning.

Please let us know if this is the specific information that you were seeking.

I am not clear what you mean by

When I look at the normal choices I don't find any choice that will burn my project to a DVD that will play in a normal DVD player. Can you tell me which of the choices will do that?

This is what I would consider the "normal way"

1. Burn to: = Disc

two.JPG

Is Premiere Elements 11 showing your DVD burner in the Burner Location: of the burn dialog?

Does the Status: show Ready when you have you DVD disc in the burner tray?

Have you select Presets = whichever corresponds to your source -

NTSC_Dolby DVD

or

NTSC_Widescreen_DVD Dolby

or

PAL counterparts if you are in a PAL region

In the Quality Area of the burn dialog, is Space Required 4.38 GB or less and Bitrate 8.00 Mbps.

If Yes to all of the above, then hit the Burn button. You should be on your way to producing a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc

that should be playable on the computer or TV's DVD player.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

Add On...There is another angle to all this which I will add as a just in case measure...you have DVD-VIDEO files on your Timeline, and I have assumed that you want to burn them to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. By any chance is your intent to burn them to AVCHD format on DVD disc?

• 8. Re: How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

jedokie

All my responses have been addressed to issues according to your own wording. Be that as it may....moving forward and to clarify

I would call to your attention  the basis for my very long post description in numbered 7 of your thread

Premiere elements 11 will not burn my project to DVD in the normal way.

I want to know how to burn this project to a DVD that will play in a normal DVD player.

The important matter is that we want you to succeed.

We will be looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?
                          jedokie Level 1

Romano when I go to "Publish and Share" I click on DVD, put in the DVD name, and next to Burner Location is: H: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7214 and to the right of that is a window that says Rescan. Do I need to Rescan? Beneath that is the place to put in the number of copies (1) and directly below that is a line that say Status and next to it is a yellow triangle with an ! in the center of the triangle and next to that the window says: "Media not present". What does that mean? Below that there is a line for Presets and inside that box NTSC_DolbyDVD and below that a line for Quality and I have tried checking the box for fit Contents to available space and unchecking the same box and moving the slider from Most Video to highest quality and nothing changes. At the bottom right of the "Disc:Choose location and settings" window there are two small windows, one says Back and the other says Burn and the Burn window is greyed out so that it does not function. Is there anyway I can use Adobe Premiere Elements 11 to burn a normal DVD that will play in a regular DVD player found in most homes from the project I have on my timeline? It previews perfectly. I only asked about Rendering because I thought maybe the project needed to be Rendered before it is burned to DVD. I got my family video files from a DVD that was made from our old 8mm films and that DVD will play in a regular home DVD player but when I copy the DVD to my hard drive it is in the .VOB files as I said. Adobe Premiere Elements 11 edited the .VOB files without any problem. I am now just stuck with my project on the timeline and I can't seem to find any way to get it back on a regular DVD. Thanks.

• 10. Re: How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?
                            jedokie Level 1

Thanks John, but I couldn't find anything that will help me burn my project of .VOB files to DVD using Adobe Premiere Elements 11.

• 11. Re: How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

jedokie

Thanks for the reply and the opportunity to clarify.

1. Good news is that the program is recognizing your burner as evidenced by the name of your burner appearing in the Burner Location field.

2. Next consideration is what is showing in the Status field after you have your DVD disc placed in the DVD burner tray. If it says Ready, no need to

hit the Rescan button. If it is not showing Ready, then give it a few seconds and/or hit the Rescan button. If still not showing Ready, then we have problems.

We should be able to get an idea of the problems by what message the Status field is showing. Media Not Present can be a troublesome situation if it persists. The first remedy for that is to try another DVD brand/type.

You are not going to get a functional Burn button in the burn dialog until you get a Ready in the Status field. This may be the hang up.

3. Leave the Fit Content to Available Space option with a check mark next to it. The only time I uncheck that option is if I get a Data Rate error message

and need to lower the bitrate manually with the Quality slider in order to move forward in the burn to.

4. As for Copies, I prefer to make my Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc copies with the burn software that came with the burn dialog. We can discuss the alternatives after we get a successful burn to disc for you.

If you are in a time crunch to get out this DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc and do not have the time for working through the Status issue, we can do the burn to folder and I can go step by step with you through the ImgBurn + VIDEO_TS Folder way that I mentioned earlier.

We will be watching for your results....first order of business, that Status: Media Not Present

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?
                                jedokie Level 1

Thank you for your extra help. I have a new blank DVD in my Optairc RW DVD burner but the Status always says: "Media not present. I'm not sure if it thinks I don't have a blank DVD in the DVD burner or it thinks there is no project to burn. It never says "Ready". The "Burn" button at the bottom is also never active but is always greyed out and inactive. My video DVD is in 4:3 format and I have presets that way (NTSC_Dolby DVD). My project plays well in the Premiere player. I am in the USA and do not use PAL. What about the "Rescan" button, do I need to press that? As far as the Status "Media not present", how do I investigate why this does not say "Ready"? I want to burn the project on the time line that is all in .VOB files to a regular video DVD disk that will play in a normal DVD player attached to a TV or as a built-in part of some TVs. I assume that is usually MPEG-2 or MPEG-3 format, is that right? I haven't tried your suggestion to use ImgBurn but I will try that, although I'm not sure if I know how to take only the

VIDEO_TS folder, but perhaps it will be clear when I read the instructions. Thanks again.

• 13. Re: How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?
                                  jedokie Level 1

I can't get the Status to show "Ready" It always says "Media not present". I've tried new DVD and mine are generic DVDs  +R from Comp USA. I've also tried another BD DVD burner on this same computer and no change. I went to the ImgBurn site and clicked on their green "Download" button but no download. I tried this 3 times all with the same result. I sent them an email asking if there is some other way to download ImgBurn, but so far no response. Still Status: Media not present. I do have some RW DVDs, should I try them? Should I also try DVD-R? I've used these Comp USA DVD+R for videos before with no problems. Thanks again.

• 14. Re: How do I render my edited project made from .VOB files?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jedokie

Definitely try the DVD-R type. Also DVD-RW should be usable even if they have been written to before. But, remember, Premiere Elements will not add to the DVD-RW, it will erase the prior data first and then burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Also, try putting the DVD disc in the burner tray before you open the Premiere Elements project. See if that is to any advantage.

Do you have a DVD/CD burner or a Blu-ray DVD/CD burner?

As for ImgBurn, you could be running into an antivirus and firewall(s) issue. Depending on how things go in that regard, try disabling the antivirus and firewall(s) and trying for the ImgBurn download and install.

Did you hit the Download button shown in this screenshot of the link posted earlier.

Safe.JPG

Just be careful for your choices in the download and install process so that you do not get hit with carry alongs with the free ImgBurn program.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR