16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2014 8:16 AM by A.T. Romano

Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.

chti_gaby

It says: "Adobe Premiere Elements 13 has stopped working" without additional details. It doesn't close, it is not frozen, but it does not work.

I tried Adobe Premiere Elements 12 (trial version) which had no problem at all on my PC. I'm using the 64 bit version on Windows 7. I've tried to re-start the pc, to uninstall PRE 12, but this does not work. I have access to the Organizer though. Has anyone manages to get PRE 13 installed?

• 1. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say what operating system you're using but, if you're on a PC, try launching the program and holding down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys on the left side of your keyboard as the program starts up. This often clears corrupted preferences.

• 2. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
            chti_gaby Level 1

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately this trick does not work in my case. I am on a PC with Windows 7 - 64bits. I've tried the whole installation procedure again, nothing changed. Strangely I had no problem at all with the previous version (trial version though). I think I'm going to ask Adobe to provide me with PRE 12 while this is not solved.

• 3. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

chti_gaby

I have looked at the Premiere Elements 13 tryout from Adobe on Windows 7 64 bit as well as Windows 8.1 64 without any issues. The install was from the typical online download from Adobe.

Just what do you have on your computer now - the tryout of Premiere Elements 12 and 13 or purchased versions of these products?

Are you saying that whether tryout or purchased Premiere Elements 12/12.1 was working on your computer whereas version 13 was not.

As a reference point, Premiere Elements 13 was downloaded and installed to a Windows 7 64 bit computer with several other versions of

Premiere Elements and none of the programs were negatively affected.

If you were going to look to remove the Premiere Elements 13 settings file, I would not consider the shortcut and go direct...

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

I have few more ideas but I will wait to see the results from the above first.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
                chti_gaby Level 1

Thanks for your answer.

I tried Premiere Elements 12 on my computer (trial version) and it worked perfect. I removed it now to avoid any potential interaction with Premiere Elements 13.

I purchased Premiere Elements 13 without trying the trial version (I thought that as the previous version was working well, there should have been no problem with the new one....).

So I now have only the purchased version of Premiere Elements 13 on my computer. I have also tried to install the trial version but I have exactly the same bug.

I have tried the procedure you describe but it has no effect on my case. In fact I do have access to the first screen giving the choice between Organizer & Video Editor. This is when I click on Editor that it crashes without telling much more than "Adobe Premiere Elements has stopped working". At that stage I remember it is supposed to download some additional content when you open it for the very first time. It is maybe linked to that.

I thought about disk space limitations but this is not that. I tried the 32 bit version but I can't install it. I also tried another source for the download, no change. I have the administrator rights on my account, but as it is a company computer I don't have 100% of the rights. However I've never had any problem with any software before.

I have found a file called "debug database" that does not say much more:

AddUTCTimestampToTracesfalsefalse
                CreateLogFilesThatDoNotExistfalsefalse
                LogTimeInTickstruetrue

Any other idea to suggest?

Many thanks for your help

• 5. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
                  chti_gaby Level 1

Interestingly I was able to download again Adobe Premiere Elements 12 trial version. Now it has exactly the same bug as PRE 13, whereas previously it was working perfect.

So this is not linked to the new version of Premiere Elements. What I can't know is whether the PRE 12 version I used to have would still work today.

Strange....

• 6. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

chti_gaby

Thanks for your follow ups.

Let us focus on Premiere Elements 13 Windows 7 64 bit computer.

Let go through the usual drill questions...

a. Does problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled? Is your antivirus program McAfee?

b. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and have also selected and applied Run

As Administrator to the desktop icon of the program?

c. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer.

d. Can you open the program using the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file instead of the Adobe Premiere Elements 13.exe?

See Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 13\

Please consider

a. Go to Control Panel/Programs and assure that Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and 13 are not showing as installed programs.

If they are, uninstall.

b. Do a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry parts) to get rid of any leftovers from incomplete installs or uninstalls.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

c. Reinstall Premiere Elements 13 with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

The following is what was helpful for me when I ran into problems with Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 installs.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Premiere Elements 12 Editor Will Not Open

Depending on how the troubleshooting is progressing, you may want to consider exploring these possibilities.

We could get into video card/graphics card, etc, but your comments on your initial experience with the Premiere Elements 12 tryout

make me hesitate on exploring that aspect of the troubleshooting now.

Please review the above and then we can decide on the next course of action.

Contacting Adobe via its Adobe Chat is a possibility since you have a purchased version of the current version (13), but let us see

what we can do.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
                      chti_gaby Level 1

Thanks again for your help!

a. My antivirus is McAfee but unfortunately I can't close it (same for the firewall) - company pc. Coincidence or not, a HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) update was recently installed. This is maybe the cause of the problem. I also have recently updated the Flash Player, but I have removed it - no change.

b. I've tried Run as Administrator and I have an administrator account (not with all priveleges as this is a company computer)

c. No pb with Quick Time

d. When I try "Adobe Premiere Elements 13.exe", I have the same selection window as before, where I can choose Organizer or Video Editor. If I try "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe", I have apparently a direct access to the video editor, it says "Initializing..." and then this is again the same crash.

I have tried to clean up and reinstall as suggested, no change.

I have not tried the procedure you refer to as for me this is not a problem with the activation of the software.

I have not contacted the support chat yet. What might save me is that I've just purchased a brand new (and personnal) computer on which I hope there will be no problem.

Don't you think the program is trying to download some content at the initialization stage and that my antivirus/firewall update might now block it?

• 8. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

chti_gaby

Thanks for the update.

McAfee has a serious problems with Premiere Elements, especially of late.

Do you have IT staff at work who can work through security issues or have you or it work with McAfee on the security

settings. If that is possible, I would uninstall, do a free ccleaner run through to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls and reinstalls, and then

reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

The other part of the matter may be the requirement for Premiere Elements to be run on a computer with Administrator Privileges. That is

important for Premiere Elements as well as QuickTime which is a requirement for Premiere Elements.

Please review and consider. I will supply more details as per your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...definitely look at the HIPS software as a factor (prime or just contributory).

• 9. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
                          Vinay Dwivedi Adobe Employee

Hi chti_gaby,

Sorry for the inconvenience. I have sent you a private message. Please check and reply.

Thanks.

Vinay

• 10. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
                            chti_gaby Level 1

Here are some news about this subject:

I bought a brand new PC with Windows 8, no problem for the installation with the same installation file as for my professionnal PC.

About the administrator privileges, it is quite surprising that PE 12 used to work fine on my PC whereas now neither PE13 nor PE12 (when I reinstall it) works. I am definitely thining about a conflict with the antivirus on my professionnal PC, about which I can't do much....

• 11. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

chti_gaby

Thanks for the update.

To clarify, is the new PC completely independent of your company network and security whereas the professional PC to which you refer is governed by company security?

A security update or updates on your company computer may be been at the core of the 13 and 12 problems now versus and earlier time as you suggest?

ATR

• 12. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
                                chti_gaby Level 1

Yes this is correct, by new PC is completely independent from my company network & security.

It is protected by Mcafee like my company PC, but I guess the level of protection is different.

Might be the reason.....or not, Adobe is working on my problem, let's see....

• 13. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

chti_gaby

Great news. But watch out for those McAfee updates.

But, thinking positive thoughts moving forward. Wonderful to learn that Adobe is working on your problem.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 14. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
                                    chti_gaby Level 1

I have realised this morning that Mcafee HIPS blocks some activities of the Akamai client that I think is used by Adobe.

Might be related....

• 15. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
                                      chti_gaby Level 1

The Bonjour service is also blocked by McAfee HIPS. Apparently it is also used by Adobe. I am sure all this does not help....

Would have been interesting to be able to de-activate it, but I can't...

• 16. Re: Can't start Adobe Premiere Elements 13 video editor.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

chti_gaby

Firewall(s) enabled are known issues with the Akamai Download Assistant or Adobe Application Manager.

As I understand it, McAfee, antivirus,  also controls the firewall(s).

The antivirus programs with which I have dealt allow for separate control of the antivirus and firewall(s).

Not sure if there are any ways to control McAfee permissions at a computer home user level.

ATR