6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2014 2:15 PM by A.T. Romano

Why does my Gopro black 3+ video look so bad on PRE11 while editing & after DVD creation playback.

johng1234321

Well let start with.  When I do a project with video from my Samsung S4 phone or my IPhone 5 or my Canon T4i  looks great on computer screen and when I play back a burned DVD or AVHCD.  I just directly import from file on my hard drive.  My Samsung is at 1920x1040 30fps mp4 .  I believe the IPhone is a 1920x1080 MOV format.

It is the GoPro video that  PRE11 has a problem with.  I record at 1920x1080 30fps.  Nothing special.

First the computer screen.  On both of my computers when I right click on the playback screen.

Quality Highest; Magnification Fit; Safe Margin unchecked; Playback External device None; Aspect Hardware; Desktop Audio; 24Progresive Conversion Interlaced 2332; Export External Device DV 29.97 720; Checked Disable video output.

As for Publish.  DVD I use preset NTSC widescreen dvd; AVCHD h264 1920x1080I ntsc.

Any other ideas why the GoPro video looks bad on computer screen & on dvd on hd tv.

Some say you first must convert GoPro mp4 to AVI then import.  That seems crazy.  Why can Samsung mp4 work great and GoPro mp4 not.

It seems that Adobe has not correctly written code for MP4 from on of the largest camcorder producers.

• 1. Re: Why does my Gopro black 3+ video look so bad on PRE11 while editing & after DVD creation playback.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

john1234321

Thank you for starting your own new thread on your Premiere Elements workflow after initially posting in the thread of another.

Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Latest Developments

For your convenience, this is a copy of my reply to you in that thread which was left unanswered

johng1234321

Thank you for the reply. What I was looking for mostly are the properties of the 1920 x 1080p30 GoPro3+ Black footage that you are trying to use in

Premiere Elements 11. Are you working with the H.264.mp4 format or are you working with a Cineform.avi format? If it is the H.264.mp4 format, I am not seeing why you should be doing anything else but importing the H.264.mp4 into Premiere Elements 11 using the project preset set by you manually or the project automatically. Best you set the project preset manually to assure the correct project preset in this case.

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

There are times when the project does not interpret correctly the properties of the video when it is the first file dragged to the Timeline. When it does not do it correctly, it does not give you the closest possible fit between project preset and properties of source media, instead it gives you its default 1080i which is not appropriate for your 1080p footage.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

To get a better perspective on your comparison between your cell phone and GoPro results....are you saying that you can take the videos from the cell phones and import them into Premiere Elements 11 without issue, audio out of sync or other? Are you converting the cell phone video at any time - to change a variable to constant frame size or other?

Depending on your details, I would offer to look at a sample of your specific H.264.mp4 file for which you cannot get a decent DVD-VIDEO on DVD or AVCHD format on DVD disc. If you opt to do this, you might consider sending the sample via a Dropbox link posted in this thread. I am concerned that your GoPro issue on Premiere Elements 11 is going to get lost in this thread on a different topic. If we do not gain ground on the issue soon, please consider starting a new thread on your issue so that the details and especially the results will be found more easily by those users seeking answers for the type of problem that you describe.

The answers will be in the details.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

ATR

• 2. Re: Why does my Gopro black 3+ video look so bad on PRE11 while editing & after DVD creation playback.
            johng1234321 Level 1

ATR.

Well I finished and uploaded the video to YouTube.  2014 Paiute Trail Jamboree - YouTube  I uploaded it in 1920x1080 HD quality.  If you watch it at 1080 HD the 16 thru 35 second (for example) and look at the trees you will see the blotch pixilation.

I uploaded the 3 original clips to drop box for comparison.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8os5jyhix1kjy1/GOPR0232.MP4?dl=0

Dropbox - GOPR0231.MP4

Dropbox - GOPR0233.MP4

As for cellphone video.  It comes out great, so I did not up load that.

Edited update; I went to drop box link above from another computer.  I just viewed it and it looks as bad as my finished job.  I went back to the  original file at it played great.  So you may need to download instead of viewing to get true original quality.

• 3. Re: Why does my Gopro black 3+ video look so bad on PRE11 while editing & after DVD creation playback.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

johng1234321

I am getting to your thread late so I will reply in the morning. By leaving you this message, I am moving your thread upward so that I can find it easier in the morning.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why does my Gopro black 3+ video look so bad on PRE11 while editing & after DVD creation playback.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

john1234321

The following are my results from looking at your GoPro3+ video (231, 232, 233) in Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit.

For each of the files, I am not seeing any difference between the playback quality of the originals versus the playback of the Premiere Elements exports.

In each case the Premiere Elements 11 project preset was manually set to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

Two different exports were looked at

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

Then under the Advanced Button of that preset, I made the changes reflected in the

following screenshot

MP4232Today.JPG

Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality

Then under the Advanced Button of that preset, I made the changes reflected in the

following screenshot

MPEG2Now.JPG

The bitrates of the actual exports - AVCHD.mp4 was 32.0 Mbps, MPEG2.mpg was 36.1 Mbps, and the original GoPro 232 about 20.0 Mbps.

What I was seeing in the playback of the originals and the exports were not pixelated but were not crystal clear. I might attribute that to

the lighting conditions during the video recording. Do you see your pixelation for the GoPro, even in the better lit recording sessions?

When I took the videos to YouTube (private), I had the pixelation that you described (sort of an unclear blur for bushes and such). YouTube

was automatically setting viewing for 360p or 480p. When I reset the viewing to HD 1080p, the "pixelation" disappeared. So, no problems with the HD video set for HD viewing once the file was downloaded completely for viewing. I looked at this with the Firefox or Chrome browser as default browser.

Please review and consider. Please let me know if you confirm my results with those same files and same Premiere Elements settings in your computer environment.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...My intent with the MPEG2.mpg was to come down on the bitrate but I did not get to that.

• 5. Re: Why does my Gopro black 3+ video look so bad on PRE11 while editing & after DVD creation playback.
                  johng1234321 Level 1

Well I do not know how to responded.

My PRE11 shows on screen & on published DVD a glaring problem.  My computer is a HP DV7 64bit with intel I7.

I have since deleted the archived the project.  Since the quality was so bad, why keep it.

The only thing I can think of is that my PRE11 takes a bad frame first when it tries to convert the GoPro video.  I have looked on many video forums that say Adobe PRE CAN NOT handle GoPro video with out FIRST converting it to a AVI format.  They say that GoPro uses an advanced mp4 high compression.  Most say PRE fails to handle their format.

If I use PRE in the future on GoPro video, I will check to confirm your recommendation for export.  But that does not address playback jitters.

I think ATR that PRE can not handle GoPro MP4 format.   Maybe in future version PRE can handle it.

• 6. Re: Why does my Gopro black 3+ video look so bad on PRE11 while editing & after DVD creation playback.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

johng1234321

Thank you for the reply.

The results that I reported in post 4 for your video samples were found to be repeatable. Most importantly, the original which never saw Premiere Elements had the same playback quality as the import of it into Premiere Elements. I repeated the tests several times. I did Full Screen and regular viewing. I think for us to come closer on this you might consider:

a. looking at and comparing import and export quality in Premiere Elements 11.

b. doing whatever you believe to be the required GoPro conversion to get the footage to work in video editors and comparing the converted and not converted file in Premiere Elements 11.

c. downloading and installing the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 13 to determine if versions 11 and 13 results are identical for your GoPro footage. I see not difference in this matter, version 11 vs 13.

In the above, "b" might be the best with which to start. Please let me know what conversion method you follow, and I will try to follow it.

I did not see playback jitters. Pixelation during previewing was not seen. And, the video before any edits presented with no colored line indicating that I was seeing the best possible preview.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....I had some GoPro samples (not sure which model, would have to look that up) 1280 x 960 and 4096 x 2160, and they did well in Premiere Elements 11 (both AVCHD.mp4).