9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2007 7:53 AM by Newsgroup_User

What should i use fireworks for?

Clandestinex337 Level 1
      Ok, so im thinking of upgrading my current Adobe package with CS2 to the new CS3 and i was looking at the Webdesign premuim. And it comes with Fireworks. I do a lot of webdesign and I was wondering what exactly would i use fireworks for?

What does it do better than using plain ol' Photoshop for making templates and stuff? ect...

Thanks
        • 1. Re: What should i use fireworks for?
          Level 7
          It is a ton better than Photoshop for doing Web site layouts and
          prototypes. If you do Web Design then you are doing yourself a huge
          favor by getting Fireworks CS3.

Fireworks is compatible with Photoshop so you can easily port over any
          graphics ypu've done. Fireworks vectors tools are simple to use and make
          mocking up web pages very easy and fast.

oyce J. Evans Erb
          http://www.JoyceJEvans.com
          http://www.IdeaDesignWebsites.com

Web Page in a Day! CD training now available at http://www.joycejevans.com

Clandestinex337 wrote:
          > Ok, so im thinking of upgrading my current Adobe package with CS2 to the new
          > CS3 and i was looking at the Webdesign premuim. And it comes with Fireworks. I
          > do a lot of webdesign and I was wondering what exactly would i use fireworks
          > for?
          >
          > What does it do better than using plain ol' Photoshop for making templates and
          > stuff? ect...
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          • 2. Re: What should i use fireworks for?
            Level 7
            Clandestinex337 wrote:
            > CS3 and i was looking at the Webdesign premuim. And it comes with Fireworks. I
            > for?
            >
            > What does it do better than using plain ol' Photoshop for making templates and
            > stuff? ect...
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            This article should sum things up..........

http://www.pixelyzed.com/pixelforge/whychoosefireworks/

SKB
            • 3. Re: What should i use fireworks for?
              Level 7
              On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 22:11:33 +0400, Clandestinex337
              <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Ok, so im thinking of upgrading my current Adobe package with CS2 to the
              > new
              > CS3 and i was looking at the Webdesign premuim. And it comes with
              > Fireworks. I
              > do a lot of webdesign and I was wondering what exactly would i use
              > fireworks
              > for?

Well, this is just my personal opinion, nothing more that that. While
              there is no match for Photoshop when it comes to professional print
              output, I think that FW is still a bit easier to deal with than
              Photoshop+ImageReady combo, then it comes to Web graphics. Excellent set
              of the vector tools, great optimizing capabilities for final Web output...
              many other things... I really like it. But then again, this is my humble
              IMHO :-)

--
              Ilya Razmanov
              http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
              • 4. Re: What should i use fireworks for?
                Level 7
                Clandestinex337 wrote:
                > for?
                >
                > stuff? ect...
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                You'd use it to free up a lot of time :-)

For site prototyping, I don't think it can be beat in terms of ease of
                use and speed. At least that's how I find it.

There have been a ton of new features added in this version that more
                tightly integrate FW with Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash as well as
                specialized rapid prototyping features you won't see in Photoshop like
                multiple pages, rich media symbols, intelligent scaling for bitmaps and
                vectors, and workflow features such as integration with Bridge CS3.

Check out the information of FW CS3 on Adobe's site. We've also got
                some free sneak peak content over at CMX, focused on the new release.

--
                Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                Extending Knowledge, Daily
                http://www.communityMX.com/
                CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                ---
                .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                • 5. Re: What should i use fireworks for?
                  Level 1
                  Clandestinex337,

There is signficant difference between the Fireworks 8 and Photoshop in terms of application feature and functionality. Fireworks 8 is specifically designed for web graphic and web photos while Photoshop is specifically designed for high-end professional print and if you will also for professional photographers to edit high quality photo images.

Additionally, like others have said about Fireworks have built-in vector-based and bitmapped-based, while Photoshop is mainly bitmapped-based application. That is a major difference between Fireworks and Photoshop in that respect.

If you understand, have some hands-on experience with Fireworks and/or Photoshop, you will know the difference and undeerstand the main or primary purpose of those two applications -- whichever that fits right into your needs, your requirement and things like that.

If you aim for webdesign projects and if you work a lot of image files aiming for web graphic and web photos, then Fireworks is for you.

I don't know if you have Fireworks or Photoshop installed on your machine. If you do not have those two, perhaps that you might want to test-drive those two for 30 days and let the experience and hands-on tell the story and it speaks for itself.

quote:

Originally posted by: Clandestinex337
                  Ok, so im thinking of upgrading my current Adobe package with CS2 to the new CS3 and i was looking at the Webdesign premuim. And it comes with Fireworks. I do a lot of webdesign and I was wondering what exactly would i use fireworks for?

What does it do better than using plain ol' Photoshop for making templates and stuff? ect...

Thanks

• 6. Re: What should i use fireworks for?
                    solotasq Level 1
                    I agree with the others on Fireworks' ease of use in creating web graphics that are both functional and attractive. I used to use ImageReady in Photoshop for that, and I can totally understand why they are discontinuing its inclusion in CS3. You can create buttons with rollover states right on your canvas (instead of having to use a pallette), and even complex/disjoint rollovers are a breeze with a very intuitive behaviors interface. From what I've seen from the Beta of Photoshop CS3, there are no tools that enable you to assign javascripts or behaviors to button objects, or assign rollover states, and the ability to work with the web layer in Fireworks has become indispensible when more slices come into play. You can do a lot of that functional stuff in Dreamweaver, but Fireworks is better for editing functional graphic content on the fly. Of course now, with new integration between Photoshop and Dreamweaver that may change, we just don't know how much yet ....
                    • 7. Re: What should i use fireworks for?
                      Level 1
                      Hi solotasq,

Perhaps that you are right. Only time will tell and I believe that it speaks for itself. In addition to that, it is very important for those who use Photoshop, Fireworks and Dreamweaver -- on the importance of functionality, and the primary purpose of those applications and what they cannot do with certain tasks involved.

Cheers, Brian

quote:

Originally posted by: solotasq
                      ...Of course now, with new integration between Photoshop and Dreamweaver that may change, we just don't know how much yet ....

• 8. Re: What should i use fireworks for?
                        Tazmun Level 1
                        I have been using photoshop and imageready for quite a while and as I'm used to it find anything less aggravating. I previously used Golive for most of my web design, but since Golive is most likely being phased out I have to transition back to dreamweaver. Thus I'm now playing with Fireworks for the first time looking for some of the same compatibility I enjoyed with Photoshop and Imageready. The loss of Indesign packages will cause tears for a long time though. I am finding the export to library function with fireworks rather interesting. I really miss my layer comps though :(. I have realised I can get it back somewhat with frames however. I think the end of Imageready though signals Adobe is now turning over all web design to fireworks so I might as well make the best of it. I pray the new fireworks CS3 will inherit some of Imageready's traits though.
                        • 9. Re: What should i use fireworks for?
                          Level 7
                          Tazmun wrote:
                          > I have been using photoshop and imageready for quite a while and as I'm used to
                          > it find anything less aggravating. I previously used Golive for most of my web
                          > design, but since Golive is most likely being phased out I have to transition
                          > back to dreamweaver. Thus I'm now playing with Fireworks for the first time
                          > looking for some of the same compatibility I enjoyed with Photoshop and
                          > Imageready. The loss of Indesign packages will cause tears for a long time
                          > though. I am finding the export to library function with fireworks rather
                          > interesting. I really miss my layer comps though :(. I have realised I can get
                          > it back somewhat with frames however. I think the end of Imageready though
                          > signals Adobe is now turning over all web design to fireworks so I might as
                          > well make the best of it. I pray the new fireworks CS3 will inherit some of
                          > Imageready's traits though.
                          >

Fireworks CS3 has a Master Page functionality as well as pages which
                          work great for prototyping.
                          --
                          Joyce J. Evans Erb *Adobe Community Expert*
                          http://www.JoyceJEvans.com
                          http://www.IdeaDesignWebsites.com

Web Page in a Day! CD training now available at http://www.joycejevans.com