5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2007 10:02 AM by Newsgroup_User

Copy protection for CF Websites

Karolus Level 1
      My website has been built in CF5 and I display proprietary information to my clients, but I don't want that information copied. Is there some way of preventing the copying of the information to my competitors? Is there software for this?
        • 1. Re: Copy protection for CF Websites
          insuractive Level 3
          It depends on what you mean. Let me try to answer your question a couple of ways:

1) If you are talking about only displaying certain information to your clients and not to your competitors, you can create a password-protected section of your site to help secure your sensitive information.

2) If you worried about clients taking the information you provide them and using it for some other purpose (competitors, research, etc), then your best bet might be to present the data in some sort of format where you can control the Digital Rights Managment (DRM) associated with a document. I know you can do this with Adobe Acrobat. I think you can get pretty specific about what actions you can allow and restrict - for example, I think you can even set it up so that you can't print or email an acrobat file without proper authorization.

3) If you are worried about competitors stealing some nifty font-end DHTML widget or doodad, unfortunately there's not much you can do in this department. The are tools that allow you to obfuscate your javascript code, which makes it a little harder for the competition to recreate your interface, but it won't really stop a determined coder who knows what he/she is doing.

Sorry about the choose-your-own adventure style answer, but I wasn't too sure what exactly you meant. Why don't you pick a number and we'll see a little more about what exactly your problem is.
          • 2. Re: Copy protection for CF Websites
            Karolus Level 1
            Thank you, Michael, for your choices. I have content that I display on the screen; the content gives feedback to a person. I don't want a person to cut and paste the content. I have run across websites where I could not cut and paste the material for some reason. If I did view|source I was not able to cut and paste the material from the source page either. I wondered what software there is that I could use to adhieve this effect.
            • 3. Re: Copy protection for CF Websites
              insuractive Level 3
              I'm not that familiar with software that allows you to protect content in that way. Do you remember the sites that you remember experiencing that level of content protection?
              • 4. Re: Copy protection for CF Websites
                Level 7
                Karolus wrote:
                > Thank you, Michael, for your choices. I have content that I display on the
                > screen; the content gives feedback to a person. I don't want a person to cut
                > and paste the content. I have run across websites where I could not cut and
                > paste the material for some reason. If I did view|source I was not able to cut
                > and paste the material from the source page either. I wondered what software
                > there is that I could use to adhieve this effect.
                >

i think flash, with proper publishing settings, will let you do that...
                is there a tool to extract content from swf files which are published
                with "protect from import" setting? probably is...

--
                Azadi Saryev
                Sabai-dee.com
                Vientiane, Laos
                http://www.sabai-dee.com
                • 5. Re: Copy protection for CF Websites
                  Level 7
                  If you dont want it stolen, don't post it on the web. Nothing is safe.
                  Everything can be taken, even by something as simple as a screen print.