7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2014 9:42 AM by NRC13

How can I update Camera Raw in Photoshop CC 2014?

NRC13

I purchased and installed Creative Cloud Photography Plan two weeks ago.  I have Photoshop CC 2014.0.0 release.  The Camera Raw plug in is 8.0.0.137. The Creative Cloud Desktop app says that Photoshop CC (2014) is up to date.  The updates link in Photoshop>Help>updates is greyed out.  From the Adobe website it appears that the latest version of Camera Raw is 8.6.  Can anyone help with thoughts on why I have an earlier version and how to update to 8.6?

• 1. Re: How can I update Camera Raw in Photoshop CC 2014?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The update item needs to be not grayed out. 

What is the status of the other two items next to Updates…:  Sign Out/Sign In and Manage My Account?  Are those grayed out as well?  If Sign Out is active what happens if you Sign Out and then Sign In within PS?  It might take a few seconds or longer for PS to contact Adobe servers so that the Updates and other online items become active.  But if it takes longer than say a minute then something has likely blocked access to the Adobe servers from your computer.

Is there a firewall either on your computer or upstream on your network that could be blocking access to the Adobe update sites?

FYI, PS CC 2014.1.0 and ACR 8.6 are the current versions.

• 2. Re: How can I update Camera Raw in Photoshop CC 2014?
            NRC13 Level 1

Sign in/sign out and manage my account are both available and working.  Turning the Firewall off made no difference.  Upstream on the network is the standard box from the UK's main broadband provider so unlikely to be that. Odd that I downloaded and installed Photoshop just two weeks ago but did not get the latest versions.

• 3. Re: How can I update Camera Raw in Photoshop CC 2014?

The software isn’t still running in trial mode, somehow, is it?  Did Lightroom update to LR 5.6?

You might try doing the steps here to reset the local information about what is installed in case that is part of the problem, but until Updates works I’m not sure anything else will:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/aam-lists-removed-apps-date.html

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/unknown-server-error-launching-cc.html

You also might see if Help / Updates runs from within Lightroom.

You can find updates and install them manually from links near the bottom of this page’s content before the comments section:

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2014-direct-download-links.html

• 4. Re: How can I update Camera Raw in Photoshop CC 2014?
                NRC13 Level 1

Lightroom is OK at 5.6 and help>updates works.  There were problems a week ago with Photoshop saying I was still running the trial version but Adobe resolved those - or I thought they did.  It's a good point.  I will follow it up.

• 5. Re: How can I update Camera Raw in Photoshop CC 2014?

Are you running the standalone LR 5.6 that needs a serial number, or are you running the CC version of LR?

If you do Help / Updates in LR, and it says everything is up-to-date, are there checkmarks next to all the PS items so AAM checks for updates to those, too, or are PS updates disabled, in there?

I also forgot to mention that the latest CC Desktop app is:  1.8.0.428.  You can check the version in CC-App / Gear / Preferences / General / Account.

You might want to uninstall everything and run the run CC Cleaner as advised in Solution 4 of the first link of two that I included, above.

• 6. Re: How can I update Camera Raw in Photoshop CC 2014?
                    NRC13 Level 1

CC version of LR.

Have just spent four hours online with Adobe support who tried a lot of things but no success.  Software was uninstalled and reinstalled but to no avail.  ACR was updated to 8.6 but when Photoshop CC 2014 was reinstalled it went back to ACR 8.0.0.137.  They tried hard and do not give up, I will say that for them!   The problem has now been escalated by Adobe support to a higher level.

I have Creative Cloud 1.7.1.418 after it was reinstalled by Adobe support.

Thanks for your suggestions ssprengel.

• 7. Re: How can I update Camera Raw in Photoshop CC 2014?
                      NRC13 Level 1

It turned out that the problem was caused by an enterprise version of Acrobat Pro which was licensed by Adobe for my PC in connection with my work.  This conflicted with the software licensed under the Creative Cloud Photography plan and was blocking the updates.  I was prompted to go down this line of enquiry by this thread: 

https://forums.adobe.com/message/5664955

Removing Acrobat Pro did not solve the problem. It needed one of the Support Associates from Adobe to modify some of the files on the PC.  Now running fine and all up to date.