12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2014 3:40 AM by Peter Spier

layers

samgumshoe Level 1

is there a way to change from like a shape layer to text layer

• 1. Re: layers
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you asking about InDesign? Layers can hold any type of object.

• 2. Re: layers
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There's no such thing as either in InDesign. Are you sure you're in the

right forum?

• 3. Re: layers
              samgumshoe Level 1

I am in InDesign and i have some text on the shape layer not the text layer. I have tried to reproduce the text in the texts layer but when i put that into the design the text disappears

• 4. Re: layers
                samgumshoe Level 1

I have tried moving this new text layer to the front and it still will not show the text. That i why i asked if you could change from one layer to another

• 5. Re: layers
                  samgumshoe Level 1

can you see the conversation i was having with Bob Levine below

• 6. Re: layers

It sounds like maybe your layers have been named text and shape (you can name layers anything you like).

You can move objects from one layer to another by selecting them, then dragging the little colored square to the right of the layer name in the Layers panel to a new layer.

The real problem here, though, from your description, sounds like there is text wrap appled to an object that is pushing the text out of the frame. If you select the text frame and open the text frame options dialog you can check the box to ignore text wrap.

• 7. Re: layers
                      samgumshoe Level 1

No I’m not sure I am in the right forum. I’m new to this. But I have another question I created a new  text layer and when I out hat over my shape it doesn’t shoe the text what am I doing wrong

• 8. Re: layers
                        samgumshoe Level 1

I ma asking about InDesign

• 9. Re: layers
                          samgumshoe Level 1

I have it on the correct layer now and i have tried your suggestion about text wrap and it is still not showing

• 10. Re: layers
                            samgumshoe Level 1

I know there is a simple solution for all of this, but when I know nothing about InDesign I'm lost trying to make it right. I can’t figure out how to get it corrected. So far everything I have done has been from a video. Now I am trying to correct things by put things on the correct layer that I have created with a new text box with white lettering for placement into my work yet still the letters will not show I am really stumped.

• 11. Re: layers
                              samgumshoe Level 1

I know there is a simple solution for all of this, but when I know nothing about InDesign I'm lost trying to make it right. I can’t figure out how to get it corrected. So far everything I have done has been from a video. Now I am trying to correct things by put things on the correct layer that I have created with a new text box with white lettering for placement into my work yet still the letters will not show I am really stumped.

• 12. Re: layers

samgumshoe wrote:

I have created with a new text box with white lettering for placement into my work yet still the letters will not show

White (InDesign calls this [Paper]) letters would need to be in front of something else to show. Letters with the fill set to [None] will be invisible. If you select the text frame an choose Edit > Edit in Story Editor... do you see your text? Is it below a red line in the story editor?

A screen capture of you page, with frame edged visible, the text frame selected and the layers panel open would be very helpful.