7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2007 11:21 AM by MotionMaker

Some Feedback

Rothrock Level 5
      I've been playing with this for a little bit and am now ready for some feedback. Sorry – I haven't gotten around to controlling the sound yet. So you might want to set your speakers kinda low before going to the page.

www.saffronthread.com/WayangPage.html

The stage is a bit cobbled together and will be refined in the future. I'm mostly looking for feedback on the puppets. How do they work, what else do they need, could it be easier. Please try and keep suggestions within the genre of the traditional shadow puppet plays.

This is going to be part of a larger collection of educational pieces about shadow plays, so there will be a part to examine the colorful versions of the puppets up close. There will be more puppets and some photos of the whole set up.

Also how is performance and what kind of system are you on? Any input is greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Some Feedback
          MotionMaker Level 1
          Performance is instantaneous.

Dell OPTIPLEX GX270 Pentium 2.80 Ghx 1 meg
          • 2. Re: Some Feedback
            Rothrock Level 5
            Thanks. Did you play with the puppets at all? What did you think?
            • 3. Re: Some Feedback
              jl2000 Level 1
              Very cool! I even like the way the Help panel comes in and out. Performance was instantaneous on my Mac G5/T1/FF.
              The rotate worked great as did the 2 arms and the red dot removal. The fade in/out mechanism was a little too sensitive...it was hard to get them back to full opacity...but fun trying. I was not able to make them disappear completely. I think I ran out of "range" of the mask I was grabbing.

Very interesting. Is there more?

JL
              • 4. Re: Some Feedback
                injpix Level 3
                I did play with the puppets and was also narrating a story here in the office! Hehe. I didn’t notice any performance issues and I have Intel 2Ghz and 2GB of RAM using Flash Player 9 thru IE 7.0. I like it, but would think it would neat if you can change the depth (scale) of the puppets. I really like the atmosphere!

What was your inspiration?
                • 5. Re: Some Feedback
                  Rothrock Level 5
                  Yes there will be more puppets and some more information about the tradition of Shadow puppets. I just wanted to get a little feedback from the voices outside my head before I went too much further. :)

Traditionally a dalang (that is the puppeteer) will have hundreds of puppets and line them up (on his side of the screen) stuck in the trunk of a banana tree at the base of the screen. I won't have hundreds, but eventually I would like to get a good select of nobles, comics, and evils. I'm thinking that I might make something like the Mac dock with magnification to store them at the bottom. How does that grab folks?

As for bringing back to full opacity. I was thinking of adding a little target/circle for the "safe zone." It would only show up when space-dragging. Do you think that is a good idea?

I think scaling would be good too. What do you think, maybe a shift-drag? I'm trying to keep it pretty intuative and not cluttered with too many modifier keys. I know kids today can manage circle-square-jump-jump-backspace, but I'm a bit old school.

My original inspiration was that I wanted to learn about doing Inverse Kinematics in Flash and then I needed a purpose to put it to.

Thanks for the help and input.
                  • 6. Re: Some Feedback
                    kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    i played with your puppets. it was well-done but i can't say it held my attention. there just isn't anything interesting to do with the puppets, yet. i mean, if they could smack each other around it might be more fun.

and i noted no performance issues using an amd 2400+ (2ghz).

• 7. Re: Some Feedback
                      MotionMaker Level 1
                      Yes I did play with puppets. You could drag them and play with arms. No performance issue I could see.