1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 29, 2014 4:12 AM by dj_paige

I screwed up.

barton@montbleau.com

I installed a new internal hard drive and wanted to move My Lightroom catalog from the existing external hard drive to the new one.

After readin several methods on the forum, I decided to copy/paste My Lightroom in Windows Explorer.

After verifying all files and folders had been copied successfully, I ejected my externalhard drive.

Then I opened Lightroom and added a new folder...My Lightroom on the new drive.

LR saw the new internal hard drive folder My Lightroom...and it showed the external hard drive with a "?".

Then, instead of right clicking and hitting "Find Missing Folder"...I clicked Import photos on the new drive. Dumb.

All the photo's are there in LR...but I have none of the instructions, adjustments, flags, ratings...nothing. 

And now LR doesn't see the photo's on the old external hard drive.

Any idea how to re-establish all the work I've done?

• 1. Re: I screwed up.
          dj_paige Level 9

The easiest way to fix this mess:

If you have a backup of your catalog file done just before this operation, I would open that catalog and start working with that. Use these instructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

If you do not have a backup of your catalog file, then you are living dangerously, and you need to commit yourself to making regular and automated backups of your catalog file, no excuses.

But if no backup is available, then to fix the mess you would delete the newly imported photos from Lightroom but not from the hard disk (where did you read to import these photos anyway? that's completely the wrong thing to do). So, now that the newly improted photos are gone from your catalog, please follow these instructions to point Lightroom to your new photos: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders