29 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2014 10:28 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 won't open.

sergelroger

My Adobe Premiere Elements 12 won't open. It is stopping at "Loading ExporterQuickTimehost.bundle. How do I get it to open?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

sergelroger

Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue?

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 installed? Have you ever gotten to the point to install the

12.1 Update?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the computer with Premiere Elements 12? Are you running the

program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. And, important, does the problem exist with and without

the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

If you cannot open the Premiere Elements 12 Editor, can you open the Elements Organizer 12 that comes with it?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on your answers.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
            wiley0831

Hi I am having the same problem! I used it to create a video and then all of suddent it shut down and I could not open it up again. I uninstalled/reinstalled and I still only get the Loading screen and nothing else. I checked your suggestions and they are all up to date. I paid for this and now it is worthless!

Thx

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

wiley0831

Do not give up.

Let us explore some more.

Please confirm that your program is Premiere Elements 12 and let us know the computer operating system on which it is running.

Are your Premiere Elements shutting down related to the ExporterQuickTimehost.bundle error?

Pending an confirmation on the above, you may want to look at the suggestions in the following and determine if any apply to your situation

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Premiere Elements 12 Editor Will Not Open

We will be watching for your report.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                wiley0831 Level 1

Thx but easy to do when your frustrated here is the op system:

Dell/Intel R Xeon R CPU E5-1650 @ 3.20 ghz

32. gib ram

64 bit op system

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                  wiley0831 Level 1

Yes it is premiere elements 12

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

wiley0831

Thanks for the reply with additional details.

Is your Premiere Elements 12 specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit? Just want to rule out Windows Vista 64 bit.

Also, are you confirming the problem specifically related to

ExporterQuickTimehost.bundle error

Have you assured that the issue is present with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

Before you go through all below, please delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if that does not solve the problem, delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists....assuming you are using Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that you have Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

Success in overcoming this specific error message has been reported by one by

Uninstalling the latest version of QuickTime 7.7.5 and installing QuickTime 7.6

Old and New Version of Quicktime Player Download - OldApps.com

But, I wonder what would have been the outcome if QuickTime 7.7.5 were just uninstalled and reinstalled.

I know that you did the Premiere Elements 12 uninstall/reinstall, but consider...

1. Uninstall of both Premiere Elements 12 and QuickTime (latest version)

2. Do free ccleaner run through to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls and reinstalls

CCleaner - Download

3. Make sure that you are running the computer from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

4. Reinstall QuickTIme and Premiere Elements with the antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Please review and consider. Your type of issue is not restricted to just Premiere Elements 12/12.1. Reports of its

happening can be seen in other versions of Premiere Elements and in other Adobe products.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                      wiley0831 Level 1

windows 7 enterprise. I also did the deletetion of the folders find that earlier. Also mcafee is disabled. When i click on Adobe I get initializing

adobeimage.jpg

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                        wiley0831 Level 1

I am also running adobe premiere pro cs6 and I don't have an issue with that

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

wiley0831

Thanks for the additional information.

Are you saying that you never get to Exporter QuickTimehost bundle error and are stopped at the very beginning by "Initializing Application"?

Are you in a home computer type environment or in a company computer environment? Here I am thinking about permissions aspects of this

beyond your control. However, the McAffe program which apparently controls the antivirus and firewall(s) has been highly problematic for Premiere Elements of late.

Nonetheless...are you confirming that you have tried the following and that none has resolved the problem (please refer back to post 6)

1. Deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists.

2. Followed by, if "1" did not work....

1. Uninstall of both Premiere Elements 12 and QuickTime (latest version)

2. Do free ccleaner run through to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls and reinstalls

CCleaner - Download

3. Make sure that you are running the computer from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

4. Reinstall QuickTIme and Premiere Elements with the antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Depending on your report, other factors that may be affecting Premiere Elements but not Premiere Pro CS6 for some reason...

a. Video card/graphics card, driver version, and number of video cards/graphics card that the computer uses

b. User Account...often a last troubleshooting stop is creating a new User Account with Administrative Privileges and installing and

trying to run Premiere Elements there.

I am not sure if Adobe Chat would help you in this matter since you do not have the latest version of the program. But, you could try.

I will post an Adobe Chat link that you could try if nothing else works.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                            PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi,

Are you by any chance running Premiere Elements 12 in a network that has access restrictions?

Could you try downloading, installing and launching the trial version of Premiere Elements 13 on the same machine? 

Thanks,

Premiere Elements team

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                              wiley0831 Level 1

IF I do that and it works do I have to pay for it since I can't use 12? I am downloading it now!

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

wiley0831

It seems like both PRE_help and I asked about the following at the same time, with me just hitting the Add Reply button first

I wrote

Are you in a home computer type environment or in a company computer environment? Here I am thinking about permissions aspects of this

beyond your control.

PRE_help wrote

Are you by any chance running Premiere Elements 12 in a network that has access restrictions?

The "it worked before but not now" rather than "it never worked before" caused me not to ask you to look at other version at this time.

What is your answer to home computer versus company network question?

ATR

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                  wiley0831 Level 1

its a work computer no restrictions! this program worked for me and I was able to do a video with it so there were no restrictions then

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                    wiley0831 Level 1

ok so I click on 13 and it is downloading 12! ugh!! I need to restart my computer!! ugh Will be back on when done!

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                      wiley0831 Level 1

Downloading trial version now!

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

wiley0831

• its a work computer no restrictions! this program worked for me and I was able to do a video with it so there were no restrictions then

Could there be a possibility that the IT people wrote in special permissions for the Premiere Pro CS6? I suspect that especially in your computer environment which has McAfee as the antivirus and with McAfee controlling the firewall(s). There may also be other protection from additional software on that company computer assumed on a network.

But, let us see how the Premiere Elements 13 download and install goes.

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                          wiley0831 Level 1

ok getting frustrated now it wants a serial number i downloaded a trial, i thought!

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                            wiley0831 Level 1

nevermind that was my fault did not do trial! Sorry!

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

wiley0831

Thanks for the updates.

Is it possible for you to be doing the download and install of Premiere Elements 13 with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

Whichever way is possible, just let us know that detail as part of your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                                wiley0831 Level 1

Won't open really Adobe! This is crazy! I'm done! Thx for your help!

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

wiley0831

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news was not better and that you could have opened Premiere Elements 13 on your company computer.

Are you part of the IT Staff at your company? If not, any chance of a consult with one of your IT Staff people to determine if he/she could overcome

what I suspect are company security issues related specifically to Premiere Elements download and install.

Right now, you may want to be finished with the whole matter. But, if you ever decide to revisit the use of Premiere Elements 12 or 13 on your computer, please let us know. PRE_help is Adobe Staff (I am not) and he/she may have some undocumented solutions that he/she could share.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                                    Mitch W Adobe Employee

Premiere Elements will freeze on ExporterQuicktimeBundle if it's having troubles loading Quicktime or Quicktime codecs.

First, make sure you have Quicktime installed. It doesn't come with Windows. You have to download it from Apple at www.apple.com/quicktime/download

Chances are that you DO have Quicktime already installed, but there's a codec that is causing some trouble for Premiere Elements. Uninstall Quicktime and then navigate to C:\Program Files (x86) and delete the Quicktime folder and any remaining contents after uninstalling it. Now download and reinstall Quicktime.

Usually this will resolve the problem.

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Mitch W

sergelroger has yet to respond in his/her thread after originating it. Hope your post motivates that ID to return to this thread which is essentially 98% problem of another user who troubles start with "Initializing Application" rather than Exporter QuickTimehost bundle".

In the case of sergelroger....

Do you believe that the manual deletion of the QuickTime Folder that you have pointed to is the key to uninstall/      /reinstall of QuickTime as a viable fix for the "Exporter QuickTimehost bundle" situation? Have any of your studies indicated that a suitable substitution for the manual deletion might be a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) after the uninstall and before the reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

In the case of wiley0831 whose posts have predominated....

Do you see any other interpretation other than a security issue in a company environment?

ATR

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                                        Mitch W Adobe Employee

I'll confess that my Premiere Elements troubleshooting skills aren't as good as my Premiere Pro troubleshooting skills. Both apps once started out on the same code base, but have long since diverged.

"Initializing application" freeze can be related to several things. In this instance, yes, Quicktime is definitely a good place to start. Uninstall Quicktime then delete any vestiges before reinstalling. Often 3rd party codecs which weren't part of the original QT install will be left behind after uninstalling. Deleting any remaining folders will resolve that.

Premiere Elements will also use DirectShow and AVI codecs. If you've recently installed any codec packs, uninstall them. They're usually more trouble than they're worth. (They should be listed under Programs and Features in the Control Panel).

Trash the preferences if you haven't already done so. A bad prefs file can really mess things up.

If you're still having troubles after doing the above, find out if the issue is related to your user account. Create and login with a new Admin account and then launch the app to see if the issue still occurs. If it doesn't, the issue is with the user account (typically permissions issue of some sort, but can be other user settings as well).

Hope something in here helps!

MW

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mitch W

Thanks for the reply.

We will be watching for sergelroger's and wiley0831's follow ups to determine the rest of the story.

Any undocumented Premiere Elements troubleshooting schemes or a reminder of documented ones will always be welcomed from Adobe Staff/PRE_help

to help get the Premiere Elements user moving forward in his/her Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                                            sergelroger Level 1

My apologies for not responding. While I have been doing consumer video editing since the days of the original Gold Disc, I confess my technical knowledge falls far short of many on this forum. I am also not certain when someone from Adobe is actually responding, and when the response comes from just a helpful participant. The opening problem actually cleared up on its own. But I appreciate now having this wealth of useful guidance for dealing with it in the future. And if my forum etiquette is lacking, I do apologize for oversight.

• 27. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

sergelroger

Many thanks for the follow up.

Essentially the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum is a user to user forum. That being said, around the time of a new version or at other lesser defined times, an Adobe presence appears with IDs identifying themselves as Staff or PRE_help, and then will disappear. I am not affiliated with Adobe in anyway. Just a user of the programs with an overactive troubleshooting gene.

It was great to learn that your problem resolved on its own. The unresolved whys are troublesome. But, the end "resolved" is welcomed.

We would be glad for the opportunity to be of assistance if you have further questions on your workflow, accompanying the questions with details of the situation.

Best wishes

ATR

• 28. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                                                sergelroger Level 1

That is very kind of you to take the time.

My next problem is having shot several years ago video in Hawaii, that was shot on a Sony Handycam on mini digital tapes, and transferred to DVR. When I put in the DVR disc into the MacBook., PreEle12 doesn't recognize the camera is connected to the computer. When I input the video from the Handycam into iMovie, PreEle12 sees lots of my files in iMovie, but doesn't show the file of the library I put it in. And I assume PreEle12 can't get the video from the DVR player that shows the video in the MacBook. So kind of stumped. I can get the video into iMovie. That seems most promising for getting the video into the editor, but it isn't showing the files in iMovie. 

• 29. Re: Premiere Elements 12 won't open.
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

sergelroger

Thanks for the reply.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user who tries to navigate the common ground considerations between Premiere Elements Windows and Mac.

That being said, any chance that you have run into a hidden files issue on your Mac computer. Not sure if it is too much of a stretch, but please see

Anne's thread from last night.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1592032

Thanks.

ATR

Add On, I will think about this some more.