25 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2014 9:21 PM by A.T. Romano

why is audio missing from movie

pmshrdn736

why is audio missing from movie

• 1. Re: why is audio missing from movie
          A.T. Romano Level 7

pmshrdn736

You are not presenting enough information for us to help you.

1. What version of Premiere Elements are you using, and on what computer operating system is it running?

2. When does the audio go missing - when you import the file to the Timeline or after you export the file to the computer hard drive or burn to disc?

If the audio goes missing in the export file, then please detail your export choice and settings.

3. What are the properties of the source media that you are importing into the project, and what is the project preset that you or the project has set to

match the properties of the source media?

There are a lot more questions, but your answers to the above will help us to customize a troubleshooting plan to resolve your Premiere Elements issue.

ATR

• 2. Re: why is audio missing from movie
            pmshrdn736 Level 1

I'm using Premiere Elements 12 on Windows Vista 64 OS.  If I click on the clip and preview, the sound lasts for about 30 seconds.  When placed on the timeline there is no sound.  As far as the properties of the source media or project preset, I haven't a clue.

• 3. Re: why is audio missing from movie
              A.T. Romano Level 7

pmshrdn736

Thanks for the reply.

The properties of your source media are a critical part of getting at the cause of your Premiere Elements audio problem.

Let us see if we can work together to gather the information that you have.

1. What is the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video?

2. After you get your video into Project Assets, if you right click the thumbnail for your video file and select Properties, what

are the properties shown?

3. You could download and install the free codec finding utility named GSpot and get the readout from it for Audio Codec and Status

as well as Video Name Codec Status.

4. What is the file extension for the file that you are importing?

Please review the above questions relating to source media, and answer as much as you can.

As for project preset....please go to the Expert workspace Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and tell us what you see for

Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the fields look grayed out.

Lots more questions and answers, but the answers for the above may be enough to plan the troubleshooting strategy.

We will be looking forward to your report and are here to help you with whatever is not clear to you in this task.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                pmshrdn736 Level 1

Thanks for your time and effort.  I'll try to get properties info, however since my original post this is what I've learned.  To start with, my friends were married in 1991.  Their video was on VHS tape and I promised to transfer from VHS to DVD for them, as I have done in the past for myself and another friend.  The DVD is made up of three separate clips.  For some reason the first clip plays no sound while the second & third clips do.  I used a Toshiba VHS & DVD machine to transfer the video.  The first clip sound plays in that machine and on the TV with a different DVD player.  Just not in the computer via Premiere Elements.  I'll be back with the properties info ASAP.  Thanks again.

• 5. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

pmshrdn736

Many thanks for staying with trying to resolve the Premiere Elements audio issue.

When you have time, could you include in your preparation for sending

1. What are the 3 separate clips on that DVD disc....are they named

VTS_01_01.VOB

and additional ones in that series like

VTS_01_02.VOB

and

VTS_01_03.VOB

or something else?

Do you still have that original disc with the 3 files?

We will be watching for further news when your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                    pmshrdn736 Level 1

Don't know if this is what you're looking for, Name  VTS_01_1.VOB,  Type of file  VOB,  Location  C\Users\Phil\Pictures\Adobe\Photos from Removable Disc,  Size  .99GB,  Attributes  RAC.

• 7. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                      pmshrdn736 Level 1

OK.  Clip #2 is VTS_01_02.VOB and clip #3 is VTS_01_03.VOB.

• 8. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                        pmshrdn736 Level 1

Still have the disc and have tried deleting videos from Adobe Premiere Elements then reloading numerous times with the same result.

• 9. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

pmshrdn736

Thanks for the follow ups.

If you have not already, this is what I would like you to explore since you still have the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on your Windows Vista 64 bit.

Insert the DVD disc into the burner tray. Open Premiere Elements 12/12.1 to its Expert workspace.

Set the project preset manually using File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In Change Settings, set the project preset to what applies

NTSC DV Standard

or

NTSC DV Widescreen

or

the PAL counterparts

In the new project dialog that you see just before you close out of that area, make sure to have a check mark next

to Force Selected Project Setting on this Project.

Back in the Premiere Elements Expert Workspace, use Add Media/DVD camera or computer drive/Video Importer.

In the Video Importer, select only the VTS_01_1.VOB for adding to the Timeline.

Also, when you open the DVD disc in the computer and look inside the VIDEO_TS Folder, what are the file sizes

for those video files named VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, and VTS_01_3.VOB......0.99 GB except for the third?

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                            pmshrdn736 Level 1

Followed your directions, downloading only VTS_01_1.VOB using Add Media/DVD camera or computer drive but still no audio.  Also changed settings as per directions.  File sizes are VTS_01_1.VOB = .99GB; VTS_01_2.VOB  = .99GB;  VTS_01_3.VOB = 47.9MB.

• 11. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

pmshrdn736

In the spirit of never give up, please consider....

1. Download and install the free video/audio properties readout program named MediaInfo.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

2. In MediaInfo (Tree View) compare all the audio properties of the three files.

Just be careful in your download and install options choices with Media Info in order to avoid unwanted carry alongs with the free MediaInfo program.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                                pmshrdn736 Level 1

Well, I've tried downloading mediainfo, still nothing.  It makes no sense.  Every thing was done the same way yet #1 has no audio while #s 2 & 3 do.  I thank you for all the time and effort you put into this but this is so disappointing.  Each time I've used the Adobe programs I've run into major hurtles.  When first purchased the problem was the Organizer wouldn't open.  Spent a good while with an IT going through every thing to figure out the problem.  Loaded my work copy of the DVD into Windows Media Player and all three parts ran fine.  I guess that pretty much takes the onus off the copy procedure and this computer.

• 13. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

pmshrdn736

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news was not better.

Are you saying that you saw the same MediaInfo audio properties for files 1, 2, and 3?

I do not know how much more time you can devote to this issue, but we could try one more approach to getting that VTS file off the disc in a seamlessly merged fashion. Have you ever dealt with the Command Prompt way of doing that?

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: DVD-VIDEO/Seamless VOB Ripping

We could invoke a Premiere Elements Windows Vista 64 bit conflict, but then why do two of the VOBs work but not the one? Premiere Elements 12/12.1 is only a 32 bit application on Windows Vista 64 bit with all the resource implications that go with that. Yet file 1 is the same size as file 2, so the temptation to invoke computer resources has no support.

What do you see in the comparison of the waveform of the audio on Audio Track 1 when file 1 is there versus files 2 and 3?

I will think about this some more and comment in the morning.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 14. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                                    pmshrdn736 Level 1

Followed instructions for use of Command Prompt, however this procedure disabled audio in all three clips.  Prior to that, when audio was off in just the first clip, there was no visible sign of audio on the audio 1 track until you got two the second clip.  Clip #1 and #2 showed the jagged lines on audio 1 track.

• 15. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

pmshrdn736

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news was not better.

Let me go back a little. Earlier you wrote

I used a Toshiba VHS & DVD machine to transfer the video.

How did you do that? How did you digitalize the analog VHS tape content, and how did you get to the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

Are you saying that you had a combo Toshiba VCR/DVD player recorder, and that the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc was the output from the

DVD recorder part that was fed the VHS tape content? Or, other?

At this point, you seem to have 3 files, 2 that you have no trouble with in Premiere Elements and one with audio trouble on in the project.

I am wondering if the way out of this is to convert the VTS_01_1.VOB to something else with the hope that this something else will have

sound.

This should not be necessary, but...for this one VOB with the sound issue....

a. copy it from the disc to the computer desktop.

b. on the computer desktop, rename the VOB file from VTS_01_1.VOB to VTS_01_1.mpeg

c, import that VTS_01_1.mpeg into the Premiere Elements project, using the project's Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets

from where you drag it to the Timeline Video Track 1/Audio Track 1.

d. sound or no sound from Audio 1 at play back of that Timeline content?

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                                        pmshrdn736 Level 1

I have a Toshiba DVD/Video Cassette Recorder which can be used to record from TV to tape or DVD and also allows you to record from VHS tape to DVD or DVD to VHS tape.  This is the same unit I've used in the past to create the digital recording from the analog tape.  This allows me to load the DVD into the computer and then to Premiere Elements.  The first two transfers went well.  No problem with the audio and this allowed me to use editing and DVD menu functions.  Tried to try your last suggestion but I'm afraid I just don't know enough to copy the VOB to the computer desktop.  I have been able to follow all the rest of your instructions, hope you can explain this one as well as the others.

• 17. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

pmshrdn736

Thanks for the follow ups and taking a look at the troubleshooting suggestions.

Place the DVD disc in the DVD burner tray. Explore the disc to find the VIDEO_TS Folder.

Open the VIDEO_TS Folder to find the VTS_01_1.VOB file.

Right click the VTS_01_1.VOB and, from the menu that appears, select and click Copy.

Then go to the computer desktop, right click a blank area, and, from the menu that appears, select and click Paste.

Then right click the VTS_01_1.VOB file on the computer desktop, and, from the menu that appears, select and click Rename.

Rename the file VTS_01_01.mpeg.

Open Premiere Elements and use Add Media/Files and Folders to try to import that file into the project (set with the correct

project preset) so that it plays back with its video and audio.

We will be watching for your results and thinking positive thoughts for success.

ATR

• 18. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                                            pmshrdn736 Level 1

Still no go.  Running VOB from the Desktop didn't help.

• 19. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

pmshrdn736

Please remind me if you have taken the VTS_01_1.VOB into Movie Maker 2012 and exported it from there as a .wmv or .mp4 file which you can import

into the Premiere Elements project and maintain video and audio.

It should work as the VOB or .mpeg version imported into Movie Maker.

If you have Windows Live Movie Maker 2011, the same should work, but only a .wmv is offered.

I am thinking .wmv for file size considerations for the converted end product.

ATR

• 20. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                                                pmshrdn736 Level 1

Not aware of the year but I have loaded the project into Windows DVD Maker and it ran fine.  The three separate clips all had audio.  The problem there is when trying to burn the copy the program says the file is too large.  Before starting to burn the DVD the program says it will hold 150 minutes but when you click burn the third clip is marked Won't Fit.  And the program says the file is 1440 minutes too large.  The DVD I'm using says it is 101 minutes.

• 21. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

pmshrdn736

The standard DVD disc is labelled 4.7 GB/120 minutes. In reality, that 4.7 GB = 4.38 GB. The double layer single sided DVD disc is labelled 8.5 GB/240 minutes. In reality, that 8.5 GB = 7.95 GB.

We know that the file size of file 1 and 2 are about 1 GB each and the other less. What is the duration listed for each of the 3 files?

What program and burner are you using for your report in post 20? In Premiere Elements burn dialog, there is an option "Fit Content to Available Space" which gives the program the opportunity to lower the bitrate if necessary to make the fit of content onto the disc. You do not want to put so much on the

disc that the program has to lower the bitrate to any great extent so that quality is lost.

Are you currently involved with the Windows DVD Maker or the Premiere Elements burn dialog?. I think that we may be out of sync on these recent details.

I am about to call it a day. I will follow up on your reply in the morning.

Just a note...my Movie Maker suggestion was based on the idea to get a file that you could import with video and sound into Premiere Elements for burn to disc.

ATR

• 22. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                                                    pmshrdn736 Level 1

I have a thought, please bear with me.  I first used my Toshiba DVD/VHS Player/Recorder to copy a VHS tape to DVD disc.  The tape was so long that I used two discs as my work copy rather than use extended playing time so as to fit all the tape on one disc.  I then used work copy #1, which has 3 clips on it, to load into Premiere Elements.  Clip #1 showed it was .99GB, and the audio didn't survive the transfer.  Clip #2 also showed to be .99GB and the audio and video made the transfer fine.  Clip #3 showed to be 46MB and audio and video made the transfer fine.  Again, Adobe Premiere Elements was used in this process.  After deleting the file and downloading again numerous times, and after trying every idea you provided, nothing changed.  So today I decided to see what happens if the second disc, work copy #2 which is actually the second half of the VHS tape, were loaded into A.P.E.  I had three copies of that work copy, of my nieces wedding in a very short time.  Work copy #2 has clip #1 which shows to be .99GB, clip #2 shows to be .99GB and clip #3 shows to be 247MB.  I then went back to the DVD/VHS machine to make another attempt at making a work copy.  When work copy #1A was loaded into A.P.E. the result, if you can believe this, was a project that played the video from work copy #1A but the music from work copy #2.  Now here is the strange part.  As I had before, I tried loading the project into Windows DVD Maker.  Whether I used work copy #1 or work copy #1A the program shows clip #1 as being .99GB or about 30 minutes; clip #2 shows as being .99GB or about 31 minutes and clip #3 shows as being 1440GB or about 25 hours and 38 minutes.  Could this be the cause of the original problem?  If so, is there a way to correct the false time reading?  I got to thinking that possibly that false time reading may have caused A.P.E. to eliminate the audio track in an effort to save space.  Otherwise it's possible that I'm haunted or my discs are haunted or my computer is haunted or .........

• 23. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

pmshrdn736

For the time being, let us take Windows Movie Maker out of the equation and focus on trying to get content with consist and explainable file names and sizes and content.

I think that I followed you all the way, but let me restate to be sure....

1. Beginning of VHS Tape

VHS Tape

DVD/VCR player/recorder to digitize the VHS content to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc.

Because of the amount of content on the disc, you stopped recording when the first DVD disc was full with DVD-VIDEO Content.

So you had

1 DVD disc with the beginning part of the VHS tape content

File 1 (VTS_01_1.VOB), file size 0.99 GB, duration _______?

File 2 (VTS_01_2.VOB), file size 0.99 GB, duration _______?

File 3 (VTS_01_3.VOB), file size 46 MB, duration ________?

1 a. Supposed Repeat of 1. Beginning of VHS Tape

Later you went back and repeated this VHS to DVD-VIDEO for the first half of the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc

And you got

1 DVD disc with the beginning part of the VHS tape content

File 1 (VTS_01_1.VOB), file size 0.99 GB, duration about 30 minutes

File 2 (VTS_01_02.VOB), file size 0.99 GB, duration about 31 minutes

File 3 (VTS_01_03.VOB), file size 1440 GB, duration about 25 hours and 38 minutes.

Concerns. The maximum size of a video file VOB is 0.99 GB so there is a problem with what you are calling File 3. What is the name of this File 3.

The second problem with that information is that you had just said that file 3 of the original "1" had a file size of 46 MB. And, your 1 a was

supposed to be a repeat.You concluded by saying that both 1 and 1a File 3 has this huge file size and duration.

Where and when are you seeing this huge file size and duration for File 3.

Whether I used work copy #1 or work copy #1A the program shows clip #1 as being .99GB or about 30 minutes; clip #2 shows as being .99GB or about 31 minutes and clip #3 shows as being 1440GB or about 25 hours and 38 minute.

The "2" for the second half of the VHS tape will have file name the same as "1", but the content of the files will vary depending on the place where you start

to record again to finish off the VHS to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. We can go into this phase more fully once we are together on the details of the 1 and 1a.

Could you be getting confused with overlapping content when you might be starting the VHS to DVD-VIDEO at different time on the VHS tape?

I will think about this some more.

ATR

• 24. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                                                        pmshrdn736 Level 1

I think I may have confused you a little bit, sorry.  Hope this might be easier to follow.

1.  Copied nieces VHS tape to DVD discs.  Tape runs approximately 2hr. 39min.

2.  Put first part on work copy 1.  This consisted of the lead up to the ceremony and the ceremony itself, ending with still shots of the wedding party, in the park.  About 1hr. 1min.

3.  Put second part on work copy 2.  This consisted of the wedding reception, beginning to end.  About 1hr 38min.  No possibility of overlapping content.

4.  Ran both work copy 1 and work copy 2 on the VCR that's hooked up to the TV.  (Not the Toshiba copy machine).  Both ran through, beginning to end with no glitches.

5.  Opened Adobe Premiere Elements and loaded work copy #1 so as to make three finished copies, one for bride and groom, one for bride's parents, one for groom's parents.

6.  When placed on the timeline, contents of work copy 1 had no audio for VTS_01_1.VOB while VTS_01_2.VOB and VTS_01_3.VOB were whole.

7.  Tried for several days to eliminate the problem with no success.  A.P.E. showed file sizes of .99GB, .99GB and 47MB respectively.  The 47MB is actually about 2 minutes of still pictures of       the wedding party.  I was not going to attempt to burn the project until correcting the audio problem.

8.  Wrote in to the community forum and happily received your response.  Tried every thing you offered without success.  Though I am thankful for all your time and effort.  While nothing worked       so far, I have learned a few things and will retain my notes so as to keep this information at hand.  (Don't know how you're able to maintain all that info).

9.  At this point, in view of the results of step #4, I thought to try Windows DVD Maker to see what developed.  Loaded work copy 1 into that program, which recognized the audio in the first clip       (VTS_01_1.VOB).  I did not run the work copy, beginning to end, in this program.  But I felt that as long as the audio was present in the first clip, this program would allow me to burn the           copy.  When the burn button was pushed, I received the error message "Will Not Fit", and the duration of 30 min for clip 1, 30 min. for clip 2 and 25 hours and 30 min. for clip 3.  Clip 3 being       the 2 minutes of still pictures.  After trying unsuccessfully to remedy this problem it was time to try a different approach.

10.  Opened A.P.E. and loaded work copy 2 onto the timeline.  Successfully made three finished copies of this disk in a short period of time.

11.  Took the VHS tape back to the Toshiba to make another copy (work copy 1A) of the first segment.

12.  Played copy 1A in the TVs VCR and it played fine, no glitches.

13.  Opened A.P.E. and put work copy 1A on the Timeline.  This time there was audio in clip 1, which could be seen on the audio line, but it was the audio from work copy 2.  This, even though       I had deleted the files from work copy 2.

14.  Accepted the fact that this has become a career.  Can't imagine what you're thinking.  Since beginning this endeavor I have become much older and grouchier.  My dog will no longer walk         with me.  Neighbors go back in the house when they see me coming.  Oh, and my wife sticks out her tongue and makes funny noises whenever I turn my back. 

• 25. Re: why is audio missing from movie
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

pmshrdn736

I am in the process of reading your latest post detail per detail and should be reporting back in the morning.

When all is said and done, your family should enjoy and cherish your work and all should be well.

Please keep that thought.

ATR