25 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2015 11:02 AM by frankmnl

How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...

Andrew Mumford

By which I mean a few things in particular ...

1. The Zoom in / out animation.

2. The blank Adjustments UI that appears every time you switch between photos in Develop ...

3. The annoying incorrect display of an image at the "fitted" magnification with the therefore incorrectly sized crop UI overlaid the first time you go into the crop tool on a newly displayed image.

Surely these things can be turned off ? In general I can't imagine why I would want to see "nifty" UI animations over just having the correct UI "blitted" too screen as soon as it is ready ?

• 1. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure what you are referring to, really. But the way to stop those "animations" is to stop using Lightroom.

• 2. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
            Andrew Mumford Level 1

Wow thats a great answer Jim - thanks for your "helpful" response !

• 3. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...

Well, I'm sorry, but your question came across to me as being rather flippant. The UI is what it is. You can see what can be adjusted from the preferences file. If it can't be adjusted satisfactorily there then it can't be adjusted. I don't know what you mean by "blank adjustments". If you are referring to the shift in the image it's Lightroom switching from the JPEG preview to the Lightroom-generated preview of the raw image data.I don't know what you mean by "fitted" magnification. And when you open the crop tool, Lightroom defaults to the aspect ratio of the image as it was taken. You have to choose other aspect ratios. Probably didn't answer your questions. But, frankly, you questions were a bit confusing for the most part.

• 4. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                Andrew Mumford Level 1

Here's some more detail and if I seem flippant it's because I can't imagine how anyone else would not be annoyed by these issues in everyday use - I'm coming from, or trying at least, from Aperture and comparing to Capture One where the things I'm talking about don't exist a s features / bugs, other problems do of course but I'm just trying to find the right balance of functionality & speed while I wait to see if the "new" replacement for Aperture will ever be as good as the old one was....

As for the UI being what it is - so you're saying if I don't like it what ? No don't bother answering that I think I already got your point.

There's all kinds of "hidden" ways to customize the finder and many other applications in Mac by adding switches to the launch commands or modifying preference "files" - I guess I was hoping there was some power user here who could reveal some hidden magic ...

1. The Zoom in / out animation. - The image zooms between the "Fitted" size / magnification as selected by the "Fit" & "1:1" function in the UI elements just above the Navigator tab in the screen left Navigator / Preset's / Snapshot's / History / Collections / Copy/Paste tab.

2. The blank Adjustments UI that appears every time you switch between photos in Develop ... - when you switch between photos, (left arrow and right arrow), the whole of the screen right Develop Settings Tab momentarily "grays" out and then refreshes with the correct parameters - this visual "blink" in the program's UI is very distracting - particularly when I'm trying to AB images while watching the histogram for continuity of exposure.

3. The annoying incorrect display of an image at the "fitted" magnification with the therefore incorrectly sized crop UI overlaid the first time you go into the crop tool on a newly displayed image. - In the Develop module Crop an image to some small factor and then toggle crop mode on and off - the first time you do this on an image that you've just selected / displayed / navigated too the Crop UI is displayed over an incorrectly sized preview of the image until it get's rebuilt - it's simply bad engineering where the order of operations needs to be set such that the UI fro the Crop and the correctly sized and calculated image needs to be output to the screen at the same time.

• 5. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...

1. I'm sorry, but I still don't understand what your problem is here.

2. When switching from one image to the next, Lightroom has to read the adjustments that you have made from the catalog and apply them to the image. Until those adjustments are read they cannot be displayed. Consequently, blank adjustments. Lightroom is waiting for the data from the catalog.

3. Same thing with the zoom feature. If you have cropped an image in Lightroom has to read that cropping information from the catalog. Sometimes this can take a few nanoseconds to complete.

The only conclusion I can draw about your concerns and complaints is that if the issues you are complaining about are so terribly slow that they are that distracting, perhaps you have a performance issue with your computer.

In reading your concern for number 1 again, that little navigation panel is supposed to zoom so that it can display the area that is on the screen. Then you can drag that little zoomed area around in the navigator panel in order to see other areas of your image. If that isn't what you mean then please explain further.

• 6. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                    Andrew Mumford Level 1

The Image in the main display window "animates", visually "zooms" / "tweens" between the "fitted" image size and the "zoomed" 1:1 image size - Imagine you looked through a viewfinder on a camera fitted with a zoom lens and twisted the ring on the lens to zoom between one extreme and the other - the time it takes to move between the two positions is a "zoom". Why do I need Lightroom to do this for me in the context of a software program editing images- it slows things down and is a unnesscary distraction. Speed is everything.

1. I'm sorry, but I still don't understand what your problem is here.

In reading your concern for number 1 again, that little navigation panel is supposed to zoom so that it can display the area that is on the screen. Then you can drag that little zoomed area around in the navigator panel in order to see other areas of your image. If that isn't what you mean then please explain further.

Both Aperture and Capture One do not exhibit this problem - it's simply poor design / engineering - sorry if you can't see that.

2. When switching from one image to the next, Lightroom has to read the adjustments that you have made from the catalog and apply them to the image. Until those adjustments are read they cannot be displayed. Consequently, blank adjustments. Lightroom is waiting for the data from the catalog.

3. Same thing with the zoom feature. If you have cropped an image in Lightroom has to read that cropping information from the catalog. Sometimes this can take a few nanoseconds to complete.

Ah the old "it's your computer" chestnut - New MacPro Quad Core 12Gb Ram Dual D300 chips and as I keep saying - I don't see these problems in Aperture or Capture One - everything happens quickly and almost immediately without these annoying visual glitches onscreen - sorry it's in Lightroom, not the computer and not between the Computer and my chair.

The only conclusion I can draw about your concerns and complaints is that if the issues you are complaining about are so terribly slow that they are that distracting, perhaps you have a performance issue with your computer.
                    • 8. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                      Andrew Mumford Level 1

Wait - don't go ! No chance at reconciliation ? Who's going to call the caterers, the Priest ?

I can do nice too but I'm afraid you had me at - "But the way to stop those "animations" is to stop using Lightroom." on this one.

Thanks for your time.

• 9. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                        areohbee Level 5

At the risk of throwing gas on the fire, I don't think the "animations" slow anything down. In other words, they happen (and consume scant resources) simultaneously as Lightroom is crunching image data for whatever's next. I never even noticed them until I made a concerted effort to - they generally happen (smoothly) in a tiny fraction of a second, so no - not annoying (hardly even noticeable, even when efforting).

FWIW - I am the kinda guy who prefers no animations of anything (I don't even use transitions in my slide-shows), no sound effects, none of that nonsense..

I think Jim Hess is correct: if they are even significantly noticeable to you, it may be evidence of a deeper performance problem (I don't mean computer specs, I mean for some reason it's not playing nice with Lightroom, or vice versa if you prefer..).

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear, but it's the best I've got for you - good luck..

PS - I can see animation in the navigator when zooming, but that's the *only* place I was able to notice them. My screen does NOT gray out when switching images in develop module - the sliders are disabled for a moment until Lr is sufficiently prepared, but I don't think that is what you are talking about (there is NO "blinking"). I do not see ANYTHING like what you are describing for cropped images.

Cheers,

Rob

• 10. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                          areohbee Level 5

JimHess wrote:

Lightroom is waiting for the data from the catalog.

On a technical note, it only takes Lr "about a microsecond" (I'm exaggerating) to read the settings from the catalog. What takes the time is software processing after they've been read. Not only that, but it only takes Lr "about a millisecond" (exaggerating again) to read all the image data from disk. That is why develop module isn't much faster if your catalog and/or images are on an SSD versus a rotating hard disk - mass storage just isn't the primary bottle-neck. yeah, it's a little bit faster, but only a little bit...

Cheers,

Rob

• 11. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...

Rob Cole wrote:

PS - I can see animation in the navigator when zooming, but that's the *only* place I was able to notice them. My screen does NOT gray out when switching images in develop module - the sliders are disabled for a moment until Lr is sufficiently prepared, but I don't think that is what you are talking about (there is NO "blinking"). I do not see ANYTHING like what you are describing for cropped images.

Cheers,

Rob

My interpretation of his "problem" in this regard is exactly the disabled controls as the image changes. But my experience is that is only momentary and not anything to be concerned with.

• 12. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you’re seeing is annoying for a moment but calling them animations and wanting them to be turned off assumes they are purposeful transitions displayed for your enjoyment.  They are not.  They are LR’s UI being multi-threaded and a little clunky and parts of the UI not rendering as fast as other parts and a placeholder visual from maybe the previous image or the previous image’s crop-box or the low-res preview being visible while the things all come back into sync.

It is similar to when you load a complicated webpage for the first time and some parts that start out with unknown take time to load so the whole webpage lurches into its final form.

• 13. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                                Andrew Mumford Level 1

Rob, Jim & all ...

Please see the following link Lightroom is Slow ... - amumford

These are two quick screen recordings comparing switching between photo's & dropping in & out of crop and moving between images in crop mode in Lightroom & Capture One.

I make no representations about my abilities as a photographer, technical or aesthetic validity of what I'm doing to my images - that's not the point of this.

Pay attention to two things :-

1. The "graying out of the develop tab while you switch between images in Lightroom vs the total absence of delay / gray UI in Capture One.

2. The annoying and disruptive "wrong" sized images Lightroom put's on screen in crop mode as the image is changed while it figures out "what you really wanted".

If you think this is "not an issue", "nothing to complain about", "would not effect me in  my workflow" then I say good luck to you - I however strongly disagree.

I don't represent that Capture One is perfect - if it were I wouldn't be here but I can show you the same thing in Aperture and it too does not have the deficiencies that Lightroom does in this area.

I would like to "like" and use Lightroom - clearly a lot of thought has gone into a lot of areas but this kind of basic "render an image on screen" UI messiness is not acceptable - come on Adobe, you're the 900 lb Gorilla in the room ? Really.

Rob - is there a better place to escalate this too - I really would like Adobe to at least see the problem having spent this much time on this.

Thx

• 14. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                                  dj_paige Level 9

I consider comparisons to the user interface of Aperture or Capture One to be relatively meaningless. These are different programs, designed with different architecture, and so there's no reason to expect that a function in Lightroom will take the same/more/less time than a similar action in another program. If you are using Lightroom, then you implicitly (and maybe explicitly) are buying into the fact that some operations in Lightroom will be slower/faster/different than what appear to be similar operations in another program.

But, if you really want to escalate this to Adobe, there is a link for "bug reports" and "feature requests" on the front page of this forum. If you get one "vote" for Adobe working on this, then I get one "vote" for Adobe not working on this and instead putting their time into adding more features that improve image quality and aid in workflow. Based upon my readings of this forum and other Lightroom forums, I would hope Adobe would not put effort into this issue because (as far as I have read) there is now one person who is annoyed by this.

• 15. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                                    NicHamilton Level 3

I assume the greying out is to let the user know that they can't make adjustments yet?  Not sure, never bothered me anyway even when I had slower computers than I do now.  The only comment I would make is that the OP has the Develop Sidebar set a lot wider that I have mine, maybe taking up more of the screen means more distraction?  Or maybe I've just got tunnel vision.

Can't compare it to Capture One myself as I've not used it for years but I do remember I found its interface very clunky (but that just have been me).  LR had a steep learning curve for me initially but now I use it most days and it's cut my time spent processing greatly.

• 16. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                                      Andrew Mumford Level 1

Thanks dj_paige, so happy to be told by one of the adobe "faithful" yet again that my concerns as a new user coming to the program are not important and I should just put up with poor program design and coding - you're a champ.

But if you would read and perhaps even take the time to look at the screen recording maybe you would fully "get" what I'm trying to get over to you - I don't give a damn about the relative slowness within a few fractions of a second or more - what I care about is the annoying and disruptive visual changes that happen in the interface, answer this for me ?

Does the fact that the Develop Tab (and in particular I'm thinking of the Histogram) go to a grey / blank display improve my workflow ?

and then answer this - does the display of incorrectly sized images even if only for a ½ second improve my workflow ?

Is it possible the program would be better / easier / faster to use if these two thing's weren't present ?

Jeez - lotsa people who just can't bear to hear any criticism of there "pet" program around here.

dj_paige wrote:

I consider comparisons to the user interface of Aperture or Capture One to be relatively meaningless. These are different programs, designed with different architecture, and so there's no reason to expect that a function in Lightroom will take the same/more/less time than a similar action in another program. If you are using Lightroom, then you implicitly (and maybe explicitly) are buying into the fact that some operations in Lightroom will be slower/faster/different than what appear to be similar operations in another program.

But, if you really want to escalate this to Adobe, there is a link for "bug reports" and "feature requests" on the front page of this forum. If you get one "vote" for Adobe working on this, then I get one "vote" for Adobe not working on this and instead putting their time into adding more features that improve image quality and aid in workflow. Based upon my readings of this forum and other Lightroom forums, I would hope Adobe would not put effort into this issue because (as far as I have read) there is now one person who is annoyed by this.

• 17. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                                        dj_paige Level 9

If you get to tell Adobe what you would like, then I get to tell Adobe what I would like.

• 18. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                                          Simon G E Garrett Level 2

I'm with Rob and the others here.  I don't like intentional animations if they slow things down, but the only possibly intentional one here is when you zoom in/out, and that takes about 0.1 secs.  Not enough to annoy me!

The ones in develop module are simply Lightroom processing develop data, especially when the image isn't in the raw cache.  I'm quite sure the ones the OP is referring to are not intentionally slowed down by animation.  The one that keeps me waiting most is the time to render 36M Nikon D800 images when they're not in the cache (on my 4-year-old PC), and I'm quite certain that delay isn't deliberate.  However, if anyone can find a preference setting to make that instant, I'll owe them a drink. 

If Lightroom is too slow for you and you can find a faster alternative, well there's your answer!

• 19. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                                            areohbee Level 5

Andrew Mumford wrote:

Jeez - lotsa people who just can't bear to hear any criticism of there "pet" program around here.

There is some of that sometimes, but consider re-reading your initial post again and see how it sounds to some of us - let me venture an exaggerated paraphrasing to make a point:

" Adobe are such idiots, that they would actually animate stuff for kicks which would be made instantaneous (or at least substantially faster) without such animations, and then not give the user a way to turn it off".

To summarize:

- there are NO time consuming animations which slow Lr down.

- there are processing delays, as some things are not instantaneous.

Lots of people would like Lr performance to be improved, but having the develop sliders disabled until image development is initialized is a reasonable thing to do - it's not an "animation".

etc..

Worth realizing, the people who reply most frequently in this forum are other Lr users who:

A. really like Lightroom (and have their own list of pet annoyances, and a feature wish list too..).

B. can't change Lightroom, period.

C. get a little tired of the forum being a dumping ground for disgruntled users (we are not trained to deal with people who primarily come to vent).

So, if you've got gripes:

* make them in the Adobe feedback forum.

If you want help from fellow Lightroom users:

* we love to help here in the user-to-user forum.

PS - how you word your posts (especially your initial post and title), sets the tone of the thread - worth considering if your goal is to have a discussion which isn't adversarial. Conversely, if your goal is to have a conflict, then it can usually be accomplished by wording things in a provocative manner (sometimes it will just be ignored).

Cheers,

Rob

• 20. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                                              areohbee Level 5

JimHess wrote:

it is only momentary and not anything to be concerned with.

It's a concern when you've got several hundred photos to prepare and not much time to do it.. - the delays can be excruciating.

So, I get the OP's aggravation, even though his assessment (Lr is slowed down by "UI animations") wasn't correct.

Rob

• 21. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                                                Andrew Mumford Level 1

I'm sorry Rob but If you can construe "" Adobe are such idiots, that they would actually animate stuff for kicks which would be made instantaneous (or at least substantially faster) without such animations, and then not give the user a way to turn it off". from my original post without the context of the replies then I'm afraid you are all just as defensive as each other.

It's the very first reply that I got set things of for me - flippant ? Because I used the word annoying - grow up.

Yes there are - the animated zoom in & out is a waste of time - is it a small amount of time ? Yes. Does that add up over thousands of keystrokes trying to get a 100 or so images lout inn a hurry - yes it does ! Really, nobody here gets that - you must have time to burn.

To summarize:

- there are NO time consuming animations which slow Lr down.

Of course nothing is instantaneous - my point is painfully simple - write the code such that he screen and the tool tabs are updated at the same time in the same refresh cycle - unequivocally simple and if anyones actually bothered to take 3 min of their time to watch the qt's I posted the point would be taken - but no we'd rather go on and on about how I'm "flippant" and my problems with Lightroom aren't worth even considering, I should just except everything as it is - that is after all the american way.

- there are processing delays, as some things are not instantaneous.

There's nothing in my initial post that is any way contentious - the first reply is certainly, Your first reply in your "we love too help users" forum is to tell me to not use the program ?

I guess I should be thankful I'm even allowed to pay money and use Lightroom at all - maybe I'm not worthy.

PS - how you word your posts (especially your initial post and title), sets the tone of the thread - worth considering if your goal is to have a discussion which isn't adversarial. Conversely, if your goal is to have a conflict, then it can be accomplished by wording things in a provocative manner.

Thanks for your time. I have posted to the "Bugs" forum - I'll see what happens there.

I hope you all have a shiny sparkling Adobe Lightroom day.

• 22. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                                                  areohbee Level 5

Andrew Mumford wrote:

I have posted to the "Bugs" forum - I'll see what happens there.

Good.

Andrew Mumford wrote:

you are all just as defensive as each other.

Your post was provocative, meaning: that's how it came off even if that was not your intention. Everything else, followed. Or at least that's how it seemed to me, for what it's worth..

Cheers,

Rob

• 23. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                                                    areohbee Level 5

An attempt to summarize for this thread:

* Adobe has not programmed any UI animations which make Lr less responsive, thus "turning them off" is not an option. Most of what was called "animation" is simply the transition from one thing to another when it takes time to do so. Such transition is unavoidable when things aren't instantaneous (I'm not saying there is no room for improvement, just sayin'..).

* We would all like Lr to be faster - ideally: no delays for anything, ever. How annoying various delays are depends on person and workflow etc.. it's worth communicating to Adobe (in the feedback forum) which delays bother you the most, although be prepared for it not to change (much) anytime soon - they are busy too , and there is a limit to how much they can improve performance without abandoning current design / programming..

Adobe is fully aware that the "sequencing delay" (time until develop sliders are enabled) in Develop module is one of the most troublesome. That said, it behooves Lr users to minimize number of passes in develop module, preferably to one (instead of stepping back and forth repeatedly - do that in the library module instead, if possible..).

Either that or I'm full of hooey .

Cheers,

Rob

• 24. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                                                      bhousto90 Level 3

I see that you posted the bug report about the undesired behavior when viewing the crop window/guides.

(I checked my old install of LR4.4 and it does not do the same thing)

And I remember at least for the first version of LR5 it worked without the jumpy display of the cropped image.

If you dig around in the other bug reports it looks like it came up when version 5.2? was released.

I cannot remember when I first noticed it myself, it is most noticeable when changing between that are different aspect ratios/crop locations.

Moving between photos that are all cropped to same aspect/location and it is much better. It is like it remembers the crop view of the previous photo then updates to show current one.

• 25. Re: How to turn off "annoying" UI animations in Lightroom ...
                                                        frankmnl

An old thread... don't know if you got the answer (except for those crap answers)

Locate the file "Lightroom 6 preferences.agprefs (for other versions, change the number)

Set Animationspeed to 0

Succes!