8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2014 8:34 AM by DESIGNbySAFIY

Turn black bars on side of video to "white"

Ducato13

Hi All,

How do I change the black bars on the side of my video to be the color white. I want to keep the bars, but just change them to white. I can imagine its simple but cannot figure it out at the moment.

Thank you- Pete

• 1. Re: Turn black bars on side of video to "white"
          mullet559

You could create white rectangles to cover the area?

• 2. Re: Turn black bars on side of video to "white"
            Ducato13 Level 1

Okay great- and these will stay when exported to vimeo or youtube correct?

• 3. Re: Turn black bars on side of video to "white"
              DESIGNbySAFIY Level 2

Yep, as long as they're on top of the footage they will render.

• 4. Re: Turn black bars on side of video to "white"
                Ducato13 Level 1

Thank you guys. I will give it a shot tonight.

Cheers

• 5. Re: Turn black bars on side of video to "white"
                  bogiesan Level 4

The result you are looking for is knowns as Pillar Bars or Pillar Boxing. There are many ways to achieve it including using filters built into many encoders. In AE, yYou could also create a white (not quite 100% white, maybe a wee less) layer the size of your comp and place this layer under your footage layer.

Just my opinion but you'd want to have a really good reason for using white pillars as the high luma can have an undesirable effect on the encoding or just annoy the viewer.

• 6. Re: Turn black bars on side of video to "white"
                    DESIGNbySAFIY Level 2

Hmm, if he placed the white rectangles "under" the footage he wouldn't be able to see them, correct? A super easy way would be to down size the footage so as not to cut the edges and place near white solids on the ends. Or up the frame size and center the footage and place the solids on the ends, a few ways to do it as always. This will look better if your resolution is square or near square. Ex; 1080 X 1080

• 7. Re: Turn black bars on side of video to "white"
                      bogiesan Level 4

jason dean wrote:

Hmm, if he placed the white rectangles "under" the footage he wouldn't be able to see them, correct? A super easy way would be to down size the footage so as not to cut the edges and place near white solids on the ends. Or up the frame size and center the footage and place the solids on the ends, a few ways to do it as always. This will look better if your resolution is square or near square. Ex; 1080 X 1080

There's no indication in the OP that the black bars exist at all in the original footage or appear because of the render output settings or appear because of the playback engine in use. Nor does he state who the pars were original created. Pete does not mention a need to rescale to fit a specific comp size. If the original layer is indeed edge-to-edge video then he could simply add a mask to the footage and reveal the underlying white layer. As usual, there are many ways to accomplish something in AE (or by using other, far less complicated tools) and we do not have enough information to make a definitive response.

>> Hi All,How do I change the black bars on the side of my video to be the color white. I want to keep the bars, but just change them to white. I can imagine its simple but cannot figure it out at the moment.Thank you- Pete <<

• 8. Re: Turn black bars on side of video to "white"
                        DESIGNbySAFIY Level 2

Point taken, but I'm sure if all he wants is white bars instead of black then one of the suggestions will work. Actually theres no need to adjust the footage or mask anything. Simply placing white (or near white) solids over the black one will work, can't think of a simpler way.