4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2014 12:15 PM by SweetEddie

It's nearly 2015 - SSD Question

SweetEddie

Price, performance and life expectancy of SSD's have improved substantially

since 2012.  They seem to be prepared to handle a lot more of PPro & AE tasks

than previously thought.

I am building a new system with a Samsung Pro SSD 256gb.  I will have 32gb ram

and 4 1TB HDD's. 

I plan on optimizing the SSD: remove hibernate file, superfetch & prefetch.

I would like to keep the following on this SSD:

OS, programs, all media cache, persistent disc cache, global performance cache,

2gb pagefile.

Will this be okay?  If not, why not?

I've spent many, many hours on research, and it is often confusing, and more

often, totally diametrically opposed to itself.  ie, Put media cache on an SSD, don't put

media cache on an SSD.  Limit pagefile size, let Windows manage dynamically.

Remove system restore from SSD, keep on your SSD.

I keep seeing so many disc setup discussions and examples that rave about the speed

of SSD's, only to find out that so many users are using 120gb-240gb premium SSD's only

to store their OS and programs on these, leaving all that speed potential to waste.

ie, even Harm Millard's system shown in his personal set-up is using a Samsung Evo 240gb

which is only using 31gb.  What's the point?