1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 30, 2014 1:22 AM by cc_merchant

What power supply for my build ?

Pseudonomdeblog

Looking to build a new PC for video editing, rendering, mostly After Effects, some Premiere Pro and a bit more of C4D everyday. No gaming.

I've got this :

Intel i7 5820k (thinking of OC to 4ghz)

Asus X99-A (same as deluxe but don't need the extra features)

4x 8GB (32gb) G skill ripjaws 4 DDR4 2400

1x Crucial SSD 256gb (already got this)

2x 3TB Hard drives (got those)

1x nVidia 970 GTX (will use my GTS450 meanwhile until the software updates)

1x Full ATX tower Cooler Master case (already got it)

I was thinking going for the Kraken X61 liquid cooler to enable me to OC, but i'd rather go wtih something cheaper if that's an option.

What i don't is if my PSU Corsair TX650 that i bought two years ago is sufficient for all this. According to a website power calculator it isn't but the information i gather from different forums tells otherwise, that's why I'm asking here.

Also, any reason not to get the G Skill value brand of RAM and save a couple bucks ?

Thank you so much.

• 1. Re: What power supply for my build ?
          cc_merchant Level 4

From Tweakers Page - What kind of PC to use?

Go to eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5 and get the Pro version. Enter all your components, including planned expansions, set the Motherboard to High End - Desktop, set the CPU Utilization (TDP) to 100%, set System Load to 100% and Capacitor Aging to 30% and press the Calculate button. Add 10 - 15% to this Wattage for safety and note the required amperage on the various rails (+3.3V, +5V and +12V). Based on these figures, select a good GOLD or PLATINUM label PSU, that meets the total wattage and the amperage on each rail. It is your best guarantee for long and reliable, trouble-free editing.

It is a myth that a big PSU uses more electricity than a small PSU. If the system needs 600W to run, a 650W PSU will use 600W and run at 92% of its capacity. A 1200W PSU will draw the same 600W from the wall outlet, but runs at 50% of its capacity. It is comparable to a Formula 1 race with a safety car situation. Bernd Schneider in his Mercedes AMG safety car will run at 92% of its capacity, the Formula 1 cars run at 50% of their capacity.

Corsair Hydro coolers do not give better cooling performance than air coolers from Cooler Master or Noctua, nor do they run quieter. They are only more expensive. Don't forget that air coolers in push-pull configuration have two fans, that are replaced by two fans on the radiator when using a Corsair Hydro. Unfortunately, the Corsair fans are pretty noisy, thereby defeating the intention of water cooling to make things more silent. Effectively, one replaces two fans with an average noise level of 25 dB with two radiator fans with 35 dB. If the cooling performance was better, that extra noise might be overlooked, but that is not the case. Up to around 4.8 GHz overclock, the performance difference between air coolers and Corsair Hydro is negligent. So, if you opt for Corsair Hydro coolers, you don't get better cooling, you do get more noise, more power consumption (because of the waterpump) and you spend a lot more.