1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 30, 2014 9:53 AM by A.T. Romano

Jerky, stutters playback on clips and timeline

Tortureprawn

HI,

I have just installed elements 12 onto my admittedly old laptop after making the leap from the 1st version.  I have uploaded all of my footage but the playback on the clips and the timeline are jerky and stuttery. I am going to have a hard time editing the footage if I can't be sure that the edits are in the right place, since I intend for this particular project to be edited to music.

My questions is to really see if there is anything I can do about it or if it's a problem with the running speed on my laptop.  I'm not really too savvy with PC's so to be quite honest so I am at a bit of a loss.  Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Jerky, stutters playback on clips and timeline
          A.T. Romano Level 7

tortureprawn

You have Premiere Elements 12. Have you updated it to the 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Update?

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 running?

Next order of questions...related to what you are importing into the project...

a. What are the properties of your source? We could direct you to properties readout programs (MediaInfo, GSpot utility, etc), but

maybe we could get all the information needed for this particular question by knowing the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the

imported video.

b. Setting up the project is important. Are you (manually) or the program (automatically) setting the project preset based on

the properties of the source media? If you do not know what is being set, then please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and

tell us the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio.

c. When you import your source file into the Expert workspace Project Assets and drag it to the Timeline (Video Track 1), is there an orange line over

its content? If you press the Render button above the Timeline, does a Rendering dialog pop up or do you just get playback of the Timeline

content in the Edit area monitor? Or, if there is an orange line over the content, do you ignore it and just play back the unrendered Timeline?

Let us pause here for you to review the above and then we can decide what next based on your answers. Please do not hesitate if any questions or need clarification on the above.

Thank you.

ATR