8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2014 11:03 AM by Seanb_us

Best practices: setting a language for an InDesign document

Seanb_us Level 1

Please comment to let me know if I'm doing this wrong.

1. I inherited an English language ID document and when I tried spell checking ran into an issue that the "Language" was set to "Spanish." The dictionary was already set to English.
      2. So, I chose the object cursor, made sure nothing in the document was selected, then clicked Type > Character and set the Language to English.
      3. But, spell checker still failed for the same reason.
      4. So, I chose the object cursor, Cttrl+A to select everything, and then clicked Type > Character and set the Language to English. Thereafter, the spell check worked.

Is that last step, 4, what you would expect to be necessary to set the language for a document, or should step 2 have done it? Thoughts about setting document language appreciated. BTW, ID online help ... bloody useless.

• 1. Re: Best practices: setting a language for an InDesign document
          Seanb_us Level 1

Oh, that failed. Choosing the object cursor, Ctrl+A to select everything, and then clicking Type > Character and set the Language to English, only set the language for the current page.

I found that if I zoomed out, I could select facing pages, but that was it. What a pain for a 200-page document.

Is there another way to globally set the language?

Sean

• 2. Re: Best practices: setting a language for an InDesign document
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Language is a character level attribute, so it must be set for the actual text. It has nothing to do with your choice of dictionaries in the prefs.

If you are sure there are no words that should not be assigned English, you can use Find/Change to change the language, or redefine the styles. or both.

• 3. Re: Best practices: setting a language for an InDesign document
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is that last step, 4, what you would expect to be necessary to set the language for a document, or should step 2 have done it?

Language is a character attribute so you have to do at least step 4 and probably more, because you have to worry about styles also. Have language be a a character attribute lets you set multiple languages inside of a single doc.

I use this AppleScript (OSX only) to completely reset a doc's language. Change the first line's "English: USA" to switch languages

----------------------------------

set lang to "English: USA"

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

set pstyles to all paragraph styles of active document

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in pstyles

try

set applied language of item i of pstyles to lang

end try

end repeat

set cstyles to all character styles of active document

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in cstyles

try

set applied language of item i of cstyles to lang

end try

end repeat

try

set applied language of every paragraph of every story of active document to lang

end try

end tell

BTW, ID online help ... bloody useless.

I've found Google searches work better. Look for the helpx.adobe.com returns

Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 1.38.03 PM.png

Gets

Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 1.40.05 PM.png

• 4. Re: Best practices: setting a language for an InDesign document
                Seanb_us Level 1

Oh, this is no fun. Even that does not set the language in tables. Ugh.

• 5. Re: Best practices: setting a language for an InDesign document
                  Seanb_us Level 1

How do I use the Find/Change dialog box to find Spanish and replace with English US?

Belay that. The Find Format text box is apparently clickable....I might have this. I wonder if there's any way to search for any language not US English and replace with US English?

UPDATE: Find/Replace did it. Yay!

Thanks!

Sean

• 6. Re: Best practices: setting a language for an InDesign document
                    Seanb_us Level 1

Google is great. It knows everything.

In Windows 8, unfortunately. Is there any script for that?

Cheers,

Sean

• 7. Re: Best practices: setting a language for an InDesign document
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's a simple script so ask over in the scripting forum if someone can translate it to javascript for you.

To include tables it would be:

set lang to "English: USA"

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

set pstyles to all paragraph styles of active document

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in pstyles

try

set applied language of item i of pstyles to lang

end try

end repeat

set cstyles to all character styles of active document

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in cstyles

try

set applied language of item i of cstyles to lang

end try

end repeat

try

set applied language of every paragraph of every story of active document to lang

end try

try

set applied language of every paragraph of every cell of every table of every story of active document to lang

end try

end tell

-------------------------------------