10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2014 8:25 PM by A.T. Romano

No  sound on playback  with Premiere  13

fcritz

No  sound on playback   with Premiere 13.     Sound  exists  when played back on Camcorder .but not when uploaded to desktop ( Window 8 desktop) and playback  with Premiere  13.  Please assists.

• 1. Re: No  sound on playback  with Premiere  13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

fcritz

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 installed on?

Are you importing a file that has video linked to audio?

What are the properties of your source media? And what is your project preset, set by you (manually) or by the project (automatically)?

If you do not know, please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel

Aspect Ratio, even if the field look grayed out.

The brand/model/settings of the camera used to record the video/audio might prove the quick way to get at the import file properties.

The above answers will direct us in what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: No  sound on playback  with Premiere  13
            fcritz Level 1

Hi

I have the following details:

Elements Organizer

Core Version: 13.0 (20140831.m.62014)

Language Version: 13.0 (20140831.m.62014)

Current Catalog:

Catalog Name: My Catalog

Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My

Catalog\

Catalog Size: 1MB

Catalog Cache Size: 10.2MB

1)    What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 installed

on?

System:

Operating System Name: Windows 8

Operating System Version: 6.3

System Architecture:

Built-in Memory: 7.9GB

Free Memory: 4.5GB

Important Drivers / Plug-ins / Libraries:

Microsoft DirectX Version: 9.0

Apple QuickTime Version: Not installed

Adobe Reader Version: Not installed

Adobe Acrobat Version: Not installed

CD and DVD drives:

E: (hp DVD-RAM BUS: 2 ID: 2 Firmware: SW830)

2)    Are you importing a file that has video linked to audio?  & The

brand/model/settings of the camera used to record the video/audio might

prove the quick way to get at the import file properties. -  Yes , I  have

recorded film on Canon HD HF G30  which sound does exists when I play it

back on camcorder .

3)    What are the properties of your source media? And what is your project

preset, set by you (manually) or by the project (automatically)?

If you do not know, please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the

readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel

I did  not alter the original setting .  Is it possible that these original

settings  are not set for play sound thru a desktop  speakers ?

Thank you for your help .

• 3. Re: No  sound on playback  with Premiere  13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

fcritz

Right now I am zeroing in on your camera (Canon HD HF G30), the source of your video file being imported into the project.

It would seem that you are recording with AVCHD video compression. Is the file extension that you get in Premiere Elements .mts or .mp4?

The other important question is whether the audio linked to the video is Stereo (2 channels) or 5.1 channel.

At any time do you import the file into the Elements Organizer 13? If so, does the file have sound there when you try to play back the file at that location?

Also, there are a lot of frame rate possibilities - 59.94p, 59.94i, 29.97p, 23.98p.

Can you find out which of these properties characterizes your specific import into Premiere Elements? I want to suggest the best possible project

preset for your project to rule in or out that the project setup has anything to do with your issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: No  sound on playback  with Premiere  13
                fcritz Level 1

Hi

It is an   AVCHD video compression.  I am

not able to tell what file extension  is used (see attached below)  .  Where

can I go determine  file extension.  I am using audio linked to the video is

Stereo (2 channels).  Definitive  technology speakers.

It does  work on Window  media  with sound.

Thanks  for your help

• 5. Re: No  sound on playback  with Premiere  13
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

fcritz

Thanks for the reply.

The file extension should be displaying at the end of the file name. If it is not, then we need to find Folder Options/View Tab/and the option there

"Hide extension for known file types". Is that option checked or unchecked now? To get to the Folder Options in Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit, I believe the path is through the File Explorer. As you OK for finding the File Explorer? More information on that can be supplied. Just let me know.

Please remind me...did you give the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded your video/audio? That information should provide a good base for deciding on the troubleshooting strategy..

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR.

• 6. Re: No  sound on playback  with Premiere  13
                    fcritz Level 1

Hi

The extension is MTS ,  additional

information requested.

I have the following details:

Elements Organizer

Core Version: 13.0 (20140831.m.62014)

Language Version: 13.0 (20140831.m.62014)

Current Catalog:

Catalog Name: My Catalog

Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My

Catalog\

Catalog Size: 1MB

Catalog Cache Size: 10.2MB

1)            What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13

installed on?

System:

Operating System Name: Windows 8

Operating System Version: 6.3

System Architecture:

Built-in Memory: 7.9GB

Free Memory: 4.5GB

Important Drivers / Plug-ins / Libraries:

Microsoft DirectX Version: 9.0

Adobe Reader Version: Not installed

Adobe Acrobat Version: Not installed

CD and DVD drives:

E: (hp DVD-RAM BUS: 2 ID: 2 Firmware: SW830)

2)            Are you importing a file that has video linked to audio?  &

The brand/model/settings of the camera used to record the video/audio might

prove the quick way to get at the import file properties. -  Yes , I  have

recorded film on Canon HD HF G30  camcorder which sound does exists when I

play it back on camcorder .

3)            What are the properties of your source media? And what is your

project preset, set by you (manually) or by the project (automatically)?

If you do not know, please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the

readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel

I did  not alter the original setting .  Is it possible that these original

settings  are not set for play sound thru a desktop  speakers ?

Thank you for your help .

• 7. Re: No  sound on playback  with Premiere  13
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

fcritz

Very helpful additional information. Thank you.

First thing that caught my attention

That is a must do. Adobe requirement. So, before all else, please download and install, and then let us see if QuickTime installation corrects some or all of

your Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8 64 bit issues. Even though the following does not mention Windows 8, this is the link to use. It will give you the 32 bit version of QuickTime which you use even on a 64 bit computer.

Apple - QuickTime - Download

If you look under Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime, you should see no presets there since you do not have QuickTime installed. Just one indication for need of that software for Premiere Elements (any version) need.

Let us see where we are in the troubleshooting mentioned above and then we will work through the rest of your report in post numbered 6 of your thread.

We might also want to get into whether you are introducing the source media into the Elements Organizer 13 first or into the Premiere Elements Editor workspace first. When you import a source video into Premiere Elements Editor first, a copy is automatically placed in the Elements Organizer 13 or should be.

Looking forward to your follow up report.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Both Premiere Elements and QuickTime need to be run from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. So, please double check that detail if you have not already.

• 8. Re: No  sound on playback  with Premiere  13
                        lesphoto65 Level 1

I have the Canon G30.  The camera comes with a CD which contains a program called "Data Import Utility".  First, you need to install that program.  You probably were doing what I was doing and taking the memory card out of the camera.  Do not do that, leave the card in the camera.  These files need to be processed INSIDE the camera and then transferred into your computer.  So plug the camera into the wall, now turn on the camera in playback mode, next plug the camera into the USB slot on your computer with the cord provided with your camera.  The camera will ask you which memory slot ( a or b) you want to transfer the files from.  Next, open the program you installed.  It will give your step by step (very simple) instructions how to transfer the files.  You won't get all those folders that you usually get when you try to take the files off the actual card.  You'll just get the mts files ready to be used.  These files will play with sound in Premiere and also Windows Live Movie Maker as well as Windows Media Player.  It took me weeks to try and figure out why these files had no sound and finally called Canon and got the instructions I just gave you.

Good luck and let me know if this helped you out.

Les

• 9. Re: No  sound on playback  with Premiere  13
                          moziator

Hey ATR - its me Moziator from that other forum thread....I have Quicktime installed but when I check Organizer for System information, it doesn't find Quicktime.

Maybe 64-bit Organizer has an issue with 32-bit Quicktime?

• 10. Re: No  sound on playback  with Premiere  13
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

moziator

Great observation about QuickTime not being installed  according to Elements Organizer 13 Help Menu/System Info.

True, QuickTime is only available as a 32 bit application.

But consider...Photoshop Elements 13 and Elements Organizer 13 are now 64 bit applications. And, true we have only a

QuickTime 32 bit application. And, true the Elements Organizer 13 System Info says QuickTime is not installed. But, why then can

I import an AVCHD.mov with PCM audio into the Elements Organizer 13 and get its player to give me thumbnail with video

image, video playback, and audio playback? If the Elements Organizer 13 player were not actually recognizing QuickTime,

then I would think that I should not be able to do that.

And, Premiere Elements 13, a 64 bit application in a 64 bit system, continues to require and recognize the QuickTime 32 bit as evidenced

by the QuickTime presets that appear in Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime when QuickTime latest version is installed on the same

computer as Premiere Elements 13.

I would suggest that the Help Menu/System Info may be having a problem in readout and not player with a missing QuickTime in this instance.

Although the path to a catalog is usual right on in Help Menu/System Info, Help Menu/System Info has been seen to misinterpret...one example, citing Vista

instead of the correct operating system in one instance with other Elements version.

I do not have the answer yet. Right now I am drawn to the idea that the Elements Organizer 13 player has a problem with files with Dolby Digital sound.

I continue to work through that idea until I can rule it in or out.

But with your help and that of others, I believe that we will find the answer(s).

Many thanks for your follow ups.

ATR