2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2014 11:11 AM by JFPhoton

Editing AVCHD in Premiere Pro using laptop.  How to assign functions?

LanceWis1 Level 1

We are about to purchase a fast gaming laptop computer with i7 quad core CPU and at least 8 gB of RAM.

We will install our copy of CS5.5, with primary application being Premiere Pro.

Being able to move the computer from place to place easily is very important to us, so we rule out a desktop or workstation.

All-in-ones are not practical for us.

We plan on spreading our Premiere functions out over 3 drives:

One SSD drive, at least 128 gB.

A pretty big 7200 rpm HDD.

And a USB 3.0 link to a fast external hard drive.

The graphics display card is quite good and the display is > 17 inches -- small by desktop standards but large for a laptop.

We don't care if it takes slightly longer to boot up, launch Premiere, or open projects.

We don't care much about render times/speeds. (We don't have a lot of effects to render as we edit or display in real time.)

We don't need RAID for protection.  Given the seemingly very fast speeds of these SSD and HDDs, we don't seem to need the speed of RAID 0 (and it's not easily built into a laptop).

Our largest challenge is displaying every frame of a 30 f/s imported AVCHD file in preview/play mode (without transcoding). That's what we value.

Given our goals, can someone please help with our hard drive assignments and with some background?

We are confused about Premiere preview and scratch files.  When we play the .mts clip in the source window or the timeline, are we looking at the previously-created preview file or is the source media (.mts) actually reading from a drive and processing through the CPU and/or the graphics card?  Unpacking an AVCHD file for smooth display is a computing challenge if I understand correctly.  If good, fast 30f/s AVCHD display is our primary goal as we edit, shouldn't we assign the preview/scratch files to the fastest storage?  Isn't that the SSD drive?

And if I have enough RAM, how large does a timeline have to be before it is too large to read from 8 gB of RAM?  If we install 16, will that take care of the problem? 

Unless the imported .mts file is playing directly from the HDD, is there any good reason not to store the media on the USB 3.0 external drive?  (There are some very good reasons to store it there.)

Thanks much,

Lance

• 1. Re: Editing AVCHD in Premiere Pro using laptop.  How to assign functions?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lance,

I know the mod's will move this to the hardware forum soon, but I have a laptop in front of me that is doing very smooth AVCHD editing with three video hour long timelines and one or two more for titles, still pictures etc.

1. I have found it very easy to have the project and media on a USB3 flash drive (PNY Turbo 128 GB) they also have 256 GB, but I prefer having several smaller versus one large.
          2. This system has an nVidia GTX 765M newer models have the 800 series that does a great job of processing the MPE effects and features.  Laptop's have to be power efficient so they slow the GPU down, I solved that by running the GPU memory at a 50% overclock and in this chassis the fans are excellent with 100% GPU usage the temps only get to 56° C
          3. I also highly recommend that the second drive also be and SSD.
          4. I have 24 GB RAM it was a piece of cake installing 16 GB more myself in this unit.

This unit was tested and is listed in our PPBM results page (you have to register to see that page).  I have CS6 installed and it is great

• 2. Re: Editing AVCHD in Premiere Pro using laptop.  How to assign functions?
            JFPhoton Level 3

....I " second" Bill's motion !!! I too had to recently replace my laptop, and like Bill, was able to find a " refurbished" Asus G750JW for much less than normal cost.Yesterday, I saw some that  were selling for $1,000,but, I think you can do better than that. I have been amazed atthe performance increase over my previous Asus i7 laptop. Some of that was due to the software itself....the newest version of PPro CCloud 2014 contains improvements which eliminated problems editing certain DSLR footage and increased the amount of system memory being used. Having the 24 GB of memory certainly improves things along with the much faster Haswell 4700 HQ CPU......it normally "turbos" itself up to 3.2 to 3.4 Ghz under load, with ALL cores in use ! The 765M Nvidia  GPU  does very well....I overclock it too,using MSI Afterburner and it seems to result in faster exporting times, direct out of PPro, using the DSLR footage on a timeline with multiplevideo tracks and accelerated effects. I believe the biggest improvement came from using two newer high quality SSDs. I used the cheaper Crucial , slightly older SSDs than Bill's.....his Samsung Pro 850s are currently the best. I used a Crucial M500 forthe boot drive and an M4 for the media drive. Performance on my machine was slightly lower than Bill's because of his better SSDs.....but still amazing,for a laptop!