5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2014 8:44 AM by Peter Spier

Can't make a 19in x 27in custom grid, resets repeatedly to19x19

fofinha

Hello,

I just got an older version of cs3, trying to make my own custom poster with a custom grid of rectangles, have watched video tutorials and followed the steps repeatedly, I cannot get a 19in wide by 27in to stick, It makes it a 19x19 on portrait. I just bought this thinking I could finally get my project started but obviously there is something i have not figured out yet. Am hitting new document, custom,then trying to add my height and width, No go. What am I doing wrong? I can make some columns come up but now rows, and not in my specs. My choices are pay someone 900 dollars they quoted to make my poster grid with text and symbols or do it myself. Hunh!

• 1. Re: Can't make a 19in x 27in custom grid, resets repeatedly to19x19
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Use guide lines instead. Put them on their own layer where you can toggle its visibility.

I have to admit that I never use document rast except for showing others that it exists. I think this function is not very helpful.

• 2. Re: Can't make a 19in x 27in custom grid, resets repeatedly to19x19
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm a little confused here about what you are trying to set. 19" x 27" sounds like a page size, not a grid. If ID is working correctly, then this should be no problem. File > New > Document... and enter the dimensions for width and height. Don't worry about selecting custom, or setting portrait or landscape, that all happens automatically based on the values you enter.

You should be able to set up a custom Document Grid, as well. It's under Preferences (under the Edit menu on PC, the InDesign menu on Mac) > Grids... and use the lower section to set up a document grid. You have to enable the visibility under the View menu, and you may not like it -- document grids end up looking a bit like graph paper and cover the entire screen, not just the page. As Willi suggested, you can drag ruler guides instead, or use Layout > Create Guides... to set up a grid on the page. If you drag guides, they will run from page edge to page edge if your cursor is within the page area, or all the way across the pasteboard if the cursor is outside the page area or you hold down the Ctrl or Cmd key while dragging the guide off the ruler. Holding Shift while dragging a guide will snap it to a ruler increment (and you can set ruler units in the preferences or by right-clicking a ruler). You can also select a guide and enter a coordinate for it in the Control panel. Once set, you'll probably want to lock guides from the View menu.

• 3. Re: Can't make a 19in x 27in custom grid, resets repeatedly to19x19
              fofinha Level 1

Hmmmmm thank you for replying. I am starting to suspect my ID is not working, lol, user error aside, as no matter what I do, I cannot get the Layout/Create Guides to make my grid show. I can enter my columns across and they show up, try to enter rows, nothing shows up. I have tried exactly how a youtube video shows to make grids, of course those aren;t custom grids but squares. I want to make rectangles, not squares for a grid, but to get to step one would be nice and get ANY grid to show up that I have put the specs in for.. I can see no reason why the row/column in Layout/ Create Guides shouldn't work so am starting to think ID is not working properly unless there is some small ticked box somewhere messing with my head. I've looked at the document grids, yup all over the page. I will keep tinkering and reading tutorials but it seems I am trying to do the simplest of things and am worried I bought a laptop with a bad copy of ID that is wonky. ::(   I've looked at "default template" and cleared anything from the previous owner that I can find but there might be some setting I haven't found that is not allowing rows to magically pop up? eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• 4. Re: Can't make a 19in x 27in custom grid, resets repeatedly to19x19

Let's try the simple fix for strange things that don't work right. See Replace Your Preferences

• 5. Re: Can't make a 19in x 27in custom grid, resets repeatedly to19x19

fofinha wrote:

...worried I bought a laptop with a bad copy of ID that is wonky.

And did you also get a license transfer form from the person who sold you this laptop, since it sounds like you are using their copy of CS3?