3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2014 3:43 PM by johnt53984649

I can't get a straight answer.  How important is GHZ relative to Number of Cores?

johnt53984649 Level 2

I'm considering the following CPUs:

Intel Core i7-5930K 3.50GHz, 2133MHz DDR4, 15MB Cache, Hex Core Processor

Intel Core i7-5960X 3.00GHz, 2133MHz DDR4, 20MB Cache, Octo Core Processor

While the GHz drops by .5, the MB Cache goes up 5MB and there are two more cores.  I"ve read countless articles about this, but I'm still not sure which would offer better performance; what do you think?

Also, I highly value real-time playback (and therefore short render times for preview files), and commonly use many effects.  I also plan to use Pr and Ae together through Dynamic Link.  Which CPU would you recommend, I'm still not sure?

• 1. Re: I can't get a straight answer.  How important is GHZ relative to Number of Cores?
          cc_merchant Level 4

From Tweakers Page - What kind of PC to use?

If we disregard price for a moment, a question that comes up with some regularity is 'More cores or more GHz?'. The simple answer is, it depends. It depends on whether the main editing effort is on number crunching, where more cores are most welcome, or the emphasis is on the interaction between CPU and GPU, in which case more GHz is most welcome. Typically, if the GPU is largely left out (no rescaling and no frame blending), more cores is preferred. Editing 4K material is also a typical situation where the emphasis is on number crunching and thus more cores are better. However, as soon as the GPU is involved with rescaling or frame blending, the picture changes. In these cases the system benefits more from higher GHz and memory, because of the large amount of traffic between CPU, memory and GPU.

If you frequently use ill-threaded plug-ins like Neat Video or RedGiant, the obvious answer is clock-speed, which is much better than idle cores. So, it really depends on your workflow.

• 2. Re: I can't get a straight answer.  How important is GHZ relative to Number of Cores?
            JFPhoton Level 3

....first......review Eric's test results he posted here on this forum, regarding the new Haswell E chips. These results are compared to previous CPUs.

You will see that MORE CORES provides BETTER PERFORMANCE when using software that is designed for MULTI-THREADING...like PPro is. The new CPU chips are designed to automatically throttle back,when not under load, and to " throttle up", using " turbo" when under load. However, you will gain significant performance by safely overclocking the CPU to its best potential....around 4.3 to 4.5 Ghz....with the new 5960 X UNLOCKED CPU. So, CPU clockspeed is VERY important with PPro,but, so is the NUMBER OF CORES !

The exciting thing is that if you review those test results, you can easily see that finally, performance that USED TO only be possible using very expensive,industrial scale dual Xeon machines, is finally available IN A SINGLE CPU to average users....in an affordble package. However, certain " plug-ins" and effects that are NOT  well threaded in design CAN STILL bring a machine to its knees.....especially ones that are not " accelerated " by the GPU with CUDA. If you can afford it....the 5960X is the OBVIOUS choice....ESPECIALLY with the onset of 4K and other newer codecs that will come. The clock speed of the old Xeons used to be lower ....impairing performance even though they had more cores. NOW ,  you can get the best of both worlds in a single CPU....high clock speed AND 8 cores!!!......it's an offer " you can't refuse"...fuggettaboutit  !!