14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2014 5:39 AM by User799

Do I need the Middle Eastern edition of InDesign CS6 for use with Hebrew?

User799

Hi, all.

Yesterday I upgraded from InDesign CS5.5 to CS6 thinking that I would get full Hebrew support. I've not even installed it yet, but as I dug around on the forums and other internet sights, it seems that the regular CS6 version (USA) has "hobbled" Hebrew support, but if you want the real thing, you need to get a Middle Eastern edition. Is that right? For example, http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/arabic-hebrew.html says this under the heading "Default Fonts":

When you install a Middle Eastern or North African version, the default typing font is set to the installation-specific language, by default. For example, if you have installed the English/Arabic-enabled version, the default typing font is set to Adobe Arabic. Similarly, if you have installed the English/Hebrew-enabled version, the default typing font is set to Adobe Hebrew (or Myriad Hebrew in Photoshop).

That makes me think that there is a ME edition of ID CS6. I think I need full Hebrew support. I'll be laying out a book with Hebrew and English and another language (European) interspersed. I don't want to have to work with a version that doesn't have what it needs for Hebrew + European languages.

And while we're at it, under what circumstances does one need the In Tools plug-in for Hebrew if CS6 is what is being used? Or is there even a CS6 version of plug-in for ID CS6?

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Do I need the Middle Eastern edition of InDesign CS6 for use with Hebrew?
          User799 Level 1

Could someone please explain in what ways ID CS6 Middle Eastern edition differs from the regular ID CS6 US edition?

• 3. Re: Do I need the Middle Eastern edition of InDesign CS6 for use with Hebrew?
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It has full support for right to left languages.

If you move to Creative Cloud you can bounce from one version to another

with ease.

• 4. Re: Do I need the Middle Eastern edition of InDesign CS6 for use with Hebrew?
              User799 Level 1

Thanks for the input, Ariel and Bob!

Bob: If the ME edition has "full support," then what is the "non-full support" in the regular edition of ID CS6? Why does Adobe tout the fact that the regular edition supports the RTL languages if it only does so part way? (That's a rhetorical question, not really addressed to you! ) I'm just curious if I might get along OK without the ME edition. But I can't find anywhere where there's a chart, say, of features included in / excluded from the two editions.

If possible, I want to avoid CC. I do not use ID to make a living and can't afford to pay monthly fees over the term of this and one other small project for which I use ID. The project at hand will likely take years, and I'd just as soon lock into a solution that will work for the foreseeable future.

As for specifics, most of the book will be in European languages with Hebrew interspersed. I think the Hebrew texts will likely be (or could be) cut into one paragraph sections (i.e., if the the world ready composer in the regular edition can't handle lots of RTL, I could put it in separate text boxes. There will be tables that will need to handle European languages and Hebrew in the same table.

• 6. Re: Do I need the Middle Eastern edition of InDesign CS6 for use with Hebrew?
                TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The point is that both the non-ME and ME versions have all the RTL

features there. But the ME version exposes these features to the user.

You'll find menu items relevant to setting RTL languages, a panel for

diacritic positioning, extra options in the paragraph and character

style definition dialogs, etc. etc.

If you're setting Hebrew, you want the ME version. And since, for

subscribers to CC, you can choose to download the ME version at no extra

cost, and since the ME version includes everything the regular version

does, just more, there is no reason not to go for that.

• 7. Re: Do I need the Middle Eastern edition of InDesign CS6 for use with Hebrew?
                  User799 Level 1

Wow! This is getting weird. I just called Adobe sales (800-585-0774). The sales representative (initials J. P.) said there is no such thing as InDesign CS6 Middle Eastern edition. I told him I thought there was and that we'd been discussing it today on the forums. (I offered to give him the link to check, but he was quite adamant that he was only in sales and not at all interested in my proving the existence of that which does not exist.) He checked with his supervisor and said that he's totally sure there is no such thing. He said everything I need for Hebrew is in the regular version. He offered to transfer me to support. Finally someone whom I could hardly understand answered. He had to check around to see if there is such a thing as the ME edition. He came back on the line and said there is, but they offer support for it only on the web. I had already tried to explain to him that I wanted to know if I could upgrade/crossgrade to it, but he was speaking only of support and knew nothing of that. So I search the web more, and it seems Adobe had "farmed-out" the development of the ME edition to a company (winsoft-international.com). However, I can't find any links to it now, and it appears one cannot buy it anymore. So I guess other than Creative Cloud, that leaves only in-tools.com's plug-in. Anyone want to comment on it?

• 8. Re: Do I need the Middle Eastern edition of InDesign CS6 for use with Hebrew?
                    User799 Level 1

Well, I did find this link. They require one to request a quote, but unless the website is just stale, they still offer the ME edition. Cavalier Technical Services / CTS - ADOBE International

• 9. Re: Do I need the Middle Eastern edition of InDesign CS6 for use with Hebrew?
                      Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Adobe seem to be been working with WinSoft forever on ME versions of many products. I seem to remember the name over a decade ago, from before InDesign. I don't know why they do this, but maybe a US-based company struggles to maintain a team who would have world class expertise in Arabic and Hebrew shaping and typesetting issues, but would only very intermittently be doing that. Sometimes its better to pay an expert. That still doesn't explain why they wouldn't just bring the results into the core product though.

Certainly, it's always been difficult to access products for working with languages outside your own territory, and not surprising that US sales would know nothing. I remember the fun I had trying to get Mac OS 8 Japanese.

• 10. Re: Do I need the Middle Eastern edition of InDesign CS6 for use with Hebrew?
                        TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Winsoft is no longer working with Adobe. Adobe are now dealing by

themselves with the MENA edition.

I think this change was already in CS6. So CS6 I believe is a fully

Adobe product, and there shouldn't be too much difficulty getting hold

of the ME version. With a subscription to CC, I believe it is possible

to download CS6 ME.

However, apart from the first sentence, I am not entirely sure of these

details. Perhaps someone else can confirm.

• 11. Re: Do I need the Middle Eastern edition of InDesign CS6 for use with Hebrew?
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

My recollection is the ME version of CS6 was renamed to EnNA, or something very similar for English/North Africa.

• 12. Re: Do I need the Middle Eastern edition of InDesign CS6 for use with Hebrew?
                            User799 Level 1

@Peter Spier: I think it's called MENA (Middle East / North Africa).

@Everyone: It may well be that Adobe is not offering the MENA version of CS6 anymore. I got this note from Cavalier Technical Services after I specifically requested a quote for ID CS6 Middle East version (link in earlier post): "There is no longer any CS6.   They only access to Indesign – including languages – is through the creative cloud. However, you do not need to purchase (actually subscribe for the year) the entire package. We can offer you only Indesign for Cloud for $269.00 per year currently."

I plan to give up on InDesign CS6 ME (or "MENA"), and just try to use www.in-tools.com's plug-in and see how it goes. I guess no one reading this has much experience with In Tool's "World Tools" plug-in, right? You're probably mostly already on Creative Cloud and it's irrelevant for you. David Blatner commented on it here (Jan. 2013): http://indesignsecrets.com/typesetting-hebrew-and-other-languages-in-english-indesign.php/ comment-page-1. I guess that back before that (i.e., 2007!), Peter Kahrel wrote a script for just reversing the order  of letters (David Blatner referred to it here: http://indesignsecrets.com/free-script-for-hebrew-or-arabic-text-in-regular-version-of-ind esign.php/comment-page-1).

I'm not sure I'll be coming back to this thread any more, unless there are comments on In Tools' plug-in.

Thanks, everyone, for your kind replies and encouragement!

• 13. Re: Do I need the Middle Eastern edition of InDesign CS6 for use with Hebrew?
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've not used the World Tools plugin, but others who do on this forum have said it is good for occasional work in Hebrew, but probably not a substitute for a ME version if you do a great deal of work in RTL languages.

Just for full disclosure, I work part-time for Harbs (the owner and developer of In-Tools.com) at one of his other businesses. He's a regular contributor here, mostly on the scripting forum, and a very nice guy. I expect there's a trial you could download to see if it is adequate to your needs, and I know that he was a licensed reseller for Adobe in the past, and he may be able to get you the CS6 ME (whatever the name is) version as well. If it is no longer available, I think he would know that, too. You can contact him though his forum ID here, or use the form at Contact Us | in-tools.com

• 14. Re: Do I need the Middle Eastern edition of InDesign CS6 for use with Hebrew?
                                User799 Level 1

@Peter Spier: I wrote to Harbs to see about the ME edition of CS6, but then I found that the demo of it can be downloaded here: (Download CS6 products). Come to find out, it is the version for several locales. I went ahead and downloaded it, thinking I'd get a demo and maybe it'd link me to where to buy specifically it. However, it was better than that. After I installed the demo (as if I did not have a license), I launched it and tried to register it with my newly acquired ID CS6 license. Adobe accepted the license, and now I have a registered, activated version of ID CS6 Middle East / North Africa, which is precisely what I wanted.

So I probably won't need Harb's advice or contacts at this point. Whew!

Thanks again, everyone!