12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2014 10:23 AM by NicHamilton

Can't find history of changes I've made to photos.

gothamdan

I recently noticed that some previously adjusted photos were no longer linked to Lightroom 5 (in navigatoe, they were grayed out with a questionmark next to them). So I found the photos and imported them to a new folder using "convert to DNG" in the transport process.  Now the photos are there, with the changes, but I cannot figure out what changes I have made, nor can I figure out how to see the original photo.  Is this info embedded somewhere?  Can I get the original CR2 file back with a list of changes made??

Thanks so much.

• 1. Re: Can't find history of changes I've made to photos.
          dj_paige Level 9

Importing photos a second time is certainly the wrong thing to do, and never helps. Lightroom thinks this is a totally new photo that it has never seen before, with no adjustments or user-supplied metadata. So please, no more re-importing of photos.

What you want to do is find the greyed out photos with the question marks, and re-link them in Lightroom using this method: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 2. Re: Can't find history of changes I've made to photos.
            gothamdan Level 1

Wow!  Thanks for such a prompt response.  One snafu I didn't mention...after I did this reimporting, I downloaded a Lightroom update.  I can go back in Time Machine and find the old version where it said the photos were grayed out, but then what do I restore to my current desktop?  The old version?  All the old photo folders in their prior locations?  Delete the new version?  Heck, maybe I'll just system restore from a prior date...don't think I've changed much anyway.

• 3. Re: Can't find history of changes I've made to photos.
              dj_paige Level 9

It would be helpful if you specified more details.

I downloaded a Lightroom update

What update? What version of Lightroom were you using before the update? Did you actually install this update, or did you just download it?

• 4. Re: Can't find history of changes I've made to photos.
                gothamdan Level 1

Thanks.  I'm one of those people on these forums that doesn't have a complete clue of what he's talking about.  i updated  and installedthe software from 5.3 to 5.6.

• 5. Re: Can't find history of changes I've made to photos.
                  dj_paige Level 9

Then the instructions in the link I gave should work without a problem

• 6. Re: Can't find history of changes I've made to photos.
                    NicHamilton Level 3

Updating from LR5.3 to 5.6 should not have caused Lightroom to lose the links to the photos.  Something else has most probably caused that.

Have you moved the photos outside of Lightroom (with Explorer/Finder)?

Are the photos on an external drive that perhaps now has a different designation?

Sorry, cross-posted whilst DJ was answering.

• 7. Re: Can't find history of changes I've made to photos.
                      gothamdan Level 1

Hi, Nic.  Thanks.  Yeah...what I left out is that I used Finder to copy them to a single Lightroom folder and then reimported.  To top it off, I then deleted all the old folders and files.  That's why I need to go into Time Machine.  After I relink (thanks to DJ) everything though, I'm not sure how to move the whole shebang back to my present desktop.  Would i need to move the old version to my current desktop (as I have installed the newest version since), all the old folders in their old locations, the catalog, etc.  That's why I might just restore the whole system from the prior date.  Not sure if I'm making any sense. 

• 8. Re: Can't find history of changes I've made to photos.
                        dj_paige Level 9

Again, there are no details that would be helpful.

What do you mean "move the whole shebang back to my present desktop"? Where is the "whole shebang" now? Why is this move necessary anyway, why can't you leave things where they are? Exactly what do you mean by "whole shebang", do you mean photos or catalog file or both or neither? This "present desktop" has not been mentioned before, exactly how is it relevant?

• 9. Re: Can't find history of changes I've made to photos.
                          NicHamilton Level 3

I'm not a Mac user so don't know how Time Machine works so probably can't answer.

if it will wind your LR version back and put all the folders back where they used to then you're sorted aren't you?.  I suspect it won't do the moving though.  The Update of the software won't affect Lightroom's ability to read the catalog.  If time Machine won't move folders back to where they used to be then you just need to do the re-linking as per dj's link.

And I've just answered with dj again.  I'll stand back......

• 10. Re: Can't find history of changes I've made to photos.
                            gothamdan Level 1

Hopefully this clarifies.  The navigator had many unlinked folders.  Using Lightroom, I deleted all the greyed out folders. 

I used Finder to move all the photos that were unlinked into a "My Lightroom" folder on my desktop, and then reimported them to LIghtroom.

So, navigator no longer has the grayed out folders even listed, as I deleted them.

If I go to a Time Machine backed up desktop, I can go to a date precedes my deleting the grayed out folders from Lightroom and then relink as you suggested.

But once they're all relinked and everything is kosher, how do I get all this corrected info (linkages, folders returned to where they were before I deleted and moved them) from the backed up date's desktop to the current? 

• 11. Re: Can't find history of changes I've made to photos.
                              dj_paige Level 9

Since I'm not a time machine user, I suspect the point of confusion here is "backed up date's desktop", I don't really know what that is, and so I don't know how to move it either. But if you go to a backed up time where the catalog and folders existed before you deleted the folders, you shouldn't need to re-link anything (should you?)

So maybe a Time Machine user will jump in and explain.

• 12. Re: Can't find history of changes I've made to photos.
                                NicHamilton Level 3

Well I think I now understand what your problem is but, like dj, I'm afraid I know nothing of Time Machine so can't help.  We really need a Time Machine user to jump in as he suggests.  Sounds to me too that if you can go to the point before you de-linked and deleted the folders everything will be sorted.  That's certainly the way I'd be expecting it to happen using my back-up software.