4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2014 1:33 PM by A.T. Romano

How can I use a DVD of my band playing a song to create a Premiere 11 music video?

My Adobe Premiere 11 Level 1

Hi Everybody,

I've been making a couple of music videos on Adobe Premiere 11 by the usual way of loading in a music track and then adding photos and an occasional live video segment (with the sound of that video segment turned off). Now however, I have a DVD with both music and video of my band playing a song in a club. I'd like to load it into Premiere 11 so as to make it into a music video that also has a title screen at the beginning and one at the end (as I've done before on my other Premiere 11 music videos that I created). After, I'd plan on uploading the Premiere 11 music video to YouTube.

My question: What steps would I use to load the DVD of both live video and live music into Premiere 11, that's on my laptop, so as to make a music video out of it on my Adobe software?

I'd appreciate any feedback, especially since I'm kinda new at using Premiere 11.

Thanks!

Bob

• 1. Re: How can I use a DVD of my band playing a song to create a Premiere 11 music video?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you asking about the technical steps of burning a DVD or are you asking for creative advice on editing a video of live music?

Do you have your band's performance shot live from several angles at once and a good, clean recording of the sound?

• 2. Re: How can I use a DVD of my band playing a song to create a Premiere 11 music video?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>What steps would I use to load the DVD

Load the VOB files from the DVD into your timeline

Directly editing a VOB... or Ripping a VOB to edit using a note from Jim Simon

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322647

• 3. Re: How can I use a DVD of my band playing a song to create a Premiere 11 music video?
              My Adobe Premiere 11 Level 1

Hi John,

The DVD was shot by a local arts organization, live, from only one angle but with smooth panning among band members, and out to wide shots of the whole band. The sound is pretty clean.  So I'm wondering how I can import this DVD into a new Premiere 11 project on my laptop?

When I've created a music video on Premiere 11 before, I only had a CD of the music. I knew how to load that music into Premiere 11 as the audio track, and then added photos, along with a short bit of relevant video footage (where the sound of that footage is turned off).

Just wondering if I can/how to load the DVD into my laptop, and then into my project in Premiere 11. My thought is that I would then have video and audio loaded into Premiere together, and all I'd need to do is add a title bar at beginning and end of the music video.

Hope this makes sense. I guess my question is a technical one?

Bob

• 4. Re: How can I use a DVD of my band playing a song to create a Premiere 11 music video?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

Based on your description initially or latest report, I am interpreting your description as an easy can do in Premiere Elements 11.

It would be good to know what is on the DVD disc (DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc or some video files burned to the DVD disc as data disc).

But, either way, your answer to using the DVD disc content as source media in your Premiere Elements 11 project is as follows....

1. Insert the DVD disc in the burner tray.

2. Open Premiere Elements 11 to its Expert workspace.

3. Go to Add Media/DVD camera or computer drive/Video Importer.

4. In Video Importer, assure that the Source field at the top is targeted at your drive with the disc in it

a. you should see your video files on the DVD....if DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, then you need the check marks next to

VTS_01_1.VOB and so on in the series of that file, such as VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB. Each file, except maybe the

last one should have a file size of 0.99 GB. If instead someone has burned a bunch of video files (.mov, .mp4....) to a DVD disc

as data disc, then you will find a bunch of files .mov, mp4 to which you will apply a check mark.

b. In the Video Importer dialog, have a check mark next to Add to Timeline, then hit Get Media which will put the file(s) in Project Assets and on the Timeline.

Please review and consider and then let us know if the above targeted what you asked.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...More details are relevant such as project preset - you setting it manually versus the project setting it automatically.

But, we will save that for next time if we are on the right track for your overall task.