13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 9:18 AM by idengreen

Lightroom Catalog mix-up. Help please?

idengreen

I am struggling hard, and failing, to make a new master catalog from 2 earlier, differing, ones. I have an iMac, Lr 5.6, and import into date folders in My Lightroom Folder (in Pictures). I know how to export folders as a catalog, I think, but seem unable to import these (via File/Import from another catalog) into the relevant date folder in my Folders on the LHS of the screen, or indeed to direct where they are going to.

I have Time Machine backups and the actual images are backed up onto an external hard drive.

Any help much appreciated! Thanks.

• 1. Re: Lightroom Catalog mix-up. Help please?
          dj_paige Level 9

I don't think File->Import from Another Catalog gives you the ability to change or specify the exact date structure you want for you photos. The folder names remain what they were, although possibly in a different place in the folder tree.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Catalog mix-up. Help please?
            idengreen Level 1

So how can I get it to fit into the chronological 'tree' that I have set up already? I feel I am missing something obvious - just don't know what!

• 3. Re: Lightroom Catalog mix-up. Help please?
              dj_paige Level 9

No you're not missing anything obvious. Your folder structure is whatever your folder structure is, and File->Import from Catalog doesn't change your folder structure.

If you want to change it to something else, you need to do the work to move things (folders or photos) entirely within Lightroom so it meets your needs.

Honestly, I find little value in doing work to create a dated folder structure, I find more value in applying keywords and using those to search. But that's me, maybe you're different.

• 4. Re: Lightroom Catalog mix-up. Help please?
                idengreen Level 1

I am not sure that is making work to import all the images originally in date folders, and does seem to make things a lot clearer for me. Screenshot 2014-10-01 17.42.42.pngI do indeed apply key words as I import additionally for searching. Perhaps a screenshot would help explain my existing structure

• 5. Re: Lightroom Catalog mix-up. Help please?
                  NicHamilton Level 3

Like DJ I don't see the need for time based folders but each to their own. 

All the screen shot tells me is that a lot of your photos aren't where Lightroom thinks they should be (the question marked folders).  Once you've imported the one catalog into the other as dj says, you'll have to move the files to the folders you want them to be in.

Is the view after you ran the "import catalog" command?

• 6. Re: Lightroom Catalog mix-up. Help please?
                    idengreen Level 1

Actually this is a different catalog from the one I was using as master, so no to the last question. I have now in fact removed the 2014 folder at the top with the ? on it, as that is NOT where it is meant to be!

I have been led to understand that I shan't be able to import catalogs into master one where the master 'thinks' it already has the images in it, otherwise I see that just merging cats would be the answer.

I am still fairly sure that I am missing something obvious.. I have used Scott Kelby's books from  the start.

• 7. Re: Lightroom Catalog mix-up. Help please?
                      dj_paige Level 9

You don't have remove folders that aren't where they should be.

You just have to drag and drop them to where they should be (this is done entirely in Lightroom, not in your operating system).

It seems like a fair chunk of work to make the folders appear the way you want them to be.

If you feel your are missing something obvious, I think the overall design of the organization of your photos might be the obvious thing you are missing, and again I state my personal preference that I'd rather do the work keywording my photos than having a dated folder structure, I find that to be much more valuable. Anyway, it's your choice. And Lightroom does not have an automated way to clean up your dated folder structure.

I also think it is a mistake to use Scott Kelby's books for advice on organization. I find his writings on organizing to be very limited and inappropriate for many Lightroom users, but certainly appropriate for photographers like Kelby that do distinct photo shoots.

• 8. Re: Lightroom Catalog mix-up. Help please?
                        idengreen Level 1

Interesting comments - thanks. I have watched numerous Lr instructional videos,  i.e. by Julieanne Kost. Would she be using the sort of organisation that you recommend?

• 9. Re: Lightroom Catalog mix-up. Help please?
                          dj_paige Level 9

I doubt it, but I haven't watched her videos.

The organization that I recommend is described in The DAM Book

• 10. Re: Lightroom Catalog mix-up. Help please?
                            idengreen Level 1

The light is beginning to dawn, I think.THanks for answers above. I still have to actually merge my three catalogues, but will ignore date folders shown within Lr, as obviously these exist with the actual images on my hard drive.

• 11. Re: Lightroom Catalog mix-up. Help please?
                              idengreen Level 1

Taking your point about not organising in date folders on board:

a) how do I know which photos are actually missing in any one of my three catalogs?

b) what is it I should now be doing to amalgamate the three?

• 12. Re: Lightroom Catalog mix-up. Help please?
                                dj_paige Level 9

"Missing" photos are identified in Lightroom 5 with an exclamation point icon and in earlier version they are identified with a question mark icon

You were going to use Import From Another Catalog, you still use that

• 13. Re: Lightroom Catalog mix-up. Help please?
                                  idengreen Level 1

I have just acquired the digital version of the DAM Book. Very many thanks for bringing it to my attention. It seems superb.

Veryan